• Recorded with Snes9x 1.43+ (uses WIP1 timing)
  • No warps or passwords, no glitch abused
  • Fastest time to beat the game
"Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind" is a platformer in which Bubsy is on a quest to defeat the Woolies. This bobcat, who can die by simply touching a flying egg with his toes, must go through 16 chapters, each 3 introducing a new theme and ending with a boss.
Bubsy can move, jump, glide or look around. Jumping on enemies is the only way to kill them, but also allows Bubsy to bounce higher.
Several things in this game make it hard to get a perfect run:
  • Bubsy takes a while to accelerate to full speed (depending on slopes too), jumping/landing slows him down, and you have to avoid things a lot ... so it's often impossible to go at full speed. The best ways to go fast are long platforms, downward slopes, or jumping/bouncing over things
  • Levels are big and often have multiple paths, each with multiple ways to pass them (when to run, jump, etc.), so figuring out which is best often requires a lot of experimentation (and actually finding the paths), but can save many seconds at the end. While I did try to pick the best and think I did good, there might still be better ones I missed in some levels.
  • Each yarn ball I get wastes 1 frame at the end of the level (for bonus points), but most of them are in the way, and avoiding them would waste more time ... but this is a relatively minor problem, adding a total of 9 seconds (553 frames) to the run.
Time left and yarn balls on each level:
  1. 9:33 - 18
  2. 9:34 - 56
  3. 9:15 - 24
  4. 9:34 - 40
  5. 9:33 - 31
  6. 8:48 - 60
  7. 9:00 - 18
  8. 8:57 - 28
  9. 8:44 - 90
  10. 9:15 - 47
  11. 9:29 - 23
  12. 9:16 - 11
  13. 9:35 - 0
  14. 9:30 - 7
  15. 9:15 - 14
  16. 8:20 - 86

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Player (101)
With the exception of Bubsy 3-D, Bubsy was the worst game ever made, but it makes for an entertaining time attack. :) Especially so when you watch it knowing how impossible the game was.
http://girlyyy.com/ The El Viento TAS is the only decent thing I submitted here.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
Hm, very few comments here. I remember this game. It was one of the most overhyped games ever. In reality the controls were bad, the hit detection was bad, the level design was bad, and you died way too easily. Bah. I don't know what to think of this movie. I hate the game too much to make a just judgement.
Former player
I played this game much when I was younger and as far as I can remember it was hard and fun! I haven't watched it yet but the time sounds fast to me.
/Walker Boh
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1300)
This game is not that bad compared with a lot of other games... I only vaguely remember playing it, though. This run was pretty fast considering the game. (It looked like it must have been a little frustrating that Bubsy can run really quickly but can almost never keep going that speed for any amount of time due to all the obstacles and jumps.)
Former player
Yeah, the amount you slow down when you do just about anything is way too much. Although this series proves that SNES games can have fast games too! Are you planning on playing the second Bubsy game?
Experienced player (527)
I used to play this game a lot on the SNES about 9 years ago, I beat it a few times and even got up to 80 lives once (there's many 1ups and 2ups if you look around enough, to make up for the fact you can die so easily, but I also once got to Chapter 7 without dying). I never went for pure speed back then, but I know for sure I'd have gotten nowhere close to 16 minutes if I tried ... running fast is too risky, and each death wastes a signifiant amount of time. The insane amount of obstacles causing slowdowns is exactly why choosing the best path can make a big difference ... I took a look at Bubsy 2 recently, it's even faster (fast acceleration, less slowdown) but also much weirder and the controls are different ... I'm sure it'd also make an interesting run, though, and I made a 1 level run for now.
Former player
I voted yes. I enjoyed the run very much. More of nostalgic reasons than it being a great game. Anyhows, it seemed very well played and I can't find anything to complain about.
/Walker Boh
Player (104)
This movie is good, had my heart going a few times during game play. I remember playing this game too, my mom rented it for me and i spent the ENTIRE time we had it at the house playing it. I never beat it, was too hard for me to do. I have never played this game in a perfection type way. but have you experimented with constant jumping? In some games you can keep running speed or gain speed faster if you jump starting or continuing up a hill. I also know that it is very hard to avoid yarn balls, but sometimes getting too many can lead to a slow down. I'm afraid to vote because I see improvements that I think could be made but honestly have no way of proving that they are possible to make.
Soft Blue Dragon
heh load up the game on snes9x and try them =p honestly though i played it a few months ago when i made a thread about this game and i remember bubsy being a real pain to keep running fast, as he would slow down for pretty much anything
Experienced player (527)
A friend owned that game on the SNES, I used to play it a lot (around 1995) and even beat it a few times, got up to 80 lives once and also once got to Chapter 7 without dying ... it's not one of the hardest games ever, but I was mostly going for lives and yarn (500 = 1up) rather than speed at the time. Anyway, near the end of Chapter 2 is a good example of why always jumping would only slow me down ... and the start of Chapters 7 to 9 show it's just slow to start by jumping as well. There's no acceleration and also a slight slowdown when jumping, but bouncing is fine. Yarn balls are rarely worth avoiding when in the way (each wastes 1 frame, for a total of 9 seconds in my run), except for the boxes (25) and big balls (50), some of which were also in the way and not avoidable without wasting more time. The only ways I can think of right now for significantly improving this run is with better landings, more use of L/R (compare what I did in Chapter 16 to the rest), and possibly better paths if I find any ...
Editor, Active player (296)
Reminds a lot of Tiny Toons. Desynced in level 10. Ironically thogh, it managed to entertain me even though it was doing nothing but wasting all the lives. I tried it with -wip and -wip -upanddown, but both yielded the same result. The jump in the beginning of the level appears too short. ROM: Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind (U) [!].smc
Experienced player (527)
Hmm ... CRC is 444A52C1, same filename, I use WIP1 timing and fake mute workaround. No desync unless I disable WIP1 or enable volume envelope (left+right/up+down and fake mute have no effect) ... I had an older version of the re-recording Snes9x, but I got the latest one just now and still no desync.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [377] SNES Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind by Acmlm in 16:31.78
Why has this game been done and not Aero the Acrobat? I'm a bit tiffed.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
I'm going trough some TODOs, and found this game is named very strange. The full name is "Bubsy: Clawed Encounters of the Furred Kind" but the name it's listed under here is "Bubsy in Claws". Since the claw thing is just a subtitle, I suggest * that this game is renamed to just "Bubsy" and * that the sequel if it's ever submitted is called "Bubsy II".
Editor, Publisher, Player (46)
YouTube encode: Link to video