Submission Text Full Submission Page

Game objectives

• Emulator used: Mame-RR 0.139-v0.1 beta

Dip Setting

• Difficulty: Hardest

Comments

Konami '88, released as '88 Games in North America and as Hyper Sports Special in Japan, is the third in the Track & Field game series by Konami, where players test their Olympic skills against other world-class athletes. As the title implies, it is loosely based on (but not licensed by) the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, South Korea.
The objective of the game is to compete in a series of Olympic events and beat the other players. The player must achieve the gold medal in each event in order to qualify for the next or the game will end.

Stage by stage comments

100m Dash

Race against the other athletes as well as the clock. This is just a warm-up compared to the events to come
Quality 11 Second.

Long Jump

Player dashes to the line, leaps, and propels his body as far as he is able. The player controls the speed and angle of the jump.
Quality 8 Meter.

400m Relay

Speed and timing are crucial in this event. Player must coordinate the baton hand-off perfectly for the best qualifying time. Quality 35 Second

Skeet Shooting

Player can aim left and right at the clay pigeons and must prove that he is a sure shot. A chance for bonus points is given for excellent marksmanship.
Quality 4000 Points

110m Hurdles

Player sprints down the track, timing his jumps perfectly to clear all of the hurdles and reach the finish line in time.
Quality 13 Second

Archery

This is a trial of the player's proficiency in using a bow and arrow. The player can decide the direction and force of the wind, which will help in demonstrating his skill as a sharpshooter.
Quality 5000 Points

Javelin Throw

The player darts to the line and throws the javelin with all his might. The player controls the height of the javelin.
Quality 90 Meter

High Jump

Another test of speed and strength as the player runs to the line and hurls his body over the bar. The player can control his angle above the bar.
Quality 2.32 Meter

400m Relay

The Final Race : The final test of physical training as the player faces the challenging relay again. Quality 34.50 Second

Other comments

I've Quality all, because like a olympic.

feos: The main problem with this movie is general sub-optimality. We have MovieRules, and there we say: "Don't be lazy. We will try and beat your movie. We should hopefully not succeed. See the Guidelines on how to make a movie that meets the site's standards." Indeed we tried to beat the time records that this movie has, and we easily succeeded. As explained in the thread, this movie doesn't aim for fastest possible input, it only aims for input that is somewhat fast. I can tell that it wasn't done in real time, frame advancing was used, judging by input precise to a single frame. But it is in no way optimal.
In addition, this is a sports game, and it's really boring to watch, so it can only go to Vault. And in Vault, we have restrictions for sports games. The one directly applicable to this game is this one: "In sports that depend on a variety of environments or situations, such as golf, completion can be defined by clearing every environment or situation in the game." So this movie has to complete every sub-game as fast as possible. And it seems to be doing that, but it often wastes time on things unrelated to fastest completion, like setting several world records in a row, causing the unnecessary cutscenes. See the thread for more details. Also see this Guideline: "Be quick. Do not wait for anything if you can help it."
I should point out that for this game, the sub-game optimality can be judged by the in-game time, not by how long each sub-game takes, with all the non-gameplay content. Yet those non-gameplay events should be reduced, because that's a part of optimality.
Lastly, judging by the author's responses in the thread(s), I'm not sure if Mihoru understands what we're writing.
Mihoru, please pay attention to the discussion. Use google-translate if you need. Or write in your native language if you need. If you do not learn the goal of TASVideos, you may lose your ability to submit movies.
Rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6244: Pepper-Color's Arcade '88 Games in 13:00.33
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
I'm a tad confused by directions chosen in this TAS. In the Long Jump you decided to get record then fail the other two times but in Archery you get the record but instead of shot wasting you repeated the record score. This might be due to lack of knowledge of how the game operates but it's an oddity to me that I want explained if the shots can't be wasted if they always go to the backboard. We also have the "World Record" animation presented 3 times in Archery due to this. In High Jump you hit record but is it the highest possible score as I'm going off the assumption everything else was highest possible but you went straight for the qualified height in High Jump. I'm also curious if you can select the height you can jump over in this event. The TAS feels like a blend of mixmatching a few elements that have been done in other Olympic/Track & Field TASes. I don't know how to feel about it so I'm just abstaining my vote.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
i'll agree with Spikestuff there, the archery seems fairly optimisable on missing the second & third attempt. also is 7 the maximum wind or can you get more ? (to try to get the centrer a bit earlier ) another small improvement : on the 3 attemps events, get the record for the last event so you can skip the "you got the second best time" animations (i guess WR are qualification times on a empty board ? )
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Nicos wrote:
also is 7 the maximum wind or can you get more ? (to try to get the centrer a bit earlier )
No, the maximum wind is 9.
TASing is like making a film: only the best takes are shown in the final movie.
Player (24)
The name entry looks so slow (2nd letter from G to J), and why BJJ? It is some RNG in a Button smashing game? I would understand AAA (fastest?), TAS (just for this site) or something about your name, but BJJ?
Last TAS finished: Final Fantasy Adventure (4.0 Warp Glitch Run) WIP in the moment: Tail Gator (GB) Matty
Pepper-Color
They/Them
Player (135)
Wow, I forgot AAA that.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Mihoru besides focusing on just the name entry do you have a response towards my comment about the direction chosen to the TAS?
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Pepper-Color
They/Them
Player (135)
Spikestuff wrote:
Mihoru besides focusing on just the name entry do you have a response towards my comment about the direction chosen to the TAS?
I think a CheesestringXX.
Spikestuff
They/Them
That's not a response I expected especially when it is concerns to your TAS but with that being written the input is definitely not optimal (I'm ignoring the naming case). I need to make this note to everyone. The factor of the dipswitch is only related to the qualifying time. Not how the input is affected by it with that being written and noted. Your time on the 100m sprint is 5"73. My time is 5"68. For me I had to use libretro's core in BizHawk in order to get a result for myself as I'm unable to TAS anything far with MAME-rr and I'm fine with waiting. But I'm still able to show that there is a problem with your input and luckily enough I'm also provide input that syncs (for today's core). Note: I do not recommend TASing with any of the libretro cores within Hawk unless it's for experimental usage as I've demonstrated here. Edit: Your record breaking Long Jump of 10.78m was improvable. Your time on the 400m Relay is 30"70. My time is 29"76. I want to also take the time to point out that the AI got off the starting blocks before you did in your TAS. Here's a file that syncs both the longest Long Jump and the Faster 400m Relay (and the 100m sprint). This is the last event I'm touching as I don't want to deal with Skeet Shooting and this method of TASing on something very experimental.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
I tried the first "level" on mame-rr. The pattern that one has to repeat is simply "button 1, blank, button 3". Spikestuff used a different ROM version, so his input doesn't sync right away on the version Mihoru used. If I align by the guy with a gun and hit the same frame as Spikestuff, I start too early in this version. But if I start on the next frame, it works and I get the same in-game time. Mihoru starts at frame 2022. Should be started at frame 2017. 5 frames lost to absolutely nothing while all that's needed is repeating 2 buttons. Skipped right to the 4-way race. Spikestuff's time in Bizhawk+MAME: My time in MAME-RR: Mihoru's time in MAME-RR:
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech!