(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack: earned $9998 in 1:07.206. Yet another one to check off the Intellivision bucket list.
Objectives
  • Aims for maximum score
  • Heavy luck manipulation
  • Genre: Board
1 Player I opted to only do one player in this TAS because having a second player also get maximum earnings wouldn't be any more entertaining, would make the TAS over twice as long, and would be a major nuisance trying to optimize both players' earnings at the same time.
Selecting Game There's four different card games you can play - [1] Five Card Stud, [2] Seven Card Stud, [3] Five Card Draw, and [4] Blackjack. Blackjack is by far the most optimal game to play as rounds are insanely shorter, and up to $999 can be bet at once compared to $99 in the other three.
Pressing [5] on the gamepad chooses a game at random and [6] chooses the game last played. [6] is the best means of selecting a game because it skips the dealer announcing what game was selected, saving 160 frames each time. Additionally, pressing [6] for the first game automatically selects Blackjack for some reason.
RNG The order of the cards dealt is determined by the frame the game type is selected (i.e. when deck shuffling stops). As a result, taking a longer time to select betting amount, hit, double down, etc. will not affect luck.
General Rules
  • The player cannot bet or double down with an amount that exceeds their wallet.
  • Up to $999 can be bet in one round ($1998 if doubling down).
  • The player receives 1.5x the value of their bet if they get a Blackjack.
  • If the above multiplication results in a decimal number, it is rounded down to the nearest integer.
  • The dealer is required to stand once his hand reaches 17 or more points.
  • Manual text: http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/games/instructions/gaming/poker.txt
TAS Summary
RoundFrameWalletBetOutcome
1 19 1 1 Dealer stands
2 302 2 2 Dealer hits once
3 601 4 4 Blackjack
4 884 10 10 Blackjack
5 1147 25 25 Blackjack
6 1410 62 62 Dealer hits once
7 1721 124 124 Blackjack
8 2076 310 310 Blackjack
9 2432 775 769 Blackjack
10 2733 1928 964 Double Down, Dealer stands
11 3104 3856 964 Blackjack
12 3351 5302 964 Blackjack
13 3601 6748 964 Double Down, Dealer hits once
14 4007 8676 964 Blackjack
14 4027 final input
14 4252 9999
Outcomes
Outcome Frame CostBet MultiplierEffective Frame Cost
Blackjack 227 1.5x 151.3
Double Down, Dealer stands 338 2x 169
Double Down, Dealer hits once389 2x 194.5
Dealer stands 230 1x 230
Dealer hits once 281 1x 281
Since each outcome requires a different number of frames to play out and can award different multiples of your bet, we need a way of estimating each outcome's relative advantage. Effective frame cost divides the frame cost by the bet multiplier, and estimates just that. A Blackjack is clearly the best hand, but is also fairly rare, meaning depending on how long we must wait to manipulate a Blackjack, it may be more optimal to choose a different outcome:
  • Allow the dealer to stand if the next Blackjack requires a wait of more than 115 frames (230x1.5-230), and either stand or hit once if the wait is more than 140 frames (281x1.5-281).
  • Allow the dealer to hit once if the first scenario where the dealer does so is over 51 frames (281-230) sooner than the first scenario where he stands.
  • Doubling Down: deciding whether the dealer should stand or hit is similar to that explained above.
  • The number of double downs and Blackjacks in later rounds should yield a wallet size on the final round just under one Blackjack's earnings from $9999, so as to not waste any time earning money not used in the $9999 total. A Blackjack for the final round is most optimal as no interaction is required after the bet amount is confirmed.
  • Having the dealer hit more than once was not optimal anywhere.
  • P1 hits when doubling down because it is required to do so; hitting otherwise is a time-costly animation, and was not optimal anywhere.
Bets Some dollar amounts wagered in this TAS may seem rather odd. For instance, in round 9 why did I bet $769 instead of $775? In order to type out two numbers consecutively, the game must recognize two separate inputs, which requires pausing for three frames. To avoid this, I instead bet the highest amount which does not contain consecutive numbers, 769.
Pressing the [Enter] key for your bet recalls what was bet on the previous game. Using this feature on rounds 11-14 saves three keystrokes per round. It can also be used on the first round to automatically bet all the money in your wallet.
As a result of these considerations, by round 14 I had $8676 instead of a potential $8866. Either way, the same number of turns would be required to reach $9999.
Possible Improvements? This TAS is the best result of the logical approach detailed above. However, with any TAS that's super luck-dependent like this one, it's always possible that nonintuitive choices early in the TAS could manipulate great luck later on. It's not possible for me to test every one of these scenarios (although I did test several), so I'll leave that task to other TASers should they decide to investigate that.
Suggested Publication Notes Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack was a pack-in game for the Intellivision Model 1. As a result, it sold over 1.9 million cartridges, making it the best-selling Intellivision game of all time.
Hit! Stick! Raise! Discard? Drop! You win! One or two players can play against the dealer in Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack. Rules are identical to Las Vegas table rules. You have a choice of Blackjack or three different Poker games, and if you win, you can carry your pretend winnings from one game to another. Keep in mind you'll need to be sharp to outplay the computerized dealer -- he knows what he's doing!
Through the powers of luck manipulation, TheWinslinator breaks Las Vegas and makes the dealer very angry by turning $1 into $9999 in just over a minute.
Suggested Screenshot Frame 4253-4372 (this is after the movie ends)

Memory: Judging
Memory: So there are a number of problems with this submission.
First off, FractalFusion managed to beat this TAS so it no longer beats all known records.
Secondly, the submission did not get a particularly great audience response which means the goal needs to be vaultable. However there are several things keeping this from being vaultable. One can merely set the amount of money one has to the cap from the beginning. It is possible to continue playing after reaching said cap. It does not meet the rules on full completion because it is merely a score cap and not the inability to score more points. Due to this, I do not see this goal as particularly vaultable.
In fact I cannot think of a goal for this game that would actually be vaultable. A single hand of blackjack would be fairly trivial and there doesn't seem to be any way to make it meet the criteria for games without clear endings. The other modes are poker which have similar problems. I might be overlooking something but I cannot find any way this game can enter vault.
Rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
GamesFan2000
He/Him
Interesting TAS you've got here. Manipulating cards to your will. Honestly, I think this is good enough to make the Vault, so I'll give it a weak yes.
Memory
She/Her
Site Admin, Skilled player (1522)
So it appears there is an issue. This TAS does not have good enough reception to make it to Moons. This game does not have a clear ending and this movie does not reach any point that could be used for game completion as listed in our rules for games without clear endings. At first glance one would think it would qualify as full completion given it aims for maximum score but it fails to follow those guidelines as well. I suppose one could make the argument that completing a single game would count as completion but I believe that would also be fairly trivial and therefore also unacceptable to Vault. Does anyone think otherwise?
[16:36:31] <Mothrayas> I have to say this argument about robot drug usage is a lot more fun than whatever else we have been doing in the past two+ hours
[16:08:10] <BenLubar> a TAS is just the limit of a segmented speedrun as the segment length approaches zero
Patashu
He/Him
Memory wrote:
I suppose one could make the argument that completing a single game would count as completion but I believe that would also be fairly trivial and therefore also unacceptable to Vault.
All the games share the same money count, right? So surely it doesn't matter which game you play, the goal is just to hit the maximum amount of money, which is the end of content/best possible state to reach?
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Memory
She/Her
Patashu wrote:
All the games share the same money count, right? So surely it doesn't matter which game you play, the goal is just to hit the maximum amount of money, which is the end of content/best possible state to reach?
The amount of money as means of measuring completion was addressed in my first paragraph as being seemingly unacceptable for Vault.
[16:36:31] <Mothrayas> I have to say this argument about robot drug usage is a lot more fun than whatever else we have been doing in the past two+ hours
[16:08:10] <BenLubar> a TAS is just the limit of a segmented speedrun as the segment length approaches zero
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Here's a TAS that completes it in 1:04.953 by getting 14 blackjacks in a row. Link to video Movie file: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/52849058282505417 I believe it can still be improved by reducing the demands on RNG manipulation; namely by allowing for the first game to be a "dealer stands" (you don't gain any more money by blackjack on the first one) and by switching another couple blackjacks with a "dealer stands" and a "double down, dealer stands". In case anyone is wondering: I disassembled the RNG and used a C++ program to figure out which RNG values give blackjacks.
Patashu wrote:
Even better: You can literally set your starting money to 9999 and get maximum money immediately. Nothing stops you from doing so.
Memory
She/Her
FractalFusion wrote:
Even better: You can literally set your starting money to 9999 and get maximum money immediately. Nothing stops you from doing so.
Incredible.
Experienced player (695)
@Memory Right, there would certainly not be any clear ending for this game, as you can keep playing for as long as you want, but i thought the first bullet point under the score guidelines, "There is no better way of defining full completion in the game" would best fit this game's case. FractalFusion also makes the point that you can simply enter $9999 as the starting wallet size, and while that would technically be the fastest way to get the "Maximum Score", it isn't terribly interesting; which is why I specifically named the branch "Maximum Earnings" so you would actually play for as much money as possible. I don't know if that's too arbitrary a goal for Vault or if there's even a precedent for such a case. In reference to your argument on completing a single game, there's actually three other card games you can play besides Blackjack, would winning one game of each be a more suitable goal or is that still too trivial? @FractalFusion That's an excellent improvement! I wish I knew how to actually analyze RNG in this manner as it would save me a lot of headaches working with these heavily luck-dependent Intellivision games. I see a couple small improvements to this I can make right off the bat but it looks like all the Blackjacks were dealt without much waiting time; I'd be happy to update the movie and add you as co-author (should this branch even be acceptable).
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Vaultability of such a game so far boils down to whether or not we consider card games without an AI opponent vaultable. adelikat told me considers them eligible, only have to catch Nach to ask this.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3584)
It was never the intent to block card games that have no opponent, such as solitaire. I think this is pretty clear in the rules. Blackjack is a somewhat interesting case, because it technically has an opponent. However that opponent must play by set rules and therefore you are playing the rules not the opponent. This should be vaultable. However, this is NOT all that this submission boils down to! The goal is pretty arbitrary for vault rules. And is very much more problematic if you can simply set your money to 9999 from the start. Why wouldn't a movie that simply does this not obsolete this movie? In when situations are problematic and subjective like this, we lean towards them not being in the vault.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
TheWinslinator wrote:
@Memory Right, there would certainly not be any clear ending for this game, as you can keep playing for as long as you want, but i thought the first bullet point under the score guidelines, "There is no better way of defining full completion in the game" would best fit this game's case.
That one point doesn't mean all other points don't apply. Here's the whole text:
Maximum points or score is allowed as a full-completion category, provided that:
  • There is no better way of defining full completion in the game.
  • The maximum score is easily defined and absolute - it must not be possible to gain a higher score, even theoretically. It must be definable without being dependent on precise time, speed, or similar requirements.
  • The maximum score is limited by not being able to gain any more points, not by hitting a score cap or overflow. If it is possible to score points infinitely, score cannot be used to define full completion.
So this movie (and its improved version) doesn't count as full completion. Now does it count as fastest completion? The game doesn't have an ending, therefore we look at this:
  • Is the game still playable after you reach max score?
  • Is there any notion of difficulty and new content?
TheWinslinator wrote:
In reference to your argument on completing a single game, there's actually three other card games you can play besides Blackjack, would winning one game of each be a more suitable goal or is that still too trivial?
If each sub-game is offered independently and there's no global goal like in [2425] SNES Vegas Stakes by hero of the day in 02:43.20, we count those as modes and they work as independent games, and each of them is judged against the common rules. Some of them may be acceptable. And you can also make a movie that plays all the acceptable sub-games in one go. But first we'd have to know if they are acceptable.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Experienced player (695)
@feos Ok I understand your point about the score goal. Under what circumstances would playing all four subgames be an acceptable movie? The goal for the Vegas Stakes TAS seemed to be the fastest route to the credits, but there would be no such goal like that for this game.
It would fully depend on how meaningful each sub-game is for TASing. As a start, try checking them against this:
  • Does it ever end?
  • Does it increase in difficulty?
  • Does new content appear as you progress?
  • Does the manual say anything about your goal?
  • Is it less trivial than simply pressing a few buttons to win?
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... om, nom, nom... nom nom
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
In case anyone is wondering, I used [url= https://pastebin.com/bb9a3eEB]this C++ code[/url] to generate [url= https://pastebin.com/J8CqxaDy]these results[/url] telling me the RNG values along with their index/cycle number (where 0 is the first RNG value 0x3FF) and delay to get the next blackjack. Then I analyzed the values in this table (by hand) to determine 14 consecutive blackjacks with not too big a total delay. Other things: - The RNG is a 16-bit linear feedback shift register. - The title screen runs through RNG values much faster (~47.5 values/frame) than everything after that (1 value every 3 frames), so any starting value within 15000 cycles or so has potential (that's why my code searches up to 20000). - The shuffle algorithm works as follows: the game puts all the cards in order and then performs 52 swaps. This causes the RNG to be cycled many times, and not consistently either (it will cycle at least 6*52 times for the swaps but will cycle extra times if RNG value mod 64 is greater than 51 (which is a 12/64 chance). I guess this stuff isn't actually all that interesting to most people, but at least it's fun to see how old video games handle RNG.