Submission Text Full Submission Page

NES Picitonary

Yep it's basically the board game. While it does contain some video game aspects, they can be skipped and are for this run.

The Basics

Comparing to the recent April Fool's submission this run uses Regular Mode instead of Alternate mode.
In regular mode you actually have to solve drawing puzzles. As this is a TAS, the answers are known without having to (successfully or otherwise) play the mini-games to draw the picture. Thus this run skips to immediately inputting the answers.
As noted by warmCabin in his current submission, there are still some minor optimization opportunities when it comes to inputting the answers. Basically it must be decided whether to switch directions to get to the next letter or wrap around the alphabet to the next letter.

RNG

RNG is manipulable for both the desired word sequence and the desired die roll of 6 to be on the first possible frame between each word. As warmCabin mentioned, there is a 128 frame rule that makes RNG manipulation of the die roll possible without losing time/frames.
More detailed info regarding RNG (as well as text input) can be read in warmCabin's submission. I don't see a reason to waste time typing, only to reiterate the info.

Mini-Games

This run uses the same word sequence as warmCabin, but foregoes the mini-games.

Thumbnail Recommendation

Yea...I don't really expect this submission to be accepted. So if I'm wrong, and it is accepted; surprise me.

Why submit then?

I submitted it for two reasons:
  • 1) As a contrast to warmCabin's run so others can see what a run sans mini-games would look like.
  • 2) My primary reason is to have an official TASvideos submission of the game which can be included in the TASmania project.
    • For those who don't know what TASmania is, it's an attempt to TAS all North American NES games--though some games use Japanese releases in the final list, this is only allowed for games also released in North America.
      • It's based off TMR's NESmania speedrun project.
      • In discussing the TASmania project with link_7777, he suggested that an official submission would be desirable even for project games that are anticipated to be rejected. He suggested that this would allow the project to officially document the runs and make it possible for others to easily find these runs even if/when they aren't accepted for publication on the site.
Please don't ban me from submitting because I've submitted a game I anticipate will be rejected. If it weren't for the TASmania project, I'd never submit this one (or any future ones submitted for the same primary reason).

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: It's still a board game, and hence still not acceptable for the Vault. And there's hardly even any gameplay to even start considering it for Moons - it's all just dice rolls and entering word letters on blind "guesses". The submission text already makes clear that it has little hope of being acceptable, given these issues - as such, rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #5940: DrD2k9's NES Pictionary in 01:37.24
Experienced player (852)
Even though there is a little less going on than in warmCabin's run I think I like this category better just because it is shorter. I guess I'd like to see both published just to show off a little more of the game, but this category seems a bit more natural. Yes vote
Player (226)
Ah, a nice, respectable vault run! Yes vote for all your good guesses :)
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... sweet!
DrD2k9
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (2057)
[sarcasm]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!![/sarcasm] Judged as I anticipated. Actually impressed the rejection note went into as much detail as it did. I expected something more simple along the lines of "Board Game + Unentertaining = Rejected" At least we can scratch one more game off the TASmania list.