Emulator: Bizhawk 2.3 Tools used: Autofire, Frame Advance, Save States, Rewind and Pause
Star Bomb skipped, Hyper Drive and Hyper Laser equipped, all enemy fleets destroyed. required docking with two fueling stations. hits were taken in a few battles as it was faster to take the hit to reach the mothership
Star Voyager (or Cosmo Genesis in Japan) is a interstellar exploration/space shooter where the placment of planets and possible upgrades are entirely random each time you start a new game. this requires some exploration if you want to make the battles at the end easier. game is notoriously difficult with floaty ship controls, and very difficult battle mechanics
due to the floaty nature of the way the ship handles, and the jumpy movment of enemy fleets, motherships are very diffcult to consistently pick off. other than that, the rest of the game is fairly easy

GoddessMaria: Judging.
GoddessMaria: Hello HeyHorhey and welcome to TASVideos. Given the nature of the game and lack of interesting features that make this submission stand out, this does not qualify for eligibility into the Moons tier. Overall audience response mostly has been lukewarm at best to cold at worst. That being said...
Accepting this to the Vault.
feos: Pub.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6215: HeyHorhey's NES Star Voyager in 13:29.53
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
A Light Spike of 11348 frames. >Game Starts in 7 frames >Input is 24 frames This isn't going to roll well if we're seeing this out of the gate especially if the game is "fairly easy", unless this is related to the randomness into the map spawn then we're really going to have a fun time.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Jigwally
He/Him
Active player (418)
I can confirm from playing this previously that delaying the game start changes the random map pattern
Experienced player (852)
Spikestuff wrote:
A Light Spike of 11348 frames. >Game Starts in 7 frames >Input is 24 frames This isn't going to roll well if we're seeing this out of the gate especially if the game is "fairly easy", unless this is related to the randomness into the map spawn then we're really going to have a fun time.
I presume 'fairly easy' was a reference to controlling the speed and direction and routing things out and was meant to point out the difficulty of the battle and not to call the game easy. Seemed like a good movie to me, though It probably would make more sense if you could see what was happening on the mini-map in the select menu as you progress. I imagine you would be pretty lost if you'd never played the game before much as you'd be pretty lost playing the game without having read the manual. I voted yes, but my only other comment was that it is preferable to use the NESHawk core instead of QuickNES for accuracy reasons.
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3967)
Can an encode be provided?
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
GoddessMaria
She/Her
Reviewer, Experienced player (849)
Added a temporary encode to the main post. Before I render my verdict, I urge that you share your final thoughts on this submission.
Current projects: failing at life
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3967)
I really couldnt tell what seems optimal and what didnt. it also didnt help that the game is kinda boring to watch. no vote.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Experienced player (852)
I stand by my yes vote. I think it is clear from the volumes of feedback that moons isn't in the cards, but I think the concept of the game is really cool. It is definitely a shooter where it feels like you're able to freely roam around in space. I don't think this feeling translates well through a movie though, so it seems obvious why it lacks popularity. The visuals of just hanging out in space with the stars doesn't really communicate the pace of the run. I doubt anyone would take the time to make it, but an encode that shows a side by side with the mini map would give you a much better idea of how the run is progressing. Definitely vault-worthy in my opinion though
Reviewer, Expert player (2393)
I voted meh. From a technical standpoint, for the NES, this game is pretty cool. However, too much of the run is flying through space with nothing happening (and grating noises), and even the battles get samey after a short while.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
I find it extremely boring. Gameplay is if obscure genre compared to most of our content, and for someone not familiar with the game, it's impossible to understand what's going on. As a result, I can't see any superplay value in the movie with an untrained eye, so I can't find it impressive and appreciate the effort. Lastly, total absence of music adds to the obscurity feel that this game has. No vote.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
I know the game well, and enjoyed this run.
Judge, Skilled player (1279)
I voted Yes by mistake, as I was willing to give a No. My reasons are about the same as feos'. Sorry.
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: thunderaxe31 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
Memory
She/Her
Site Admin, Skilled player (1523)
Game was incredibly boring voting no
[16:36:31] <Mothrayas> I have to say this argument about robot drug usage is a lot more fun than whatever else we have been doing in the past two+ hours
[16:08:10] <BenLubar> a TAS is just the limit of a segmented speedrun as the segment length approaches zero
CoolHandMike
He/Him
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (636)
I think more information would really help here. It is not really entertaining to watch so are there technical aspects of your tas that I could appreciate? 1) What are the objectives even in this game? 2) What efforts were made to get optimal spawns? 3) Any glitches or frame tricks used? Also when approaching planets it looks like you are adjusting while approaching. I would think approaching in a straight line would be more optimal. Does that even matter though in this game? "Your name will not be forgot forever and ever." lol credits
discord: CoolHandMike#0352
Personman
Other
I would normally vote yes on a run like this, I enjoy weird obscure games and support the inclusive mission of the vault. But the fact that we have no idea whether any attempt at manipulating the random spawns was made makes it difficult to tell whether this run is up to our standards of technical quality. With a more fleshed-out description I would happily vote yes.
A warb degombs the brangy. Your gitch zanks and leils the warb.
theripper999 wrote:
Also when approaching planets it looks like you are adjusting while approaching. I would think approaching in a straight line would be more optimal. Does that even matter though in this game?
It's not clear to me what governs the location of the planet in (pseudo) 3D space when you warp to its sector, i.e. whether the game always forces you to fish around to find it (I don't think it does). You do have to reduce your speed to two bars in order to land, but a more aggressive approach speed might be possible (i.e. accelerating and then decelerating) unless it's been ruled out for fuel reasons.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3940] NES Star Voyager by HeyHorhey91 in 13:29.53
BoursinBurger
He/Him
Having played this game on the NES many years ago, I see some serious missed opportunities for optimization. 1. I see lots of viewfinder hunting around for planets / space stations / enemies upon entering a sector. This is a TAS - you should know exactly where the objects of interest are, and be accelerating toward them immediately upon arrival. 2. Landing on planets and docking at space stations is done extremely slowly. You should be accelerating towards these objects at a much faster rate and only cutting speed right before the landing/docking procedure begins so you don't overshoot them. 3. Same deal with the combat. It looks like these are all played in realtime - I see lots of missed shots and inattention to speed and direction. Are shields necessary? Can you manipulate fights so you don't need to turn them on? 4. Have you timed the game without getting the hyper drive and/or hyper laser? Visiting the two planets and then a space station for refueling takes up 6 minutes of your run. I voted No, not because the game is boring (I know it is - its appeal lies in being frustratingly Nintendo-hard), but because of the lack of optimization. I look forward to seeing future improvement.
BoursinBurger wrote:
1. I see lots of viewfinder hunting around for planets / space stations / enemies upon entering a sector. This is a TAS - you should know exactly where the objects of interest are, and be accelerating toward them immediately upon arrival. 2. Landing on planets and docking at space stations is done extremely slowly. You should be accelerating towards these objects at a much faster rate and only cutting speed right before the landing/docking procedure begins so you don't overshoot them. 3. Same deal with the combat. It looks like these are all played in realtime - I see lots of missed shots and inattention to speed and direction. Are shields necessary? Can you manipulate fights so you don't need to turn them on? 4. Have you timed the game without getting the hyper drive and/or hyper laser? Visiting the two planets and then a space station for refueling takes up 6 minutes of your run.
On 1., my only question would be if the game deliberately forces a certain amount of viewfinding on the player before it spawns the object in question. Do we know for sure how the planets/stations spawn? 2., I noticed that as well (and I do accelerate in my own real-time runs of this game), but it also burns fuel faster, and that's always going to be a hard limit on optimizing this game. On 3., I agree, more optimization is almost certainly possible, and seeing that issue makes me wonder about #1 and #2. Difficult to unpack the exact details of how collision detection works in this game; I don't envy the task. On 4., definitely worth it in real-time play, but I agree -- unless the game cheats massively under the hood, it should be possible to handle combat without benefit of super-laser. Hyperdrive saves 5-10 seconds every time you use it, but I doubt that adds up to the time lost in getting it.