Cowlitz Gamers 2nd Adventure is a platformer where you must collect all the gold nuggets to advance to the next stage. This run uses 2 players to beat the game as fast as possible.
Emulator Used: BizHawk 2.3.1 with NESHawk core.
Aside from routing, death warps and frame perfect rope grabs are the most important ways to save time on this game. Also hit detection is only processed every other frame (alternating per player) so this is used to duck under certain enemies and quickly keep moving.
This is a several second improvement over my last WIP. Seeing as no improvements were forthcoming from anyone else, I decided to go back and give a final look at the second half of the game before submitting, as I don't like having unfinished projects. It's funny how many things you notice after a while of not looking at something.
Special thanks to FractalFusion for pointing out a secret square that opens a faster route in one level.

Truncated: Judging.
Truncated: Movie file replaced.
Now for the judgement: I will accept this movie for the Vault tier. The game is OK, and the movie is well optimized, but the game doesn't give that much possibility in way of interesting movement or optimization. Getting the two player ending (since they are different) seems like the right choice for a game which is played as two players the whole way. Using Hard instead of Normal doesn't seem to make any difference in this case (after the update which loses fewer lives), but that's alright.
feos: Pub!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3967)
Sorry I couldn’t work on this when you finished. I have yet to see the final project once an encode is provided but I’m excited to see it.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Very sick! The action was smooth and well coordinated, so I'm voting yes.
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Some context: Cowlitz Gamers 2nd Adventure is a free NES homebrew game created in 2017 for Cowlitz Gamers for Kids Expo. It is a platformer where you collect coins to open up the path upward; there are 48 screens (not counting bonus screens) in this game. You can download the ROM from the game's main site. The only difference between difficulty levels is the number of lives you start out with and how many coins you need to get more lives. It is faster to complete the game with 2 players since they can both collect the coins necessary to open the path to the next screen. Deathwarps are abused a lot in this TAS. There are a couple endings depending on whether you finished with both players alive or with just one player. Note that there are collectible gems in each screen which allow you to access hidden bonus screens. Collecting all the gems (and coins) is a goal I would like to see as well. I uploaded an encode (will take some time before it is ready): Link to video Note that the ending music is a few minutes long before it ends. A button press is necessary to get to the "THE END" screen with all the stats; I included it in the encode.
Skilled player (1650)
Thank you for the information and the encode, FractalFusion!
Alyosha
He/Him
Editor, Expert player (3522)
Thank you for the encode FractalFusion. I didn't know about (or maybe forgot) there was a score screen at the end. I don't really consider it part of the run, but if it's necessary whatever. I also didn't test how different endings would change the time if I burned one of the players lives, but that seems pointless to me anyway, as I consider the run over once the top of the tower is reached regardless of the ending cutscene.
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
I mentioned the endings because it is possible to save time by killing one of the players in the last screen so they don't have to get to the rope to finish the game, but you would end with the 1-player ending. This is not a strat that I would use myself (because getting the 1-player ending in a 2-player run really does look like a bad ending) but it has been used before in this 2-player speedrun.
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3967)
While I really enjoyed this run, I am somewhat dissapointed that you didnt add any sort of playaround during the downtime sections. if you had done that then I would have enjoyed this run alot more. here's a weak yes vote.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Alyosha
He/Him
I tried to burn my lives but I only managed to get down to 7 in the time it would take to otherwise climb the rope. It would save time on hard mode, where I'd only have 3-4 lives, but you would have to have one less death abuse with player 2 at some point in the run. So I guess it's mainly a matter of taste, but saving time in this way is definitely possible. EDIT: actually even on easy mode there are points where player 1 is waiting long enough for player 2 that I could burn some lives. I could also give player 2 a couple extra gold without losing time to keep player one from getting another life. So it might save time there as well. But at any rate I don't like the idea.
Alyosha
He/Him
http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/55639385766082321 Please replace the movie file with this one. I found a place where I could save one death abuse with player two (and save time since it was unnecessary) and a place where I could swap out player one to take a death abuse instead of player 2 without losing time. In this way I was able to play on hard mode instead of easy without sacrificing any time. Now both players end the game with zero lives and on hard mode. So if one wanted to end the game slightly earlier by killing off one player they could. I still don't like this though. So i didn't do it, at any rate it is trivial now. pretty cool it magically worked out this way.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [3966] NES The Cowlitz Gamers' 2nd Adventure "2 players" by Alyosha in 07:49.48