Submission Text Full Submission Page
Duck Hunt needs no introduction. Just shoot, shoot, shoot.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: BizHawk 2.3.1
  • Maximum kills in fastest time
  • Forgoes glitches
  • Forgoes luck manipulation
  • Forgoes speed/entertainment trade-offs
  • Completes "kill screen" level

Comments

100 levels (1 thru 99 then 0)

Other comments

Happy April Fool's Day

feos: This game is too trivial to competitively TAS. It is not a superplay puzzle to look at a memory address and press the button the frame before it changes, once, a hundred times, or a billion times. It's not an achievement to always be able to press this button optimally, if a movie doing this can be generated within 30 minutes..There's no TAS value in an hour long run if 2 people can independently have known-to-be-optimal movies that even have the same length.
I should say that of course a TAS of this game quite boldly stands out from unassisted play where a human requires to see the duck and is unable to guess where it spawns behind the bush. But I still can't agree that the current publication was worth accepting, because of how easy it is to push this game to its limits, and there's no entertainment in the result, as the rating shows.
Given the above, it doesn't make sense to accept yet more movies of this game that do the same thing for a longer amount of time, even if we want to see the kill screen. Yet this movie only plays one mode instead of all 3 that the current publication does.
The first round in this movie has the same length as in the existing publication. If you can manage to improve the latter, by all means make a new submission. Until then, rejecting for boring gameplay coupled with game triviality, which makes it ineligible for both Moons and Vault.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6345: MarbleousDave's NES Duck Hunt "All levels" in 1:15:12.15
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
Encode Link to video
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4136)
The movie file seems to have been lost to time, but this has been done before, with a near-identical time posted.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
DrD2k9
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (2056)
Curiosity...wouldn't a mode B run be faster? While there are a few frames between ducks, the dog would hold up 2 ducks at once instead of just 1, thus halving the wait time within a round. This could significantly lower the overall run time.
GJTASer2018
He/Him
DrD2k9 wrote:
Curiosity...wouldn't a mode B run be faster?
The problem with that is that each mode behaves differently when you reach Level 100 - AFAIK only Mode A has the killscreen, while Modes B and C rollover back to 1. This would essentially mean each mode could potentially have its own branch, given a high enough entertainment rating, and obsoletion of an existing submission could become problematic.
c-square wrote:
Yes, standard runs are needed and very appreciated here too
Dylon Stejakoski wrote:
Me and the boys starting over our games of choice for the infinityieth time in a row because of just-found optimizations
^ Why I don't have any submissions despite being on the forums for years now...
DrD2k9
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (2056)
GJTASer2018 wrote:
DrD2k9 wrote:
Curiosity...wouldn't a mode B run be faster?
The problem with that is that each mode behaves differently when you reach Level 100 - AFAIK only Mode A has the killscreen, while Modes B and C rollover back to 1. This would essentially mean each mode could potentially have its own branch, given a high enough entertainment rating, and obsoletion of an existing submission could become problematic.
If there's a kill-screen in mode A then completion of that mode is reaching the kill screen. For Modes B & C though; if nothing new occurs after the roll-back to level 1, the game can be considered endless. thus rules for endless games come into play (at least for vault purposes). Therefore a completion point must then be defined. I see basically two options for an end-point: 1) Finishing the 1st 100 levels until the level # rolls over. OR 2)Finishing just the first 25 levels. According to this data it appears that difficulty stops increasing after level 25. Therefore, it could be argued that only the first 25 levels need to be completed to reach a point where no new content is introduced to the endless gameplay. If the first option is used, the completion of a Mode B run would be roughly half the length of this submission. If the latter option is used the completion of a Mode B run would be even shorter...somewhere approximately 1/8 the time of this run (9-11 minutes). I don't know how mode C would be affected as I haven't come across difficulty data for the clay pigeons. Thought I would assume if there is a difficulty ramp in that mode it would mimic the difficult ramp of the other modes.
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
My score for completing all 100 levels is 4,687,600 points. Theoretically the max score for all 100 levels would be 5,530,000 and 4,570,000 for the respective game modes. A combined total of 15,630,000.
Post subject: Re: #6345: McW4v3-X's NES Duck Hunt "All levels" in 1:15:12.15
Site Admin, Skilled player (1235)
TASVideoAgent wrote:
Forgoes glitches
Which glitches does it forgo?
TASVideoAgent wrote:
Forgoes luck manipulation
What can be manipulated in this game that you don't manipulate?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... want more!
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
No luck manipulation is necessary when I shoot the ducks the first frame they appear. Some ducks disappear the frame after they appear in round 0. If we somehow can hack the game using 2 controllers to control both ducks in mode B, we'll have to use the Famicom light gun. But this wouldn't be accepted either. Luck manipulation is only necessary for high scores in all modes and to manipulate when the second duck or clay pigeon to appear.