Submission Text Full Submission Page
Barbie Super Model is a simple game released in 1993 for the SNES. It stars Barbie, everyone's favourite model, who needs to go to 4 different regions of the world in order to fulfill her modelling career. Each stage requires the player to walk to the right, avoiding obstacles, to learn the modelling routine, then return to the runway to perform for thousands of adoring fans. This game taught me how to be beautiful.
There is no RNG in this game that affects the run. All "enemy" placements are predetermined and the only bits of RNG involved in the game are the photo shoot segments and the runway buttons, none of which are required for the category.
Each hit in this game loses time, so there is no form of damage boosting required. The main strategy we employed was pressing the correct button on the correct frame (imagine that). The entire walking/driving/skating/biking section we hold Y as this speeds up Barbie by approximately a factor of 2. The fastest method for finishing the runway sections is to spin, which in the 1st stage is mapped to X and in every other stage is mapped to Y. Why they've done this I have no idea.
Barbie's only weakness is bees, which thankfully are not in this game. What is in this game, however, is Barbie moving back and forth on every single frame. This is not only a gorgeous display of both driving skill and Parkinson's disease, but also a complicated movement strategy that took a ton of time to input and saved absolutely no time.
The most complex section of this run was stage 3-2 wherein we didn't have to move at all but chose to anyways. There is 1 pixel where you're safe and it just so happens to be the pixel you start on, but since we vibrate in this stage, we had to come up with other methods of dodging enemies. Stage 4-1 also includes a pixel-perfect placement on the bottom pixel of the map to dodge the walking man at the end of the stage, so we had to stop vibrating for that one. Most other stages have no noteworthy aspects.

feos: Judging...
feos: This branch of the game is seen as too trivial on our site, because its time is the same as the real-time record has. Even if the current RTA run that literally ties with this movie never existed, the available RTA leaderboard shows that this game doesn't provide for the kind of competition we look for here at tasvideos.
By nature, this game doesn't have gameplay that is entertaining to see TASed, so it can only be accepted to Vault if it meets the criteria. But it doesn't meet them.
If other TAS branches of this game are considered to represent vaultable goals, and if they really stand out from unassisted play, they might be accepted here. But this run is rejected for triviality. See the discussion thread for more info.

CasualPokePlayer: Re-judging as triviality is no longer a factor for rejection.
CasualPokePlayer: Replacing movie file with one which removes blank frames at the end.
CasualPokePlayer: As I've elaborated on in the other submission for this game, the ending this movie obtains appears to be more akin to a "game over" rather than a definitive ending, simply showing a "Try again" screen. There is a "good ending" to this game, requiring 5000 points be obtained, and only in this ending does the credits appear.
Due to this, this ending is not suitable for Standard, but fits fine in Playground. A movie with the good ending would be acceptable for Standard here.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6027: LylatR & tutelarfiber7's SNES Barbie Super Model in 03:34.78
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3967)
This game consists of nothing but traveling to one location to learn how to catwalk, travel to the catwalk to perform the routine, then moving on to the next place to do the same thing. there really isnt anything I can see here that would be different to a WR of this game, it's comparable to Barney Hide and Seek where movement is extremely trivial. as for entertainment, while it was amusing to see barbie flail up and down constantly, it grows old very quick. No Vote.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Active player (434)
it only takes 4 minutes, it was nice
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
PCachu
He/Him
WARNING: may induce contain seizures.
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
temp. encode (speed has been slightly reduced to 60fps) Link to video
grassini wrote:
it only takes 4 minutes, it was nice
That's what she said :)
LylatR
He/Him
EZGames69 wrote:
This game consists of nothing but traveling to one location to learn how to catwalk, travel to the catwalk to perform the routine, then moving on to the next place to do the same thing. there really isnt anything I can see here that would be different to a WR of this game, it's comparable to Barney Hide and Seek where movement is extremely trivial. as for entertainment, while it was amusing to see barbie flail up and down constantly, it grows old very quick. No Vote.
Pretty fair criticism. This isn't a run that's supposed to be impressive or anything. The value of this is purely entertainment. I feel as though the entertainment that barbie flails up and down is worth it, since although it grows old quickly, the run is under 4 minutes long, so that's fine. The phase-walking through the kid in 3-1 I found to be really amusing as well.
Former player
After watching this TAS and taking a look at the leaderboard, I have two questions: Is this even distinguishable from RTA runs? The time on the leaderboard looks suspiciously close to the TAS time and there is the usual timing difference that makes the TAS time longer by default. Does this TAS actually complete the game? The ending comes off as some sort of "bad ending" and there seems to be a "good ending" for scoring at least 5000 points. As for entertainment, I voted "no". The gameplay is minimal and the only "superhuman" thing demonstrated is the wiggling, which gets old very quickly. Movement like this should only be done occasionally and never throughout entire levels, that's just bad practice (unless of course, such movement actually saves time).
Current project: Gex 3 any% Paused: Gex 64 any% There are no N64 emulators. Just SM64 emulators with hacky support for all the other games.
Personman
Other
I voted yes because I was entertained, but this definitely belongs in the vault.
A warb degombs the brangy. Your gitch zanks and leils the warb.
tutelarfiber7
He/Him
Former player
andypanther wrote:
After watching this TAS and taking a look at the leaderboard, I have two questions: Is this even distinguishable from RTA runs? The time on the leaderboard looks suspiciously close to the TAS time and there is the usual timing difference that makes the TAS time longer by default. Does this TAS actually complete the game? The ending comes off as some sort of "bad ending" and there seems to be a "good ending" for scoring at least 5000 points. As for entertainment, I voted "no". The gameplay is minimal and the only "superhuman" thing demonstrated is the wiggling, which gets old very quickly. Movement like this should only be done occasionally and never throughout entire levels, that's just bad practice (unless of course, such movement actually saves time).
The timing that is displayed here is the length of the whole movie and not the actual timing of the TAS. With the speedrun.com leaderboard rules and timing, the TAS came out to be a 3:25.744. This was made mostly for curiousity purposes to see what the fastest possible time is. All inputs are bufferable and there is no wild tech that saves anymore time RTA so wiggling back and forth was reasonably the only thing a TAS could do that a human couldn't. I agree it gets old quickly but i thought it was more justifiable in a 3.5 minute run. Recently LylatR managed to tie the TAS time meaning that the TAS can no longer be faster than RTA runners unless some more tech is found. This TAS is for the "Any% Super Model" category, which does complete a bad ending of the game, but is still an ending and fastest way to complete the game.
GJTASer2018
He/Him
tutelarfiber7 wrote:
Recently LylatR managed to tie the TAS time meaning that the TAS can no longer be faster than RTA runners unless some more tech is found.
If the submission isn't faster than an RTA run, then why bother submitting it here? Voting No for bad game choice.
c-square wrote:
Yes, standard runs are needed and very appreciated here too
Dylon Stejakoski wrote:
Me and the boys starting over our games of choice for the infinityieth time in a row because of just-found optimizations
^ Why I don't have any submissions despite being on the forums for years now...
ViGadeomes
He/Him
Judge, Active player (303)
GJTASer2018 wrote:
If the submission isn't faster than an RTA run, then why bother submitting it here?
I think it's not faster because of differences between timer on TAS and RTA runs. I think he speaks about a TAS that could be faster than RTA even with this difference.
tutelarfiber7
He/Him
Former player
GJTASer2018 wrote:
tutelarfiber7 wrote:
Recently LylatR managed to tie the TAS time meaning that the TAS can no longer be faster than RTA runners unless some more tech is found.
If the submission isn't faster than an RTA run, then why bother submitting it here? Voting No for bad game choice.
It's not that it's slower, it's that recently LylatR TIED the TAS time. That is the only reason it can't be faster than RTA runners unless some new tech is found. It would be like saying the Dragster TAS is bad because it's no longer faster than RTA runners due to people achieving the same time.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Trimmed the beginning, so that both videos start at the same actual gameplay frame. This screen is when it fully fades in. The difference in frames is due to different framerate. Real time is basically identical indeed. What we see here is an example of a movie that can't really be called a meaningful tool-assisted record. http://tasvideos.org/MovieRules.html#MustBeClearlyDefinableAsAGameWhichHasAchievableGoals http://tasvideos.org/Vault.html#TechnicalRequirements
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... 'twas dry
andypanther wrote:
Even though triviality was removed from the reason for rejection, I still agree with actually completing the game, because the bad ending in question is actually a standard Game Over screen. I'm fine with the Playground component, though, based off of the commentary that just showed up.