(Link to video)

Timesaves:

This is an improvement of about three and a half seconds over my previous movie of this game. This timesave is achieved primarily by using a different route through level 6. Namely, at 4:34 in the encode of the TAS linked below, I head down to the left as opposed to continuing to the right, which lets me reach the ledge seen at 4:38 about 2 seconds faster.
After doing this, I delayed a few frames before climbing the waterfall in order to manipulate RNG in my favor. The waterfall section here was also faster than in my original movie, as I was able to manipulate a platform to appear in the right position at 4:43 to skip having to climb up the platform on the left and to skip jumping and climbing up the platform to the right.
As a result of all of this, when I reached the boss, I happened to be at a point in his global timer when he threw a rock faster, which also made the boss fight faster.
All said and done, level 6 was the only level I changed to get this timesave. Everything prior to that was kept the same. As such, for any information about the process of TASing the first 5 levels of the game, please refer to the submission notes for my previous movie of the game. These potential improvements were discovered by me while TASing the Gameboy version of The Lion King, which has very similar mechanics and level layouts to this game. I hope you enjoy watching this TAS!

feos: Considering the times the original submission of this game has been improved in a short time span, it was reasonable to suspect that this movie is also still improvable. But I couldn't find any improvements in places that I tested, and nothing sticks out as particularly suspicious, so I think this movie is good. Accepting over [3973] NES The Lion King by Lobsterzelda in 05:13.28.
feos: Setting to Delayed due to Delayed.
feos: Replacing with an improved movie and re-accepting.
Dacicus: Processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6462: Lobsterzelda's NES The Lion King in 05:09.14
Lobsterzelda
He/Him
Skilled player (1220)
In light of the improvements discovered by TASEditor in the Gameboy version of The Lion King, I would like to request that this submission be set to delayed so that I have time to see if these timesaves work in the NES version of the game. After I finish with the Gameboy TAS (which should be happening very soon), I plan to get back to checking this TAS.
Lobsterzelda
He/Him
Skilled player (1220)
Ok. After several weeks of research and testing, I've finally finished making my improvements to the TAS currently on the workbench. My new TAS of The Lion King for the NES can be found here: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/57552889267614864 FCEUX can't record AVIs on my computer, so since I can't provide an encode here, i'll summarize the improvements in this TAS for anybody who doesn't want to bother watching this in an emulator: Improvements for Each Level: 1. Level 1 is the same speed as it was in my original TAS. In all the new submissions i've made of this game, I still haven't found any timesaves in this level. 2. Level 2 saves about 20-30 frames using strategies that I discovered from TASing the gameboy version of the game. Namely, it jumps over the first Rhino's tail in the section with three rhinos in a row, which saves some time. This added time save allows me to use the next rhino's tail as a faster way of getting boosted up to the monkey, which saves even more time. 3. In this level, I use the bones that Simba can swing from to save time over rolling on the ground. Additionally, I manipulate the vultures even faster than I did before, allowing me to do a quicker double vulture boost. This all saves about 15-30 frames overall. 4. This level is an autoscroller. No timesave to be found here... 5. This level had a lot of small timesaves scattered throughout it. Most of them involved rolling in the last few sections of the level instead of jumping, since rolls are faster than jumps in this game. Additionally, I jumped at a certain drop instead of falling, since this lets you redirect your speed, which allowed me to move to the right while falling and save about 10 frames. All in all, I saved somewhere between 25 and 35 frames in this level. 6. The first 5 levels took me about a day or two to TAS. This level is what I've been stuck on for the last month. I saved 6 frames in the beginning of the level by improving my movement slightly, and everything seemed to be going well. After that, I reached the waterfall... The main issue with the waterfall is that the logs that fall down spawn based on a global timer. In my old TAS, I got essentially the fastest log pattern possible, with it only taking 380 frames to climb the waterfall (for comparison, in all of my other TASes of the game, it took me around 440 frames to climb the waterfall). No matter what I did, I kept finishing the waterfall section in about 480 frames, which was slow enough that I was tied with my original TAS when I finished the waterfall section. I had to find a better way to manipulate the logs in my favor. And so, I set about to figure out the basics of how the log's work. I'm not the best at deciphering assembly language functions, but I did make some basic discoveries based on my analysis: 1. The number of frames since power on is stored in addresses 0x560 - 0x561. If you use a hex editor to alter either of these values, it changes the pattern of the logs that you get. 2. The actual y-coordinates of the logs themselves are stored in 5 addresses from 0x665 - 0x669 3. There are only 5 possible x-coordinates that the logs can have 4. All new logs load from the top of the screen, and move downwards to the bottom of the screen. When all 5 logs have loaded, if you go up high enough, you can see an earlier log higher up (since the logs only store the least significant byte of their y-position, which wraps around when you reach the next byte of the y-position). However, if all 5 logs are in the center of the screen, one of them most reach the bottom of the screen before another log can load. 5. When a log is loaded, it's y-position is set equal to the value stored in address 0x536 minus 16 (base 10 number). 6. The value stored in 0x536 increases while you are jumping up and decreases while you are falling down. Additionally, if you jump to a different platform with a different y-position, it can change the value stored in 0x536. 7. The moment when a log is loaded is determined by 2 things: it must first be possible to load a log (all 5 can't already be on screen), and if that is the case, then the value in address 0x57D must count down to 0 before the log can load. 0x57D is usually set to 0, but at certain points, (probably based on the global frame number) it gets set to 5 or 15. From there, it counts down by 1 every 3 frames. When it hits 0, the next time you move upwards a new log will load. My main goal in finding a way to manipulate the log's pattern was to find a way to alter the value stored in address 0x57D. However, I couldn't find a consistent way to do that, so I was left with using trial and error to do the best that I could. Eventually I was able to get up the waterfall in 445 frames, which is the final value it has in this new TAS. Adding up all the timesaves and timelosses, this run finished about 0.4 seconds faster than my original submission. If anybody wants to try to improve this time, here are 3 places that could potentially be optimized to save time: 1. The waterfall. 2. The waterfall. 3. The waterfall. The waterfall probably has about 1 more second of possible timesave available for somebody who figures out how to precisely manipulate where the logs spawn. Other than that, I'm fairly content with this new TAS, and am requesting that this submission be set back to judging underway, and that my new TAS replace my original submission.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
No link on an improved movie? Ok, I'll past it: User movie #57552889267614864
Lobsterzelda wrote:
Here are the first two lines of my post from earlier:
My bad. Wasn't enough attentive.
TASing is like making a film: only the best takes are shown in the final movie.
Lobsterzelda
He/Him
Skilled player (1220)
Dimon12321 wrote:
No link on an improved movie? Ok, I'll past it: User movie #57552889267614864
Here are the first two lines of my post from earlier:
Lobsterzelda wrote:
Ok. After several weeks of research and testing, I've finally finished making my improvements to the TAS currently on the workbench. My new TAS of The Lion King for the NES can be found here: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/57552889267614864
Pepper-Color
They/Them
Player (135)
Yes vote.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [4029] NES The Lion King by Lobsterzelda in 05:09.14