After working with Lord Tom and Tompa on the NES Super Mario Bros. 3 TAS, I wanted a change of pace, so I decided to create a TAS of SMAS:SMB3. In this game, you can use left+right to quickly accelerate from a standing position, and it allows Mario to run at a speed of 64 (even though it shows 66 in memory). This is faster than the regular speed of 56 when Mario has P-Speed. After quite a bit of work, I was able to beat the time of the NES TAS. This leads me to think that this version may be faster for warpless and 100% categories too, but I'm probably not going to worry about these.
This TAS beats all known records. The strategies used are similar compared to the currently published NES TAS, but I will run through the levels stage-by-stage so people have a better understanding of what is going on.
This video contains subtitles. Feel free to enable subtitles while you watch the video to have a greater understanding of what is going on.

Useful memory addresses

• 00008B - speed
  • 00074E - x-subpixel
  • 000760 - y-subpixel
  • 001CFA - Bowser HP
I use the Japanese version due to having fewer delays with text boxes and at the title screen. I did not use the SMA4 version because it has, in my opinion, more annoying sound effects, and it is impossible to get 99+ lives from the autoscrollers (because they are shortened). This TAS, however, gets 99+ lives magnificently! Since I have heard that some people are working on SMA4 TASes, I think this run demonstrates tricks that could be incorporated into their runs.
Level finishes are timed to get the shortest HB movements. However, there is something unique to this game called the 2-frame framerule. When you complete each level or enter pipes to reach different rooms, you return to the world map in a two frame window. To clarify, if you find an improvement of one frame, you may or may not need to save another frame to reach the next two frame window. There is a point in which this two frame framerule can be manipulated, which is described in my level-by-level comments.

1-1

Some previous efforts at TASing these games have grabbed the mushroom from the block next to the red koopa. It is faster to grab the mushroom from the block near the green koopa. It is important to build up enough speed before grabbing the mushroom so that Mario can clear the pit after the power-up animation. Had I finished only one frame window slower, I would've had to waste several frames in 1-2 to get the proper HB movements.

1-2

Fairly self-explanatory. Since we have speed 64, we don't have to abuse sliding speed.

1-3

Finding the best way to grab the leaf was somewhat challenging. I tried a few different ideas, such as clipping straight into the block, getting ejected up, and jumping for the leaf. I also tried using the type of leaf grab that was seen on the latest NES SMB3 TAS. Neither of these were fastest, however. While it looks like I get pushed left and don't grab the leaf to the farthest right of the powerup at possible, this leaf grab builds up acceleration faster, ultimately saving a couple of frames over those other options.

1-F

This level is also fairly self-explanatory. This is where we grab the second warp whistle to head into World 8.

8-T1

In this level, I gather lives through extended aerial sequences. In retrospect, I could've possibly finished the level with 95 or 96 lives, but I am satisfied nonetheless. In this level, I delay entry by one frame so I can manipulate the two frame window to give me the optimal Boomerang Bro pattern earlier. By doing this, I did not have to waste any time elsewhere to manipulate the Boomerang Bro pattern. If I had not delayed the level entry by one frame, I would've ultimately had to lose 8 frames to manipulate the Boomerang Bro. Unlike the NES version, the optimal Boomerang Bro pattern that you want is when it moves forward and delays throwing the boomerang. With this pattern, Mario can tail-swipe the Boomerang Bro before the boomerang is thrown, thus spawning the treasure chest earlier.

8-Navy

This is another autoscroller, so I decided to throw in some tricks for entertainment, most notably the airwalk glitch. With this glitch, the game still thinks Mario is standing on the rocky wrench. It is used to obtain P-Speed for entertainment in two areas. With left+right, I was able to gather some lives near the end to put me at 99 lives by the end of the autoscroller.

Hands

I had to lose a couple of frames to manipulate the hands.

8-Airship

It does not look to be possible to push ahead of the screen the way it is done in the NES TAS, but I was able to push ahead slightly. I had some fun clipping into cannon blocks in this stage. In the NES version, you need a horizontal speed of 0 to 14. However, this didn't seem to work here. What I could do was push ahead slightly just as the pipe began to appear on the screen.

8-1

This level is fairly self-explanatory. Mario travels slower than his fireballs, which requires slowing down to kill the piranha plant at the start. In SMA4 TASes, it is possible to not have to slow down like this by abusing the camera features, but this can't be done on this version. I utilized a corner boost by the bullet bill cannon near the line of coin blocks.

8-2

We have to slow down to kill the piranha plants here as well. Optimizing this was somewhat challenging, however. Again, this level is fairly self-explanatory.

8-F

Unfortunately, the star route didn't turn out to be the fastest option. However, it is actually possible to kill Boom-Boom with the star on this version. That makes two fortresses where it's possible on this game. Unfortunately, this turns out to be slower. In this route, we clip through the entire blue room. After we hit the P-Switch, however, we don't enter the door. If we enter the door, we have to wait longer for the P-Switch to run out, which wastes some time.

8-T2

This is another autoscroller. Here, I show off the bob-omb glitch, which is a shortcut to getting easy 1-ups.

8-BC

Left+right is quite powerful. In the NES TAS, you enter the thwomp room and have to perform a walljump. With left+right, however, you merely need to jump after entering the thwomp room. This eliminates the need to perform a walljump, saving lots of time. A few frames are lost to manipulate the Bowser routine to perform the drop glitch. Bowser can take three to six hops before making his first big jump, and to perform the drop glitch, Bowser needs to have a six hop pattern. Since the Bowser pattern depends on what frame the fight begins on, we have to lose a few frames. By killing Bowser just as he makes his sixth hop, Bowser jumps much lower upon being defeated, saving several frames.

Known improvements

Better knowledge of mechanics that cause extra, random lag frames could possibly lead to some lag reduction strategies. For example, when working on this TAS, I noticed that I got an extra lag frame when entering 1-T, but I could not quite decipher the reason. It may be some cyclical phenomenon that may or may not be related to the score display. RNG does not change during lag frames, so any lag frames that are saved will count towards an improvement.
The next six hop Bowser pattern would require starting the Bowser fight more than 20 frames faster compared to this movie. The Bowser pattern serves as a major limiting factor to the speed of these TASes.

Memory: Judging
Memory: Exchanging with feos.
feos: Let's see...
feos: Replacing with a 33-frame improvement.
feos: Great run and great feedback. Accepting to Moons. Note that the GBA version was considered to have enough TAS differences, so we can have TASes for the NES, SNES, and GBA versions co-existing.
fsvgm777: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1638)
SNES games was my childhood at the time of emulation and it's great to see SMB3 TASed, with some unique strategies while showing the highlights of original NES version. I'm surprised that NES glitches also work here, which means how the "port" is so accurate. This was a nice TAS for watch. Voting yes.
My homepage --Currently not much motived for TASing as before...-- But I'm still working.
Expert player (2453)
I like this run. It's even more entertaining than the NES version in many ways. Voting yes.
Recent projects: SMB warpless TAS (2018), SMB warpless walkathon (2019), SMB something never done before (2019), Extra Mario Bros. (best ending) (2020).
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
Nice run. Definitely entertaining, and the L+R movement trick opening up some new routes on top of being generally fast makes some nice differences from the NES version. Yes vote, and definitely worth its own publication.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
upthorn
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Active player (388)
I'm the meh vote. It's just because I've seen so many SMB3 TASes that I can't tell one from another anymore. Sorry. I shouldn't have voted.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.
The run was very entertaining. Only downside in this run was that it contains 4 very long auto scrollers, but this is a problem of this category not a problem of this run specially. Thus I would say this is indeed worth of publishing! Yes vote from me.
fmp
He/Him
Active player (273)
I'm with Creatus. I completely skipped the autoscrollers myself. The stuff I did watch was pretty cool though. If this were exactly the same as the NES TAS, I'd probably have voted "meh", but I think it was different enough for me to say I was entertained. It was sort of a "suspense" factor. I didn't read the submission text until after watching, so I went through most of the levels curious about what you'd do next. I mean, I did know what you were going to do, I just didn't know exactly how. I think that's what kept me watching, and I might go back at some point to rewatch it without skipping the autoscrollers, just to see how you goofed off.
Skilled player (1650)
Submission Text wrote:
you can use left+right to quickly accelerate
It's magic! Yes vote!
Taechuk
He/Him
Player (60)
Voting yes for the nice usage of the l+r glitch, I feel like a more complete run would be much better for this game though, since that glitch opens more routes and speeds up water levels by a ton. But we'll see when one is done. This run is nice and different enough compared to the NES version.
Active player (479)
I am glad that people enjoy the TAS. I was worried that some people would think that this was too similar to the NES version, but it seems that people enjoy the use of left+right and some of the unique features of this movie, including the new 8-F route. I understand that some people want to see more of this game, but I think I need to weigh in on that. There is a very low chance that I will create a warpless or 100% TAS of this game. If someone wants to commit to the project, I am happy to watch WIPs or contribute some strategies, but it would be a difficult project. As much as left+right simplifies this game from a TASing perspective, the two frame framerule will make manipulating RNG (Hammer Bro. movements) on this game more challenging compared to the NES version. That would certainly complicate making an optimized TAS, especially considering the precise manipulation of Hammer Bro. movements that go into World 2 and World 3 of the warpless TAS. I don't think a 100% TAS would be as challenging to make as a warpless TAS, but the RNG manipulation issue still stands. In addition, there are some interesting strategies that are unique to the All Stars version. For example, there is a ceiling clip that you can use on 7-5 with a P-Wing that is impossible on the NES version.
Expert player (2453)
Another choice would be a new playaround TAS, as our current SMAS SMB3 playaround TAS probably got old... By the way, is it possible to do ACE with this version?
Recent projects: SMB warpless TAS (2018), SMB warpless walkathon (2019), SMB something never done before (2019), Extra Mario Bros. (best ending) (2020).
Great movie. Yes vote from me!
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Maru wrote:
As much as left+right simplifies this game from a TASing perspective, the two frame framerule will make manipulating RNG (Hammer Bro. movements) on this game more challenging compared to the NES version. That would certainly complicate making an optimized TAS, especially considering the precise manipulation of Hammer Bro. movements that go into World 2 and World 3 of the warpless TAS.
What about the GBA version? Does it have any fundamental TAS-related differences from this port?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Active player (479)
There are some differences that would be present in the GBA version. I've never done any work with SMA4, but as far as I know, some of the skips that are in this and the NES TAS are not possible on the GBA version. This seems to include the 8-BC route and possibly other routes as well. I have also observed that the camera can be abused in SMA4, which is not the case with this version. It can be used to kill piranha plants like the one in 8-1 or the series in 8-2 without as much slowing down. Apparently, it can also be used as a quick boost when Mario bumps into a block. Some World 8 autoscrollers are shorter in the GBA version compared to the NES or SNES version. That means it is impossible to achieve 99 lives from it. While some people think autoscrollers are boring, I don't think the difference is noticeable as a whole because the GBA version has longer cutscenes. Other than that, I would need to investigate whether more minor glitches like the airwalk glitch, bob-omb glitch, and drop glitch in 8-BC are even possible on the GBA version. While I understand that some people think the game is too similar to the NES version and the GBA version, there are some strategy differences. For one, the 1-1 mushroom grab would probably look different (and slower) on the GBA version due to level differences. The layout of 1-F in the GBA version also allows Mario to get P-Speed earlier for flight, which is not ideal on this version. I think some of this boils down to preferences as well. Some people prefer the GBA version for various reasons, while others prefer the SNES version. I personally think the GBA version has worse music and annoying sound effects, but others may disagree. I don't know if the GBA version has this so-called "two frame framerule," but that is one of the main differences between SMAS:SMB3 and the NES version, and it makes manipulating luck (in this case, World Map Hammer Bro. movements) a lot more challenging. You can either manipulate luck by finding improvements or delaying frames. Finding improvements is harder because the RNG depends on what two frame window you are on, and delaying frames with this in mind means that you would be losing more time to manipulate luck. Overall, the SMAS:SMB3 version is faster than the GBA version. After we finished the NES SMB3 TAS, I wanted a change of pace, so I made this run thinking that it would be at least a few seconds slower than the NES version. Eventually, after some tight optimizations, I was able to surpass the time of the NES TAS. I did not expect to see that happen, and I definitely do not think others expected it either.
Thanks for all the details! So far it really sounds like we shouldn't have problems having both this and SMA4 co-existing. Also props to fsvgm777 for the video link: Link to video
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Post subject: Re: #6184: Maru's SNES Super Mario All Stars: Super Mario Bros. 3 "warps" in 10:24.32
TASVideoAgent wrote:
This TAS beats all known records.
Interesting... What happened in those rooms? I discarded all the loading screens where possible btw.
Active player (479)
Feos, thanks for the comparison. In World 1, I use a different powerup route than Nitsuja does, so I lose time in 1-3 because he grabs both the mushroom and leaf in 1-1. However, this route is faster overall. I had to delay a frame on the fortress to manipulate the hammer brothers on the World 1 map. Nitsuja's TAS did not seem to pay attention to hammer bro manipulation. While I was able to complete the fortress faster, it did not provide good hammer brother RNG on the world map. 8-T, however, did have an improvement. I had tried long enough resyncing the level after delaying level entry by a frame to see if I could manipulate the two-frame framerule into giving me the optimal Boomerang Bro pattern earlier, but I forgot that the Boomerang Bro disappears off screen faster when he is jumped on rather than tail swiped! :@ I was able to save 36 frames in 8-T from that, but some of that time was lost manipulating the Bowser pattern. Please see http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/52145446707527156 for the improvement. Please also fix the submission to reflect the improvement.
Maru, please upload the subtitles somewhere so the publisher could use them.
Player (36)
https://pastebin.com/ZYbscnCu Ripped from youtube video
Build a man a fire, warm him for a day, Set a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3869] SNES Super Mario All-Stars: Super Mario Bros. 3 "warps" by Maru in 10:23.77