(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page

Road Rash II:

Road Rash II is a motorcycle racing game for the Sega Genesis. It is the second release in the series and was published by Electronic Arts, hitting store shelves in 1992. The game features fast pace racing at speeds in excess of 180 MPH around roads based in the United States. Twisting turns, hills, obstacles and the fuzz provide a hazardous ride on these courses. Some of the other "Rashers" hold on to weapons as they race to up the difficulty of winning. Keep up, win first, and you may be victorious and move on to face a more difficult crowd. Don't forget to knock down an opponent or two on your way to the top.

Emulator used: Bizhawk 2.2.2 + Genesis-Plus-GX

About the run:

This run features the use of a menu code to achieve a hidden bike at the beginning called the "Wild Thing". It is capable of reaching speeds of 200MPH and even faster with it's unlimited nitro capabilities. It is also impossible to fall off of the bike unless there is a collision. I utilize the motorcycles handling and speed to not only reach the end as fast as possible, but also to dodge road signs, trees, cars, and provide mammoth jumps off of large hills and scenery which is one of the main playarounds in the video. I suggest turning the volume down, as I am very liberal with the use of the nitro which makes a high pitch whining noise when activated. These speed boosts are very necessary to keep maximum speed available where possible to achieve highest jumps and quick and breakneck slaloming.

The courses:

Alaska

Full of large hills and endless curves, making it a chore to watch for traffic and stay on the road. Lots of foliage fauna to watch out for throughout the race.

Hawaii

A fast and slightly curvy track with plenty of palm trees to run in to if you're not careful. Mostly small hills with a few rather large ones once in a while.

Tennessee

Rolling hills and medium curves make for a very fast track but with a lot of blind spots. Lots of road signs as obstacles between farmlands and forest.

Arizona

Rocks, sun, heat. Lots of straight roads between small hills and sharp curves. Still a difficult track with plenty of hazards that will quickly ruin your day.

Vermont

High rolling hills and long curves for the worst of a Rashers time. Beautiful scenery, but don't keep your eyes on it for too long or you'll find yourself seeing the pavement.

Reasoning behind the bike:

Not only is it lightning fast, but it provides tons of entertainment that a standard bike wouldn't. The wild thing provides a no-falling experience unless a collision has happened. This makes sharp curves especially off road at these speeds possible. You can also gain much more air off of jumps with the extra speed and nitro that is provided.

Why only Level 1:

This is the most common run category for all Road Rash series on the Genesis. It might become difficult for a user to watch all 5 Levels doing the same tricks and stunts with only limited content. Each track is one length but each Level has a different finish line that extends the race an extra 3-4 miles, with Level 1 being the shortest at around 5.5-6 miles give or take depending on the track.

Skipping the name:

I didn't put my name in due to the fact that I was not intending to publish here, and ended up being left out after completing the movie.

Other stuff:

This was my second or third attempt at making a TAS but my first game to create one. I picked this game as it's one that I already run a lot. Overall I really enjoyed the experience and can see myself doing as another hobby addition to the world of gaming. It seemed a little tedious at first having to go back and forth and make sure inputs were in correctly, spending hours to achieve something that seemed decent. After all that work it felt very rewarding to see something that looked fairly decent.

feos: Judging...
feos: This run only completes a single level, so it can not be accepted, as it doesn't beat the game according to the Movie Rules. But there are quite a few more aspects that need to be considered when TASing this game.
It does not have an ending, but the manual directly defines completing level 5 as winning the game. Here's my post talking about this, and we consider completing all the tracks of level 5 as beating the game.
The actual goal of this movie is showcasing the crazy jumps that can be done using the secret bike and unlimited nitro. But seeing a lot of riding outside of the road, I do not think fastest completion is a goal here. The fact that we only allow unlockable content in branches that are neither any% nor full completion means that to be published, such a branch needs to be really entertaining and get to Moons.
The question is, does showcasing those crazy jumps provide as much entertainment as possible for this game? The posts expressed mixed feeling about this movie: some people liked it, others didn't. So how to maximize the entertainment value while also obeying the rules about completing the game?
Originally I suggested using a level password to skip to level 5, and from my testing, it's possible to enter the cheat for unlimited nitro and this hidden bike, and then enter a password for a later level. The movie that does this is [802] SNES Biker Mice from Mars "final round" by Baxter in 05:12.62.
But after a closer look at the list of movies that use a level password, and checking them against the rule that forbids skipping to the end with a password, I figured out that the only cases when skipping farther with a password is allowed are:
  • when the game has repeating content (several loops, quests), and we skip to the latest iteration,
  • when the game has some special modes or levels that can only be accessed after the main game is beaten, or with a password
Other scenarios where some arbitrary portion of the game is skipped can be considered past mistakes, done at the times when the rules weren't defined well enough.
While in this game each level consists of the tracks that have the same background and the same names, the tracks themselves are every time different. So we're not talking about loops, quests, or anything like that. And skipping to the later levels would be arbitrary and not justified.
This brings us to the requirement of completing all the same tracks as the any% branch requires.
I really don't know how entertaining playing through all the tracks is going to be, even with this hidden bike, even with unlimited nitro. Unfortunately, gameplay is indeed a bit repetitive in this game. And as I mentioned in the thread, infinite nitro constantly makes this annoying high pitch sound that may reduce the entertainment value. On the other hand, limited nitro may result in a more boring run overall.
I consider using Wild Thing a sensible option for this game's side branch in terms of rules, but either nitro choice and the very length of this game make having such a branch very questionable, because its chance of being entertaining is not high at all.
Rejecting this run and looking forward to a proper any% run. It should not use any cheats or passwords, it should focus on fastest time at any legitimate cost, it should use all the in-game resources to beat the game as fast as possible. If still unsure what is allowed for this branch, feel free to ask further questions in the thread.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6013: Rewstarr's Genesis Road Rash II "Level 1" in 09:37.99
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Hello Rewstarr and welcome to TASVideos. Unfortunately doing a single level is not accepted at TASVideos even though in speedrunning it is. This is an issue that certain speedrunning communities would do by having a random miscellaneous category as their main category for some time without fixing it. It seems the Road Rash community is looking at fixing that mistake by having "100%" as their main category of interest. The TAS has a low rerecord count for a movie that's about racing so either it's experience or some other reason you should look into your input further. The TAS also doesn't end on last frame of input, so light Spike is here: 48031197209110527
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Player (96)
Also I would consider hidden bike as a cheat.
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Skilled player (1638)
Aside from only having one level and a low re-record count, I was quite surprised how entertaining this was. From the very start of this run, I was quickly drawn in by the crazy jumping and hazard avoidance. In fact, the ending was totally worth it...The "Death" finish was a great touch and made me laugh. I would encourage you to add the other 4 levels, as this is on the right track...no pun intended. :) Also, with a low re-record count, I can imagine this TAS can be even more crazy than it already is. As you will see from other great and successful TASes on this site, the key is always heavy experimentation, which leads to many, many re-records. The commitment to a high re-record count will certainly show the effort to removing as many frames as possible and will be extremely rewarding in the end. Yes vote.
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
We can look at this run from the perspective of this movie: [802] SNES Biker Mice from Mars "final round" by Baxter in 05:12.62 It uses a password to fully upgrade the bike and to skip to the final round at the highest difficulty. It was accepted because it was very entertaining. And it was not a vaultable branch (not any% or full completion). We have this rule: http://tasvideos.org/MovieRules.html#WeAllowPlayingUnlockableContentUsingInGamePasswords So in principle, it's allowed to unlock hidden stuff with cheats or passwords, it just also has to be entertaining enough for Moons as a side branch, Demonstration kind of goal in the case of this run and Biker Mice. But playing only the first level is not allowed anymore: http://tasvideos.org/MovieRules.html#MovieMustBeComplete So from all of the above, I conclude that if you use a password to deliver you to level 5 with this same hidden bike, and you make the movie really entertaining (I haven't watched this one yet), it would be your best chance to get published. Whether this bike provides for entertaining gameplay we'll find out with this submission. If it does, I think you'd only need to reapply the same ideas to a run of level 5 (increasing the difficulty in any available way, while also keeping the most upgraded bike). Otherwise, an optimized run with no passwords that just plays through all the levels would be acceptable regardless of how entertaining or boring it will be, since that would be an any% category, therefore vaultable.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Thank you for the welcome and information from everyone. It is nice to see lots of feedback from the community in making sure that things are done the proper way. As a newcomer I'm sure there's lots of things to learn and I am not afraid to take critique. I understand the need for a 100% category, and agree that it is not done more often in the Road Rash speedrunning series. However with seeing a couple of single level TAS submissions I felt that I could attempt a submission at the least before completing an any% or 100% video. I'm not really sure what a light Spike is or how the attached file looks different in the video in comparison, probably due to my inexperience. As far as Level 5 with this bike there are two options. The cheat used will only set you on Level 1 and give you unlimited nitro. There is also a secondary in game code at the password screen that will give you the same bike but limited nitro, but also the option to send you to Level 5. Honestly with as much as I enjoyed creating this TAS I don't see why I will not do both options along side a full 100% completion without cheats, so in either case of whether this video is accepted or not there will be other options for submissions in the future.
I don't think there's any way to define full completion for this game that'd be officially grounded (in-game rewards, game manual encouraging it, etc). So simply beating all the tracks as fast as possible, while also doing all the needed stuff to upgrade your bike, looks like the only other category for this game.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
DrD2k9
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (2070)
Rewstarr wrote:
I'm not really sure what a light Spike is or how the attached file looks different in the video in comparison, probably due to my inexperience.
First, welcome to the community. Second, a "light spike" is Spikestuff's way of updating your submission movie to cut all the frames of blank input at the end of your run. Basically this will not alter your work in any way, but will more accurately indicate the time of the run. Consistently submitting runs with lots of blank frames may get you limited in your ability to submit. If you need help knowing how to avoid/remove these ending blank frames, just ask here or in discord and we'll be glad to show you how.
DrD2k9 wrote:
Consistently submitting runs with lots of blank frames may get you limited in your ability to submit.
Wrong. We only disable submission privilege when the author consistently breaks basic movie rules. Ending your movie at the right time is easy to learn when you are already aware of other rules.
DrD2k9
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (2070)
feos wrote:
DrD2k9 wrote:
Consistently submitting runs with lots of blank frames may get you limited in your ability to submit.
Wrong. We only disable submission privilege when the author consistently breaks basic movie rules. Ending your movie at the right time is easy to learn when you are already aware of other rules.
Sorry, I was trying to suggest that if it was a continued problem with the same submitter where that person knew it could be fixed, but didn't show the desire/attempt to fix this problem. Perhaps even then I'm incorrect. This is not an uncommon mistake for new TASers, one most correct very quickly. I wasn't trying to scare anyone.
I definitely will be spending more time on making sure the TAS guidelines are met for the videos in the future
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
So this run might not be acceptable due to the rules, and it may only appeal to a niche audience. But I am definitely in that niche audience. Thanks for the run, this made my day :)
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Ugh, this engine sound killed it for me. Just unbearable. Maybe people who know the game can enjoy this bike's crazy jumps, and find this a cool concept demo, I'm personally voting No.
Can you use this cheat for unlmited nitro and also a password to skip to level 5?
I am not sure about the combination of the two but I can look in to it.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, salty!