Submission Text Full Submission Page
  • Emulator used : BizHawk v2.2.2
  • Objective : Fastest completion time
  • No death/damage abuse

About

Zoboomafoo: Playtime in Zobooland was developed by Vicarious Visions and was released in October 2001 for the Game Boy Color. There are 3 difficulties in the game, with each adding one new level and rearranging the goals. In the easiest difficulty, there are 6 levels. The goal of the game is to collect Zoboomafoo's lost friend cards by completing each stage. The game ends after all friend cards have been unlocked. The objective of each level is to either reach one specific goal or to collect a certain number of items.

Tricks

Jump Heights :

Zoboomafoo has 11 different jump heights which correspond to the number of frames which the jump button has been held down.
  • Holding jump for 1 frame = 0 pixels high
  • 2 frames = 3 pixels
  • 3 frames = 6 pixels
  • 4 frames = 13 pixels
  • 5 frames = 18 pixels
  • 6 frames = 27 pixels
  • 7 frames = 34 pixels
  • 8 frames = 47 pixels
  • 9 frames = 57 pixels
  • 10 frames = 71 pixels
  • 11 frames = 83 pixels
  • 11 is the max, any additional frames will result in 83 pixels

Quickjumping

Zoboomafoo moves fastest horizontally while in the air...
This is because while he is in the air, his speed value is constantly at 2, as opposed to while he is on the ground, where it alternates between 1 and 2. We can use this mechanic to our advantage by doing max jumps whenever possible. However, the timing of the jump is important as well. Because Zoboomafoo's speed value alternates between 1 and 2 while walking along the ground, the best time to input a jump is as soon as the speed value reaches 2. The value alternates very rapidly, so there is only one frame to input the jump. Because it's so rapid, it's quite common to do this by mistake. When a jump is input on the ground while the speed value is 2, Zoboomafoo will keep his speed value at 2 for the initial animation of the jump, causing him to slide along the ground a bit before jumping and get alot more horizontal movement.
  • Recap:
    • Speed value alternates between 1 and 2 on ground
    • Input max jump when speed value = 2
    • Horizontal boost forward

Bubble skips

Stages 5 and 6 are the collectible stages, wherein you must collect a certain number of items in order to complete the level. Each time you collect an item a thought bubble will appear, indicating you have collected the item. This bubble stops all movement for 30 frames (0.5 seconds). If you collect the item in midair, upon landing there are 2 frames where Zoboomafoo's speed value is 1. If a jump is input on one of these 2 frames, the jump will come out before the bubble has a chance to load. You can continue to jump during this two frame window for the remainder of the level and skip all of the bubbles from appearing. The tricky part of this is that you must continue to jump for the rest of the stage while collecting all the rest of the items. If you miss the 2 frame window, only one bubble will appear regardless of how many items you've collected. There are 4 collectibles in each stage, but only the first 3 cause a bubble to appear. The final collectible will always end the stage. The total number of bubble skips possible is 6, which saves 3 seconds alone.
  • Recap:
    • Stage 5 & 6 collectibles make bubbles appear (loses 30 frames)
    • Collect in mid-air, 2 frames to input jump during landing
    • Skips bubble (6 bubble skips total = 3 seconds saved)

Stage Details

Stage One - Snow Lemur

There are 2 pits of water at the start to jump over. Touching any of these friendly animals at the start results in a bubble appearing, which stops all movement for 30 frames. Just continue to max jump out of quickjumps wherever possible. Avoid coming into contact with the thin trees while in mid-air, or Zoboomafoo will grab them.

Stage Two - Noggendrill

The Noggendrill is standing right at the start of the level, so a jump must be input at speed value 1 instead of 2. Avoid running into the ceiling or cave walls, which will change speed to 0. There is a cave in the lower section of the level which you will enter if you input a jump too close to it. Narchi is the goal of this level, when he is on screen he walks to the left.

Stage Three - Fibby

The underwater level! Zoboomafoo's speed value will always become 0 while passing through the surface of the water. The goal of this level is a pineapple under the sea.

Stage Four - Zoboomafooasaurus

Nothing too out of the ordinary here. There is a hedgehog that will talk to you right before the tree grab, but he can be skipped by inputting an early jump within a 2 frame window (same concept as the bubble skips). The tree grab seems to be unavoidable.

Stage Five - Gooble

The first collectible stage. There are four items to collect here. Use quickjumps up until the first collectible, then bubble skips for the remainder of the level.

Stage Six - Wiggy Waxwing

The final stage, with four collectibles to grab. Quickjumps up until the first one, then bubble skips for the rest. Interesting note: I let go of the right input when I jump into the tree. This is to ensure I grab the collectible up there

Other Comments

• If you were to time this TAS using the speedrun.com leaderboard rules, it would be 2:41.6
  • Speaking of the speedrun.com leaderboard, check it out here!
  • Thanks for reading, and thanks for watching my first TAS!

slamo: Judging!
slamo: The movie had 34 frames of blank input at the end, replaced it with a fixed version.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Here's an encode for the curious: Link to video
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
floppyfish420
He/Him
Thanks for the encode!
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
This looked like a pretty neat game. Short enough run not to get boring, and it looked well done to my eye. Yes vote.
floppyfish420
He/Him
scrimpeh wrote:
This looked like a pretty neat game. Short enough run not to get boring, and it looked well done to my eye. Yes vote.
Yeah, this run was a lot of fun to work on. A great introduction to making TAS for me. Thanks for watching, and for voting!
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3967)
Oh man Zooboomafo, I feel like I just wacked on the face with nostalgia. As for the game itself, it’s pretty nice but unltimetly repetetive. Meh vote.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Reviewer, Expert player (2393)
My only concern with this run is the difficulty choice. In our Movie Guidelines we encourage TASers to use the hardest difficulty in their runs if it adds new content. In this case, the highest difficulty would add two more levels to the run and it would represent a more complete playthrough of the game. In addition, the collectibles and goals are in more interesting places, which the viewers may find more entertaining. This run is acceptable as it is, but we can give you the opportunity to make a more complete run if you wish. If this run gets published and then you decide to make a run on the highest difficulty later, this run will be obsoleted and replaced with the new run (even if there are no improvements in the overlapping portions) because it would be more complete and may be more entertaining, while still being an any% run.
floppyfish420
He/Him
slamo wrote:
My only concern with this run is the difficulty choice. In our Movie Guidelines we encourage TASers to use the hardest difficulty in their runs if it adds new content. In this case, the highest difficulty would add two more levels to the run and it would represent a more complete playthrough of the game. In addition, the collectibles and goals are in more interesting places, which the viewers may find more entertaining. This run is acceptable as it is, but we can give you the opportunity to make a more complete run if you wish. If this run gets published and then you decide to make a run on the highest difficulty later, this run will be obsoleted and replaced with the new run (even if there are no improvements in the overlapping portions) because it would be more complete and may be more entertaining, while still being an any% run.
Thank you for the information! I will remember this for my future TAS. As for making a more complete run, I am definitely interested. I have already begun working on this and hope to complete it soon. Thanks again!
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
floppyfish420 wrote:
As for making a more complete run, I am definitely interested. I have already begun working on this and hope to complete it soon. Thanks again!
Is it possible to give a rough estimate when it might be finished? Like, will this movie have some time to shine, or you're already almost done? It wouldn't make much sense to publish a movie just to be instantly obsoleted by a more complete version.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
floppyfish420
He/Him
feos wrote:
floppyfish420 wrote:
As for making a more complete run, I am definitely interested. I have already begun working on this and hope to complete it soon. Thanks again!
Is it possible to give a rough estimate when it might be finished? Like, will this movie have some time to shine, or you're already almost done? It wouldn't make much sense to publish a movie just to be instantly obsoleted by a more complete version.
Recently a new skip was found in the game! It is in fact even faster to play the game on the highest difficulty because of this. Should this submission be deleted now? I will be working on this new route some more, and i estimate i will be done in about a month.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Since the new version will be not only more complete, but also more optimal now, it would be a good idea to cancel this one and then just submit the proper run separately.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, salty!