Submission Text Full Submission Page
This movie is for the PAL version of DuckTales.
The movie was made to see how fast the game could be beaten compared to the NTSC version. In this version Scrooge moves faster which allows to skip the helicopter in the Amazon though it's not enough to beat the game faster than the NTSC version. The movie is not perfect as it does not include the manipulations for the lag-bridge in the Amazon and the hockey-despawn in the Himalayas.

Maru: Judging.
Maru: Here at TASVideos, PAL versions of games are generally disallowed. It is only in rare cases when a PAL version of a game will be accepted. This is when there are entertainment or technical merits to using the PAL version. It has to be different enough in order to be accepted as a different branch or significantly better to obsolete the published NTSC run. Please read these sections of the movie rules: Use the Correct Version and NTSC vs. PAL.
Unfortunately, this PAL version of the game is not significantly better to warrant the obsoletion of the published run. While there were some differences with this version, such as skips that do not seem to work on the NTSC version, these were too insignificant. Therefore, this TAS cannot be accepted into a new branch.
Some optimization issues with this TAS were also pointed out in the thread, which you can read up on. Please read this rule too: Movie Must Be Good.
For those reasons, this movie cannot be accepted. Rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6473: Riyan's NES DuckTales in 08:00.03
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Riyanoid wrote:
The movie is not perfect as it does not include the manipulations for the lag-bridge in the Amazon and the hockey-despawn in the Himalayas.
By any chance was this meant to be a userfile and not a submission? As for the movie this 07:58.01 fails to beat the existing TAS that's on NTSC in time. As for PAL vs NTSC iirc and a Judge can correct me on this. It's the 5th Generation of consoles where you have an option of choosing which version to use as the PAL version is accounted by this generation. However, this might be the rare case where the 3rd Generation can have a PAL > NTSC due to gameplay differences alone.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Jigwally
He/Him
Active player (418)
Sorry but it doesn't seem like there's any point in publishing this even as an alternate category if there's those two known improvements.
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3967)
>any% we dont label movies as any% here.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
There is consideration that we could accept the PAL version as a separate category. An example would be Rygar and Blaster Master in which both have published runs of NTSC and PAL versions. Shadow of the Ninja (or Blue Shadow in Europe) used the PAL version on Famtasia (an NTSC only emulator) until the NTSC version is used on FCEU-RR.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
For Rygar and Blaster Master, different region versions were used for totally different branches, but here it's the same branch. Having separate publications that use the same goal but different game versions is extremely rare. Tenchu: Stealth Assassins is the only example I can remember.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1888)
First of all, good job on your first TAS Riyanoid! As other's said, I think this should have uploaded in the userfiles instead of submitting. Regarding this PAL TAS: Pro: - Only the Europe version has this change. - Checked up to first two levels and bosses: general inputs, movement and boss fights seems optimized with good efforts Contra: - Slower than NTSC run - Different level order without real reason? - Scrooge is faster in this version and "allows to skip the helicopter" which I guess is the amazon (2nd level in this TAS) where the player needs to grab it and jump from there to the next platform that isn't much stuff, I mean it saves only 1 jump in a 8 minute run (like let's say 0.5 second save?). Maybe if other stuffs could be found to further abuse the difference would be an okay from me, but simply being different than the original version shouldn't be much that of a factor, regardless of Europe vs USA edit: but I don't see this happening. The speed (and maybe the only, other than being 50hz) difference only changes the possibility of enemy spawns and despawning, while much more lag frames coming up, somewhat negating the efforts in the long run. - Lack of lag frame removal techniques (and this version lags sometimes like hell, especially on 2nd level and 3rd level): For example changing the position and length of jumps can avoid 3 lag frames on 1st level Moon before the 1st boss, so I have 1322 xpos (going left to boss) versus 1327 xpos on frame 1617. Another trick is removing 1 R if it can save at least 2 lag frames. In this version, it seems the ground/air speed pattern is 1.204, 1.948, 1.948, 1.948 1.948 ice speed pattern 1.220, 1.980, 1.996, 2.012, 2.772, 2.044, 2.050, 2.076, 2.836, 2.108, 2.868, 2.128 2.872.... Ice max speed changes after every frame between 2.872 and 2.128. Personal opinion: Maybe if other stuffs could be found to further abuse the difference would be an okay from me, but simply being different than the original version shouldn't be much that of a factor: if they are different other than 50hz vs 60hz, they should be allowed, because the route probably isn't the same. They should have a record being stored (but it's TASVideos with full of entertainment). On a side related note: - The Ducktales HUD Lua scripts seems to work on this verison too. edit2: link to the script and other information: Wiki: GameResources/NES/DuckTales - NTSC Ducktales TAS desyncs after 2nd level on Japanese. I guess it's either text or lag frame related.
PhD in TASing 🎓 speedrun enthusiast ❤🚷🔥 white hat hacker ▓ black box tester ░ censorships and rules...
EZGames69
He/They
MESHUGGAH wrote:
NTSC Ducktales TAS desyncs after 2nd level on Japanese. I guess it's either text or lag frame related.
Japan is also NTSC.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
EZGames69
He/They
I'm having an issue trying to get this to sync in FCEUX, I keep running into desyncs starting at the 3rd level after the author climbs the 2nd rope up. is there a sync setting im missing or is this movie not syncable?
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1888)
The movie synced for me, maybe you need to change PPU? edit: Config > PPU > New PPU
PhD in TASing 🎓 speedrun enthusiast ❤🚷🔥 white hat hacker ▓ black box tester ░ censorships and rules...
EZGames69
He/They
what is that? I just have default settings for 2.2.3. edit: It still desyncs for me
EZGames69
He/They
apparently FCEUX sucks and doesnt automatically switch to the right PPU when a movie using it is active. anyway, here's an encode: Link to video
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1888)
apparently FCEUX doesn't sucks. FCEUX 2.1.4 changelog http://www.fceux.com/web/help/WhatsNew214.html (edited link) "New PPU flag in movie headers (doesn't change an emulators PPU state when loading a movie)" While I'm not the developer nor being sure about this, it's much easier to change the PPU setting in FCEUX rather than editing the movie file and replacing the NewPPU value that indicates what PPU mode were being used.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... juicy!