(Link to video)
Minit is an adventure game released in 2018, where the player obtains a cursed sword, resulting in each live only lasting for one minute. This TAS follows closely the unassisted speedrun route, but with some heavy luck manipulation and tight movements.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: libTAS 1.3.4
  • Aims for fastest in-game time

Game version and mode

This TAS was done on the "v1.1" or "speedrun release" version of the game, as called by the community, because there is no mention of a version number in the game. It corresponds to manifest 6678403216955145752 in the Steam game depot for Linux. This version features a speedrun mode, which shows the in-game timer on screen, starts at the sword grab and ends at the boss. This mode has no consequence on the final in-game time, but saves more than ten seconds of real-time. This is the chosen mode for this TAS, so it spends a bit of time in the menu to activate it.
It should be noted that "v1.1" has a few gameplay differences regarding the any% speedrun:
  • the three crabs have a fixed pattern
  • the megasword has a smaller hitbox to pick
  • it is no longer possible to suicide during the boss
The later two items make the any% speedrun in "v1.1" about 1-2 seconds slower, but I considered that it was not worth using an old version for such a small time save. Also, the other speedrun categories use "v1.1" because of the introduced camera item which saves several seconds, so it would be more consistent with potential submissions of other speedrun categories here.

Tricks

Suicide early

When hitting the suicide button, the in-game timer pauses, but the environment still continues for several seconds. To save some in-game time, we can suicide while waiting for an event to happen. This is used when giving water to the lost person, and when destroying the last crate.

Watering can pumping

When throwing water, our character is very slightly pushed forward. By using it every other frame, we gain about 8% speed boost.

Thanks

Many thanks to the Minit discord and the UD community for the suggestions and feedback.

slamo: The routing and optimization look pretty solid to me. We can allow the speedrun version since it's fairly popular and also the most recent version, just keep in mind that the original version is similar enough that a faster run using the older version may obsolete this one. Feedback was very positive, accepting to Moons.
fsvgm777: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6360: keylie's Linux Minit in 07:14.88
Patashu
He/Him
Short and sweet, yes vote!
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Dwedit
He/Him
Totally misread the title and thought this was some kind of Meme category of installing Linux Mint.
Personman
Other
Love this game, glad to see it TASed.
A warb degombs the brangy. Your gitch zanks and leils the warb.
Cyorter
He/Him
Editor, Player (236)
Am I the only who mistakenly read the game's name Linux Mint? Well it seems no..
Ford
He/Him
Fun run to watch. All my yes. Would be great if it could also get a commentary so I can understand what's going on.
Moderator, Senior Ambassador, Experienced player (898)
I was super excited until I realized that this does not, in fact, speedrun the installation of Linux Mint. I'll still watch this anyway and vote, however. :)
I was laid off in May 2023 and could use support via Patreon or onetime donations as I work on TASBot Re: and TASBot HD. I'm dwangoAC, part of the senior staff of TASVideos as the Senior Ambassador and BDFL of the TASBot community; I post TAS content on YouTube.com/dwangoAC based on livestreams from Twitch.tv/dwangoAC.
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3964)
dwangoAC wrote:
I was super excited until I realized that this does not, in fact, speedrun the installation of Linux Mint.
I mean, none of the other linux tases show the installation either. Unless I’m not understanding a joke or something.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Dwedit
He/Him
explaining the joke: There is a meme category for "speedrunning" the installation of an operating system (such as Windows 95, etc). The way the title of this game is formatted ("Linux Minit") makes it look a lot like the "Linux Mint" operating system.
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3964)
Ah ok. Thanks.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3958] Linux Minit by keylie in 07:14.88