Submission Text Full Submission Page
Jungle Hunt is a home console port of the classic Taito arcade game. Released in 1983 for the Atari 2600, it was a rather faithful port of the original arcade game, with almost all of the elements carying over to the system. With the games simplicity came much difficulty, jumping from rope to rope, killing alligators (looks a lot more like punching), avoiding boulders, and jumping over cannibals isn't easy. Jungle Hunt was generally well-received and is arguably one of the best games on the Atari 2600.

Game objectives

• Complete the game in the shortest amount of time possible
  • Entertain without sacrificing frames

Comments

Jungle Hunt was rather simple in terms of completion. The patterns are pretty much exactly the same during each scene, so there isn't much luck manipulation that goes into this run. I also haven't really found any glitches in this game so far. But I believe this marks a beginning point in Jungle Hunt TASing on this platform.

Stage by stage comments

The ropes

The ropes were the easiest part of the game. All I really had to do is jump from rope to rope as quickly as possible and keep the screen scrolling constantly.

Underwater

This stage is pretty much uncontrollable in terms of speed. All I had to do was avoid most of the alligators. I also killed a few to earn points. But it is rather unnecessary.

The boulders

The boulders were a bit more of a challenge, but the RNG was forgiving and didn't give me very many large boulders. When the large boulders did come, they were a little tricky to jump over. I had to get the explorer's X coordinates just right in order to get over the boulders. This was also one of the few points where I could entertain the viewer, mainly moving left and right in random sequence. I didn't think about ducking much, though.

The cannibals

The cannibals were fairly easy to deal with. All they really did was jump around from one position to the next. All I had to do is run up to them and jump. It took a few rerecords, mainly because my X position wasn't close or far enough away.

Other comments

I'd like to have tried to put in more entertainment, and probably execute some glitches. It could also be a little more polished with some faster maneuvering over obstacles.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6166: GameBreaker64's A2600 Jungle Hunt in 02:45.36
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
I'm going to assume you're going to have an encode of this on your YouTube channel in a bit (he's shown his account on Discord). Here's a Light Spike of 1070 frames. There's probably more that can be shaved off, but I'm not diving into this game... yet. Edit: Nevermind improved it by another 125 frames by jumping at the end. So doubts on this TAS. --- And I was right to call doubts. Using your input I was able to go from Deadly Forest to Reptile River sooner than what you've produced and landing straight into desync. Boulder Field appears that you should be gunning it at all times. I also question that one random jump. Cannibal Camp appears to be improvable as well with better execution. By the way don't hold the B button down it does nothing for this game.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
GameBreaker64
He/Him
I might give it another try. Thanks for your input. I'll keep your thoughts in mind as I go along. I'm also bad at knowing when to stop my movies. If I had stopped it on the correct frame, the movie would be several seconds shorter.
Laying in bed, thinking about how many rerecords I will go through the next day.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Yeah, I really suggest doing a good amount of revision before going at another submission again: The first two sections seem fine, besides the fail to advance to the next section sooner which screws with RNG on the following. And the last two sections require a revision as viewable by the gif (and the questionable jump I touched on).
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
GameBreaker64
He/Him
Ah yes. I see. Oh yeah, that one jump on the boulder segment was an accident.
Laying in bed, thinking about how many rerecords I will go through the next day.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... want more!