(Link to video)
  • Emulator Used: Bizhawk 2.3.0
  • Hardest difficulty
  • Choosing 2 player mode while never using the second controller; there seems to be less lag frames on the first stage when 2 player mode is chosen.
  • Genre: platforming
Donkey Kong was the pack-in game included with each ColecoVision sold, before it became one of the launch titles of NES. Just like in the original NES release, the Conveyor Belt stage is omitted. Just like in the US Arcade release, the order of the stages does not follow that of the original JP Arcade release. This movie complete all 3 unique stages once.
Unsurprisingly, there is a glitch that allows you to break the Ramp stage in this version as well. Another glitch allows you to climb the ladders at a much faster pace by quickly releasing the joystick on a ladder and starting climbing again.
It's noteworthy that the glitch in the Ramp stage is fixed on the Coleco Adam release, and hence I think this version deserves a run of its own although the Adam release includes the Conveyor Belt stage.
Merry late Christmas and happy early New Year!

feos: The game manual seems to be blatantly lying. I found room counter that resets after 5 rooms ($7053) and some counter that increases every time the rooms counter resets. ($70A6). That counter seems to initially store the difficulty you've chosen (4 in this run). But despite of having played through 11 rooms, I failed to find any trace of increasing difficulty. Everything remains the same, only random behavior of enemies changes, and the speedy ladder climb timing slightly changes. Well, lag too. None of that looks like internally defined difficulty really.
The rooms go 1, 2, 3, 2, 3, and then loop. There are only 3 unique rooms in this game, and the movie completes them all. There's nothing new to see in this game after the movie ends. Accepting to Vault.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6211: Fortranm's Coleco Donkey Kong in 00:44.19
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Skilled player (1638)
Great job man. EZ and i were looking into this game, but we had issues because we tried the Adam version. Well anyway, love the screen skip you found on the first level. We had found some faster things, but it seems you found all PLUS 1. Yes vote for being fast and surprising us with an unknown trick. :)
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
Post subject: I'm with nymx - Yes vote
Moderator, Senior Ambassador, Experienced player (898)
This is short and glitchy. I like it. I'm with nymx - Yes vote.
I was laid off in May 2023 and could use support via Patreon or onetime donations as I work on TASBot Re: and TASBot HD. I'm dwangoAC, part of the senior staff of TASVideos as the Senior Ambassador and BDFL of the TASBot community; I post TAS content on YouTube.com/dwangoAC based on livestreams from Twitch.tv/dwangoAC.
Fortranm
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (775)
nymx wrote:
Great job man. EZ and i were looking into this game, but we had issues because we tried the Adam version. Well anyway, love the screen skip you found on the first level. We had found some faster things, but it seems you found all PLUS 1. Yes vote for being fast and surprising us with an unknown trick. :)
Thanks. It is worth pointing out that the "Donkey Kong for Adam" rom commonly seen online is not the Coleco Adam Super Game version, because the real one is Adam exclusive and not support by Bizhawk yet. The one you are talking about might be the retail version of this game meant for people with Adam since as mentioned in the submission text, all ColecoVision consoles came with this game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9pJhDb6TQw The Ramp level glitch behaves differently on the two versions.
DrD2k9
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (2057)
It's interesting to see how the various ports have different beneficial glitches.
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1638)
From these ports, this one is better for watch, because I liked to see another different "Ramp stage" skip. Yes vote!
My homepage --Currently not much motived for TASing as before...-- But I'm still working.
Player (26)
Congrats on running this game on several different platforms! Personally I enjoy watching these for comparison between ports, plus the fact that all of them appear to have their own quirks and glitches. Yes vote x4.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Since there's no ending "cutscene" in this game, the movie of it will have to follow these rules: http://tasvideos.org/MovieRules.html#GamesWithoutClearEnding Does that second version have this cutscene?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Fortranm
He/Him
Link to video The Coleco Adam Super Game version does, but as mentioned in the submission text, the Colecovision release and the Coleco Adam release have major game play differences. Now I'm a little confused. Does this mean that [2971] A2600 Donkey Kong by BrunoVisnadi in 00:36.56 and [3429] A2600 Donkey Kong Junior by Fortranm in 00:59.66 would not be acceptable under current rules? Both this movie and the one on Intellivision are done on the highest difficulty choosable from the title screen. Do I need to prove that the difficulty no longer increases afterwards?
Fortranm wrote:
The Coleco Adam Super Game version does, but as mentioned in the submission text, the Colecovision release and the Coleco Adam release have major game play differences.
The ending doesn't show up there, but it seems to have an extra level and looks like just an entirely separate port, not a variation (version) of the this submission's game. So I think it can be published separately.
Fortranm wrote:
Now I'm a little confused. Does this mean that [2971] A2600 Donkey Kong by BrunoVisnadi in 00:36.56 and [3429] A2600 Donkey Kong Junior by Fortranm in 00:59.66 would not be acceptable under current rules? Both this movie and the one on Intellivision are done on the highest difficulty choosable from the title screen. Do I need to prove that the difficulty no longer increases afterwards?
Game completion rules for games without ending were defined for Vault since 2012, but not a lot of attention was paid, and some movies that haven't maxed out the difficulty happened to get accepted. Last year we clarified those rules and started paying more attention to them, so yes, you will have to play through maximum difficulty loop. But obviously, only if the difficulty even increases from loop to loop, and only if there are loops.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Fortranm
He/Him
Well, given the erratic level order and the lack of ending cutscene in this game, it's actually not very easy to tell what constitutes a loop exactly. However, I noticed that the 4 fire enemies finished spawning sooner in the Rivet level after the end of the movie than in the one shown in the move, and the timing stays the same in the level after that. Shall the second Rivet level be considered the last stage before difficulty stops increasing in this case then?
I'll try to check it. Do you have any memory addresses?
Fortranm
He/Him
No. On a related note, on the Intellivision side, the speed of barrels and Donkey Kong's frequency of throwing a barrel do not seem to increase after the movie ends. I would say the difficulty does not further increase after the end of the move in that case.
Manual wrote:
STEP 10: The fun never ends . . . When you reach the top of the elevator screen, the game continues to cycle through the screens-- but the action gets harder as you go! Keep playing until you run out of Marios.
The global level counter resets after going from 0 through 4:
Language: asm

81B4: INC (IX+07h) AF:0044 BC:015E DE:03E8 IX:702E ; increment global level counter ($702E + 7 = $7035) 81B7: LD A, (IX+07h) AF:0000 BC:015E DE:03E8 IX:702E ; load the result to A 81BA: CP 05h AF:0500 BC:015E DE:03E8 IX:702E ; check if it equals 5 now 81BC: JR C, +04h AF:0542 BC:015E DE:03E8 IX:702E ; if true, jump to $81C2 81BE: SUB A, A AF:0542 BC:015E DE:03E8 IX:702E ; else, reset A to 0 81BF: LD (IX+07h), A AF:0042 BC:015E DE:03E8 IX:702E ; write that 0 to global level counter
When that happens you go back to level 1 ($7035 == 0), and barrels speed doesn't seem to change. I player up to level 11 and nothing changes at all. Your speed is the same, enemies speed is the same, enemy spawn speed is the same. The game seems to track how many loops you've played, but I fail to find any difficulty changes.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3886] Coleco Donkey Kong by Fortranm in 00:44.19