(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is a TAS of Tetris Worlds for the GBA, more specifically, the Marathon gameplay mode. This mode is notable because it can barely be completed via a TAS, let alone by a human player.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: BizHawk 1.11.5
  • No memory editing
  • No exploiting glitches
  • Fastest run of Marathon mode

Masterjun: Judging.
Masterjun: This run is not very optimized for a Tetris run. Take a look at this reply for a better attempt at an optimized movie. Even if this is currently the fastest tool-assisted completion of this game mode, it doesn't mean it is accepted automatically.
We only accept movies with reasonable optimization, but this movie has mistakes visible to casual viewers, which is unacceptable.
Rejected.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6527: Hexadigital's GBA Tetris Worlds "Marathon Mode" in 08:43.66
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Hexadigital wrote:
This mode is notable because it can barely be completed via a TAS, let alone by a human player.
If I know my Tetris games and specifically Tetris Worlds which is my favourite version (I should be smitten by the Tetris Gods for stating that) that statement isn't true if you can't back your facts. In RTA confirmed we have 11 runs by 5 runners that show off their skill on the speedrun.com boards about this mode. The gameplay at a viewing standpoint is fine. However, I have questions. Why are we using BizHawk 1.11.5? That version is over 3 years old now. Why are you mashing your input at the start? This doesn't help with the low rerecord count is this botted? Shouldn't you be using more Tetris combos than you displayed due to the faster reaching of the goal in this mode? Cause that's where I disagree with how it's being played in this submission. And lastly. Your input has been trimmed down to end on final input (93 frames). Edit: I answered my own question about 1.11.5. It's because it was made 3 years ago.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Removed.
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3964)
Unless it greatly affects rng, I dont think syncing to a later bizhawk would be much of an issue. Worst case is you lose a few frames to loading.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Spikestuff
They/Them
Hexadigital wrote:
Tetris Worlds for the GBA was outsourced to a different studio, which (from what I've played of it) feels like a rushed job. Later on in the TAS, you can see that I have to put in my button inputs before the Tetris piece is even displayed on the screen.
That's nice and all, but it doesn't back your opening comment about it being "barely be completed via a TAS" and your comments outright mention that it's not possible for the human. This comment that you've made doesn't have weight when I brought up real world examples of it being possible for a human (in this case humans) to complete. I don't have any comments towards your answers other than the argument of nothing existing means you should submit it 3 years later, cause that argues you could've created a refined movie. And being not a leaderboard page submitting a world record "just because there is no other movie" wouldn't guarantee it being accepted. ---
EZGames69 wrote:
Unless it greatly affects rng, I dont think syncing to a later bizhawk would be much of an issue.
It's a VBA-Next movie, of course it'd sync on the later versions of BizHawk... under VBA-Next's core. As for VBA-Next to mGBA, yeah good luck with that, it unfortunately affects RNG heavily like you assumed.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Removed.
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3964)
Spikestuff wrote:
EZGames69 wrote:
Unless it greatly affects rng, I dont think syncing to a later bizhawk would be much of an issue.
It's a VBA-Next movie, of course it'd sync on the later versions of BizHawk... under VBA-Next's core. As for VBA-Next to mGBA, yeah good luck with that, it unfortunately affects RNG heavily like you assumed.
What about adding the bios in VBA-Next?
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Taechuk
He/Him
Player (60)
the tas looks... fine i guess but there is obviously a lot of places where you should have done tetrises, so this tas is clearly not super optimal voting meh
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Skilled player (1637)
Taechuk wrote:
the tas looks... fine i guess but there is obviously a lot of places where you should have done tetrises, so this tas is clearly not super optimal voting meh
I'm with Taechuk on this. One thing that really stood out was allowing situations to occur that required "sliding" in a piece to the left or right. The fall time is a killer. From my experiences, there is always situations that can be forced with TASing to get around these kinds of time losses. With 1710 re-records, it clearly shows that you haven't put enough time into optimizing this. From what SpikeStuff analyzed, it does seem that you performed this TAS through a controller. Is that the case? If so, there is so much more that can be accomplished by altering inputs at the editor level. You may want to try that...I think you'll be very surprised at the results. I do welcome you to this community, but I'm sorry to be the one to voting no for entertainment.
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
to actually do this as fast as possible, you need to maximize goal per piece on average. Back to back tetris (a tetris followed by another tetris) grants a positively HUGE amount of goal, and i believe more of them will speed up later levels. Additionally, t-spinning should preserve back to back. I agree that the play control of this version may be lacking, but i'm just not impressed, and think it can be routed better.
Spikestuff
They/Them
For those that want to know scoring: Tetris is worth 8, Back-2-Back is 12. Repeat Back-2-Back-2-Back it remains at 12. Only resets when a B2B fails or when the Next Level has been reached. Triple is worth 5, Double 3, Single 1. T-Spin is worth 1, 3, 7, 6 depending on the amount of T-Spins that have been achieved to a single T Block.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Spikestuff
They/Them
Spikestuff wrote:
I don't have any comments towards your answers other than the argument of nothing existing means you should submit it 3 years later, cause that argues you could've created a refined movie.
On that note of making a refined movie, I created a refined movie out of curiosity, not complete currently ends on entering Level 9 but it already shows more than enough, plus I don't really do puzzle TASes. A major thing to note, since I'm going through a bios (mGBA core) before this is synced up. You're ahead by about 256 frames. Link to video Just my half: Link to video As a note. This is about 2423 frames faster when entering 9 (first frame of stating it's 9)
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... 'twas dry
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
Most optimal route: Level 1 - Go for a triple. Level 2 - Double and Tetris. Level 3 - Back-to-Back Tetris. Level 4 - Back-to-Back Tetris. Level 5 - Triple and Back-to-Back Tetris. Level 6 - 3 Tetrises in a row. Level 7 - Double and 3 Tetrises in a row. Level 8 - 4 Tetrises in a row. Level 9 - Single or T-Spin, then 4 Tetrises in a row. Level 10 - 5 Tetrises in a row. Level 11 - 5 Tetrises in a row. Level 12 - Triple and 5 Tetrises in a row. Level 13 - 6 Tetrises in a row. Level 14 - Double and 6 Tetrises in a row. Level 15 - 7 Tetrises in a row. The European version adds the windows for the next and hold pieces, also it shows a point value for each clear and tells you how much time left in Ultra mode. The in-game font for the HUD is different in the European version. Even St. Basil's Cathedral can be seen in the background in Classic mode and Link mode in that version. Speaking of Link mode, it can only be played with 2 players in the North American version but can be played with up to 4 players in the European version. Apparently Europe has the better version of GBA Tetris Worlds. Version differences and Link mode have nothing to do with speedrunning and the European version adds a few extra frames of input (i.e. the language select as the game starts up)
Spikestuff
They/Them
T-Spins aren't worth attempting due to how slow it is in this version.
WebNations/Sabih wrote: