(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
Dark Arena is a "Doom clone" First-person Shooter released for the Gameboy Advance. The game runs on a stripped-down port of the original Doom engine and features levels sourced from members of the doomworld.com community. Officially, protagonist Angelina Bradshaw is sent to kill every monster in the facility, but very quickly she realizes that the fastest way out is to spare them all and just walk through walls instead.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: BizHawk 2.2.2
  • Objective: Beat the game as fast as possible

Comments

A GBA FPS? Yeah, they made a handful of these, each one approached the genre a little bit different. These guys just cloned doom and called it a day, which honestly wasn't the worst approach given the weak 3D capabilities of the system.
This game is run on hard difficulty. Difficulty changes the number of enemies that spawn in levels as well as some map geometry, but none of that comes into play during the run. The real benefit of playing on hard is the ironic ending, which claims you killed every enemy in the game. In reality, I only killed the final boss, and shot at one slasher in level 7 so he'll get out of my way. This is accompanied by Rareware-style cast credits, which are hilariously out of place for an edgy first-person shooter.
Most of this speedrun is done out of bounds. The goal of every level is to clip out of bounds with the fastest setup possible in the most convenient place and then reach the exit pad. There are a few different methods we have for doing this, most of which revolve around getting "too close" to a wall in some way. Normally, walking at a wall will cause you to stop some distance before you walk through it, but if we can circumvent the collision detection and get closer than that distance, there are many ways from there to fully clip through the wall.

Shallow Angle

If you walk at a convex corner between two walls, and the angle formed by the walls is at least around 45 degress, running at the corner allows us to get too close to one of the walls. From there, walking along the wall with an angle just slightly "into" the wall will allow us to walk right through the wall. You will be kicked out of the wall if your angle is too steep, or if you get to the end of the wall you're walking along before clipping. Sometimes the wall is too short and I have to do it backwards too.
The angle and position required when running at the corner can be very precise, but some levels (1, 13) give us the perfect angle and position when starting the level.

Ledge Drop

By falling off a high ledge such that we stay as close to the ledge as possible, we end up too close to the wall forming the ledge. If you do this in a right angle corner, you can then use the ledge wall to push you through the other wall forming the corner. In level 3, I push through the other wall in the corner as I'm falling, without having to set up an angle.
The clip with the stairs in level 5 uses a modified version of this trick. Because the stairs start low enough that they don't stop your movement, you can walk along the side of the stairs and become "too close." Once the stairs get high enough that you can't walk onto them, you can use the stairs to clip through the back wall.

Short Walls

If one of the walls making up a right angle corner is short, sometimes you will get forced out trying to stand in that corner. You can use that push to go through the short wall. This clip only takes one frame once the angle is correct, making it the preferred method of clipping. The leniency of the angle depends on how long the short wall is.

Other clips

In level 11, the pillar is close enough to the wall that I can use it to get forced towards the wall, allowing me to walk through it much like a shallow angle clip, even though the room has nothing but 90 degree corners.
2D objects, like the bomb in level 12 and the pillar in level 15, have strange collision that is easy to use for clipping.
Also in level 12, after using the bomb to clip inside the locked door, I use the other side of the locked door to push through a wall. This is no different from the ledge drops used in level 3, but the inputs are different because I am facing a different direction.

Other comments

This game lags constantly and inconsistently, depending on your inputs and enemy movements. This made TASing it a real pain in the butt. Thankfully it's not too long ;)
Certain levels are a few frames slower than they would be on easy difficulty. The increased enemy count creates a lot of extra lag in some levels, and this throws off the precision of the controls making setups harder.

Memory: Judging
Memory: Replacing file with 261 frame improvement
Memory: Delaying while the author redoes the submission on hard.
Memory: Replacing with file done on hard that also improves by 268 frames.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6079: tapioca's GBA Dark Arena in 05:04.60
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Wow! Just in time! I was following your speedruns and even did a short TAS of Serious Sam Advance (i'll join you, if you will TAS the whole game). I'll check later, but I think some of your clips are slow. Final boss can be improved, of course. We have to deal with the ending first. Since, you're getting OOB through the whole game, the only difference is shooting at boss for longer time. I've tested this thing: on hard difficulty we must find additional ammo on the way to the boss since it's not enough to kill him with eqiupment lying near the start point only. The framerate doesn't seem to drop of playing on hard comparing to easy (1 input frame, then 3-4 lagged frames). The only difference between endings is the text: easy - you technically die and can't escape; medium - you escape being barely alive; hard - everyone is dead and you escape freely. The deal is, what is acceptable on judge's opinion? Should we separate TASes with "Bad ending", "Good ending", "Best/true ending" or TAS the game for only once? Though the lags are predictable, they might not suit the input if we copy the input from 1 TAS to another or the same one, so TASing the game on different difficulties fastly might be impossible. But, it's ideas for now. I'm voting Yes!
TASing is like making a film: only the best takes are shown in the final movie.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Now, let's deal with the final boss in your TAS. It should make sence anyway. I'm looking for neither extra player points nor additional nickname mentions. Instead of it, try to improve your TAS yourself! Maybe, Spikestuff will do that for you if he is satisfied with your input =) Personally, I don't find it bad. All is through the frame advance. The final boss' HP is hidden under RAM address 2BD8 (at least, it works for "USA, Europe" version of Dark Arena). Having this address in RAM Watch or RAM Search will show his health at the moment. While TASing the game, go to Tools and choose RAM Watch. Then choose Files -> Open... Download this file User movie #49391617752546579 and choose it. The default directory is Bizhawk/Tools After that, you'll see the address. Alternatively, you can go to Tools and choose RAM Search. Then do what is shown in the screenshot: choose Specific adress, enter 2BD8 and press Search. Good luck. The tactic is simple. Find a spot, shoot at the boss and see if your fireballs reach him. If the address value changed, the game has registered your hit. It's not essintional even to go inbounds. Just make sure all your fireballs deal damage and you attack him at first possible frame.
Player (92)
Aha - you were right about the ending. Here's a much faster kill: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/49404416584467933
Skilled player (1404)
Is straferunning not a thing in this game?
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Active player (434)
how different is easy mode from hard? i felt taunted in the ending screen lol
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Ferret Warlord wrote:
Is straferunning not a thing in this game?
Not a thing, unfortunately. However, it's still helpful in situations when extra turning would be slower
grassini wrote:
Difference is simple for games of that era: you have more enemies and they have more health.
Player (92)
grassini wrote:
To add on to what Dimon said, there are actually some minor changes to the level design (none of which change the speedrun). In the second room where I clip in level 3, hard difficulty adds some trees for no reason. They added a ton of enemies too, so I suspect the trees are there to stop them from killing themselves. The final boss should take significantly more damage to kill (this is why I did the run on Easy), but by killing the boss before his AI activates like I do in the revised ending it seems like his HP is the same. I can't find the boss' HP in memory to back this up (the address Dimon posted is total hits landed for calculating accuracy % at the end of the level) but I suspect that his per-difficulty HP value is set when he starts walking around, and before that it is some default value. So if people want to see the game on hard, I can remake on hard. I doubt the inputs will copy over due to the lag. Hard mode does have the added benefit of an ironic ending in which you are praised for apparently killing every monster in the facility ;) And no - strafe running is not a thing in this game. Check memory address 22F0 for player speed if you're curious.
Skilled player (1650)
Welcome to TASVideos, tapioca!
tapioca wrote:
So if people want to see the game on hard, I can remake on hard.
Please do this. :)
Memory
She/Her
Site Admin, Skilled player (1523)
If the boss takes the same amount of time to die on hard, I think I'd prefer you do it on hard if only because of the ironic ending text. Let me know if this is in the cards.
[16:36:31] <Mothrayas> I have to say this argument about robot drug usage is a lot more fun than whatever else we have been doing in the past two+ hours
[16:08:10] <BenLubar> a TAS is just the limit of a segmented speedrun as the segment length approaches zero
Player (92)
Yeah, I'll do it on hard. I'll update the submission with that when it's done, probably next week because I'm busy atm.
Memory
She/Her
Once you finish, post it in this thread, I'll let you know if you should resubmit or if I will update the current submission.
[16:36:31] <Mothrayas> I have to say this argument about robot drug usage is a lot more fun than whatever else we have been doing in the past two+ hours
[16:08:10] <BenLubar> a TAS is just the limit of a segmented speedrun as the segment length approaches zero
Memory
She/Her
Any updates on how it is going?
Player (92)
Finished it. And it's a few hundred frame improvement overall http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/49743203897167609
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Hah, even faster! Great job!
Memory
She/Her
Updated the movie file. Is there any way to turn and move at the same time? One clip you spent a long time turning around in place so I'm curious if there was any way to speed that up.
Player (92)
I'm turning in place because I've used the wall nearby to set up a perfect position for clipping. If I turn while i'm still moving then it will throw off my position and I won't go through the wall. There are a few places like this throughout the run where I can't do a clip or turn to the correct angle until I've come to a complete stop. Even if you're not moving, you can still have momentum pushing you against a wall or something, and that can cause a clip to fail. So there's some waiting to do sometimes.
Memory
She/Her
tapioca wrote:
I'm turning in place because I've used the wall nearby to set up a perfect position for clipping. If I turn while i'm still moving then it will throw off my position and I won't go through the wall. There are a few places like this throughout the run where I can't do a clip or turn to the correct angle until I've come to a complete stop. Even if you're not moving, you can still have momentum pushing you against a wall or something, and that can cause a clip to fail. So there's some waiting to do sometimes.
Can you get into that position without the setup? Or does it absolutely require those movements?
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Memory wrote:
Can you get into that position without the setup? Or does it absolutely require those movements?
By my small experiece I can say it's possible to go OOB if you have the right speed and angle. These clips are something like "sliding" along the wall that allow to get inside some edges. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. It's possible to bypass the clip if you have found the position and angle, but decided to get back a little in order to get a better run-up. Maybe it depends on lags, who knows!
Memory
She/Her
Found an improvement on Level 2: User movie #49756201081348764 6 frames faster. By shooting the enemy, I manipulate it to move out of the character's way. I wouldn't be surprised if more improvements could be found though.
Memory
She/Her
I just had a thought... do you even need to turn around for that clip at all? Can you just do it facing backwards and then turn around afterwards (if you need/want to)?
Player (92)
Hmm, no I probably don't. I'll give it a shot in a bit, it's close enough to the end of the game that I can change it pretty easily. EDIT: Oh yeah, that's much faster.
Memory
She/Her
What about my other improvement where I found out you can move an enemy out of the way by shooting them? Any potential other applications? EDIT: Around frame 4040 you elect to stand in place rather than build up speed against the wall. Any reason for this? Additionally you appear to have gotten caught on an enemy at around frame 8090, is there a way to avoid that?
Player (92)
Touching that enemy can be avoided, and I do build up some speed on the wall. I'm going to have to redo basically the entire tas anyway to incorporate doing the clips without facing the wall (there are a few places where this should be faster), so I'll go ahead and include your improvement while I'm there.
Memory
She/Her
tapioca wrote:
Touching that enemy can be avoided, and I do build up some speed on the wall. I'm going to have to redo basically the entire tas anyway to incorporate doing the clips without facing the wall (there are a few places where this should be faster), so I'll go ahead and include your improvement while I'm there.
This sounds like it might be worth resubmitting instead of updating the file but I'm not sure. Want me to reject/cancel this while you implement these improvements? Note you can cancel yourself if you prefer.