(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
Mari0 is a PC game created by stabyourself.net in 2012 that combines the classic Super Mario Bros with the puzzle-platfomer Portal by giving Mario a portal gun. The game launched with 2 "mappacks", with the one most people played being the Super Mario Bros mappack containing the original set of levels. This TAS instead showcases the other mappack which features 18 Portal-inspired puzzles spread across 9 different levels.

Game Objectives

• Aims to complete the Portal mappack as fast as possible
  • Abuses programming bugs and oversights
  • Genres: Puzzle, Platform
  • Emulator: libTAS 1.3.1

Main Tricks

Portal Loops

When Mario falls into a portal, his speed is retained when exiting the other portal. If these portals are parallel, then Mario can fall through one portal to the other and build up a Y-speed of 100 tiles per second. This trick requires several portal-able surfaces, and when those are available, we use portal loops for...

Clipping

Entities in Mari0 only check for collision every frame. This means that if you have the right speed and the right coordinates, you can clip through many objects or walls. Mario's terminal velocity often works perfectly for clipping through slim objects, such as doors or enemies, and can also clip Mario into blocks.

Individual Level Comments

1-1

The first instance of object clipping is already seen in the first level, where Mario is given an opportunity to create a portal cycle. He uses this and a specific coordinate when exiting the portal to phase through 3 doors in a row, skipping both puzzles and completing the level.

1-2

Instead of using the lightbridge to get up to the cube, Mario flings himself into it using the portal-able elevator tiles to build up falling speed.

1-3

Mario encounters his first set of randomness in the form of gel. This gel doesn't cost any time though, as the puzzle afterwards runs on a timer, forcing Mario to wait.

1-4

In this game, emancipation grills remove portals and are supposed to remove other objects, such as cubes. However, we can instead use Mario's long grabbing range to place the cube next to the grill, then grab it from below so the cube never touches the grill.
Next, we use our second portal cycle to clip into a wall. We then have Mario look left, both to grab the cube and to make the game push him to the right. This clip lets us skip the emancipation grill, thus keeping the cube which we use to avoid the slow movement and random gel from the next puzzle.

2-1

The random gel makes one last appearance, however its randomness is easy to work around as it takes Mario time to actually swap between the gels in the first place. The second puzzle uses a simple jump out of a portal to skip the other set of blue gel.

2-2

Every good game needs an autoscroller, right? There's not much to do here besides trying to make this part entertaining to watch.

2-3

Mario skips the second puzzle of the level by using a frame-perfect portal shot, which gives him barely enough time to jump off the door before its hitbox becomes intangible.

2-4

This level is basically an autoscroller.

3-1

The final level is a fairly straight-forward one. Mario simply grabs the cube earlier than intended to skip the final puzzle. The last input is done several frames before touching the flagpole as it gives Mario enough speed to hit the pole as early as possible and complete the game.

Special Thanks

• Maurice for porting his game to LÖVE 11.1 when asked for better libTAS support
  • dwangoAC for making me aware of libTAS and inspiring me to create this
  • kilaye for quickly fixing libTAS issues
This TAS was created in Arch Linux (with linux kernel 4.18.7), and tested on Ubuntu 18.04 (kernel 4.15) to comply with the allowed distributions rule. Mari0 installation steps for Ubuntu can be found in the movie's annotations.

feos: I'll judge it!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6099: lexikiq's Linux Mari0 "Portal mappack" in 03:23.78
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Out of curiosity would you submit your 4 player version or consider improving on it? The TAS is well done and executed, probably something can be found in tight improvements (cause Mario) but this is really well rounded and a great introduction for libTAS. Yes Vote.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
lexikiq
She/Her
Active player (393)
I plan on submitting the 4 player version eventually, although there are some sections that I would like to improve first. (There was also a part where half of them just stopped moving that I had forgotten about.)
Editor, Player (67)
Looks good. Yes vote.
Current Projects: TAS: Wizards & Warriors III.
Patashu
He/Him
Great first linux TAS for sure, yes vote!
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Oh, now things are getting interesting. Yes vote.
Snodeca
She/Her
Player (128)
Linux, huh. I like this TAS, GG! Yes vote! (If I could vote!)
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
I am making an absolutely obvious Yes vote to mark my participation in this historical moment :)
S3&A [Amy amy%] improvement (with Evil_3D & kaan55) — currently in SPZ2 my TAS channel · If I ever come into your dream, I’ll be riding an eggship :)
Post subject: Re: #6099: noahkiq's Linux Mari0 "portal mappack" in 03:23.78
Player (26)
Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
Alyosha
He/Him
Editor, Expert player (3531)
That was a fun watch, yes vote . How long did it take to make out of curiousity?
lexikiq
She/Her
Active player (393)
Including my original TAS which I borrowed many inputs from, this TAS took about a week to create.
Masterjun
He/Him
Site Developer, Skilled player (1970)
This is a great game and a nice TAS! I liked it so much that I wanted to improve it, so here we go, 116 frames saved in 1-2 by skipping the puzzle using velocity. Here is a quick video.
Warning: Might glitch to credits I will finish this ACE soon as possible (or will I?)
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
noahkiq: Please mention in you submission notes which Linux version you used. Thank you.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
lexikiq
She/Her
Active player (393)
Added Linux version to the bottom of the submission text.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
You added the distribution version which is great, we want that (which already appears in the move integrity info). But can you please also add the Linux version? You can get it by typing in "uname -a". Please see the example here: http://tasvideos.org/MovieRules.html#UseMovieAnnotationsToProvideInstallationInstructions
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
lexikiq
She/Her
Active player (393)
Whoops. Added the Linux version as well.
Emulator Coder
Thank you sir!
lexikiq
She/Her
Active player (393)
I would like to update my movie file to http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/49895796560081098 An encode is available here: https://youtu.be/z4EFQyGEnYM Large improvements were made to 1-2 and 2-3, along a few less noticeable improvements in 1-4 and 2-1. Several of these strategies and ideas are from Masterjun, although I created all of the inputs. These changes save 338 frames (5.63s) compared to the original submission.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
I'll see if Masterjun feels like improving even more, and if you will come up with yet more improvements.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Masterjun
He/Him
Site Developer, Skilled player (1970)
Saved 9 frames in 1-1 by jumping into portals instead of falling. Comparison video. (ltm)
Warning: Might glitch to credits I will finish this ACE soon as possible (or will I?)
Super interesting and entertaining to watch! The game is dope and the TAS is even greater so. Yes vote.
The bigger question is... when will you TAS the real Portal on Linux? Because... THAT WOULD BE A TRIUMPH. ;-) Also, vote yes.
"I think we can put our differences behind us... for science, you monster."
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech!
lexikiq
She/Her
Active player (393)
Run cancelled as Masterjun & I have obsoleted it by 18.05 seconds! (check it out here!)