(Link to video)
Hello, TASVideos! This run is a project I've been working on a lot along December and January. It includes some long pieces of input from years ago and a couple sections I took from my 96 exit WIP. The result is an improvement of 165 frames, or ~2.745 seconds over the previous run of this category. I hope you enjoy it!

Game objectives

• Emulator used: lsnes-rr2-beta23
  • Aims for fastest completion
  • Forgoes arbitrary code execution
  • Forgoes game-end glitches

A note on the cloud glitch

The SMW speedrun community uses a glitch known as the cloud glitch, which allows beating Bowser much faster. However, that particular glitch is prohibited in this category because the manipulations required to resume gameplay after getting the cloud are considered arbitrary code execution. The orb glitch, although looks similar, happens entirely inside the game's ROM and is thus allowed.

Comparison Video

Amaraticando made a comparison video with ghosts of the previous runs of this category:

Stage by stage comments

Yoshi's Island 2 (1)

It was fine to end this stage one frame later, because the previous run ended with bad frame parity. So, I refrained from performing some of this stage's corner boosts, because they require hitting a few '?' blocks. Hitting these blocks is very problematic because each gives the player exactly 10 points, and there aren't many ways of changing the score digit of the tens (which is relevant, because lag in SMW heavily depends of the sum of the score digits). For the score plan of this particular run, I couldn't get these point in YI2. I slowed down a bit at the end, too, in order to finish with a better setup which allowed me to avoid the lag frame from the goal tape spawn. One frame saved overall.

Yoshi's Island 3 (74)

The duplication section was polished, hopefully, to its best. The first few duplications were improved, and the position and speed of the red shell were carefully chosen in order to optimize all of its bumps (shells interact with blocks in a very counter-intuitive way). It turned out it was faster to duplicate into the upper half of the dragon coin, and not into the bottom one. So, in the same jump, I collected the dragon coin and performed a technique (which is only possible in specific circumstances, if the shell had x-speed to the opposite side of the desired duplication last time Mario grabbed it) to duplicate from the opposite side of the block and get the wings. This is much faster because I never need to move left to the final duplication. Additionally, instead of touching or eating the wings, I dropped the mushroom from the item box and used it to eat-swap them, which is also significantly faster. Overall, 73 frames were saved.
This stage was done way before the rest of the run, and taken from my 96 exit WIP. I'd say it was by far the hardest level to optimize in this TAS, and probably took dozens of thousands of re-records by its own.

Yoshi's Island 4 (148)

There were some very important facts for this stage I was unaware of back in 2015. First one is that when a P-Switch's stun timer is non 0, throwing it (and not dropping it) makes the fish to appear instantly. That means the goal here is to take the recycled P-Switch to the water as soon as possible, and not to recycle the P-Switch as soon as possible (since it's irrelevant how big the stun timer is). The setup was changed and a good amount of time was saved. I did a way better job at controlling lag, managing to remove every lag frame in the double tongue section. Second important fact is that if you move upwards on water fast enough and pass by a specific Y position, it's possible to 'clip' the surface of the water and get a high enough Y position in which Small Mario is able to remount Yoshi after being hurt. Thus, I don't need to re-grab a Mushroom, saving a lot from the animation. This means I enter YI1 small, which presumably would be a problem, but turned out to work well. 74 frames saved here.

Yoshi's Island 1 (161)

The third YI4 relevant fact I was unaware of actually takes place in YI1: it is perfectly fine to enter this level as Small Mario. At first it sounds a big liability because it'd be impossible to fill every slot with powerups, and you can't even go for the old strat with the red shell (because you need Yoshi's tongue to get the Flower later on). However, you can go for the simplest of the item swaps: burning a sprite with Fire Mario and eat-swapping with the coin. I was very surprised it worked so well and that it turned out to be faster than most of the previous strats, and as fast as the best one we had so far (which involved entering YI1 with big Mario and a Mushroom in the item box). The pros of this method are that there is no need to slow down for the Flower in the flying ? block (getting the Flower from a normal ? block doesn't require slowing down), nor to double eat the invisible mushroom, Mario grows in the mid-way point (so, no animation!) and screen scrolling to the left is 8 frames shorter than to the right. The cons are that you need to 6/5 the whole way instead of hoping 49 (mitigated by the extra corner clips), and some slowing down is required for the corner clip. Overall, 12 frames saved on stage and 1 from transition lag.

#1 Iggy's Castle (160)

One frame was lost from transition lag. Delaying entrance to remove it would be worse.

Donut Plains 1 (163)

I went for a different strat at the beginning - I jumped very early to set the takeoff meter to 80 ASAP, and after it decreased to 0 I jumped again on the first ledge to set it back to 80. With heavy P-Meter manipulation, not too much time was lost (only a few pixels) but the higher takeoff meter allowed me to pick a much better Y-Position for the Camera. There is a small window for the Camera's Y position where the keyhole's animation doesn't loop but most of it is of-screen, which heavily reduces keyhole lag. 5 frames of lag were saved, and with an improved 'keyhole trick' I pulled off, no real frames at all would be lost. It was better, though, to sacrifice 2 real frames at the keyhole to avoid losing one frame to transition lag. Thus, 3 frames saved overall.
You might have noticed I collected tons of coins in this stage (and in other previous stages as well). That's because it will be important later on to have 0 as the digit of the tens of the coins. This digit impacts on lag, and I was careful in the other stages to not have it too high.

Donut Secret 1 (164)

Two frames of lag saved by delaying keyhole activation in 1 frame, as an adaptation for the inconvenient Star Warp frame rule.

Donut Secret House (163)

The frame rule for the Big Boo Boss was still 1 frame off, and there was no place in the run to sacrifice it in exchange for lag, so it was inevitable to end the fight with some time loss.
Blame Frieze for the Big Boo fight idea :)

Star World 1 (163)

No change.

Star World 2 (165)

I didn't need to delay keyhole activation in 1 frame (which was needed last time). Not that this was relevant, because this frame doesn't help to beat any frame rules and can't be exchanged for lag anywhere. Another frame was saved in the transition lag.
You might have noticed 100 points are obtained in this stage, which is unusual. They don't cause extra lag and have a purpose later on (it was honestly the easiest place to edit them in, could've done in SW4 as well).

Star World 3 (165)

No change.

Star World 4 (164)

No change. Despite I ended this level with extra 100 points, everything lined up well enough so that no extra lag happened. The real frame saved in SW2 was lost back due to the Star Warp.

Front Door (165)

One frame was lost to transition lag, at the start. In this level, coin count and score were extremely relevant.
I understand way better now how lag in the dark room works, and basically, in order to optimally reduce lag Mario needs to have such an x position that makes it impossible for him to kill the first Ninji with the feather. The 100 points from that Ninji are essential, though, and that's why SW5 was ended with a different score. These 100 extra points would have caused an extra lag in the door transition out of Room 2, and the only way to prevent that was to have < 10 coins, which is why many coins were collected in the early levels to loop the count. Two lag frames were, finally, shaved off in the dark room, increasing the total amount of frames saved in this run to 165 – exactly the same amount the previous TAS saved over the older one!

Special Thanks

• Amaraticando for his collaboration in the previous run and for the best lua script you'll find for any game.

Nach: Judging.

Nach: Replaced file with version without SRAM.

Nach: I kind of miss some of the parts that are skipped by the past few movies. However, this run is excellent, and had a great audience response. Accepting as an improvement to the existing run.
Dacicus: Processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6613: BrunoVisnadi's SNES Super Mario World "warps" in 09:54.35
The8bitbeast
He/Him
Expert player (2524)
Nice TAS! It's great to see the frames being squeezed out along with the huge amount of playaround you incorporated. A few favourite moments: - The music sync in star world 2 - Corner clips everywhere - The weird cannonball thing at 9:00 (what the heck) Interesting about the cloud glitch too. How much time do you think cloud would save if it were used?
Patashu
He/Him
A great improvement to a great TAS! The block duplication looks better every time. Yes vote!
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Active player (263)
Amazing! That Bowser fight was one of my favorites ever. I can't wait for smw96.
Retired smw-96, smw any%
Expert player (2453)
Beautiful TAS, amazing improvements! This is Super Mario World TAS at its best. Can't wait for 96-exit TAS also! :) Update: Side-by-side comparison video: Link to video Note: It seems that the new TAS saves 3 frames in the Dark Room, but somehow loses 1 frame in the final Bowser fight.
Recent projects: SMB warpless TAS (2018), SMB warpless walkathon (2019), SMB something never done before (2019), Extra Mario Bros. (best ending) (2020).
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Magnificient improvement. I am in awe how the time for this game can still be lowered after all these years. Yes vote.
Pancake001
He/Him
This is great.
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1638)
What impressive how the amount of frames saved is the same as the previous TAS. Maybe because of framerules? YI3, YI4 and YI1 were impressive! Yes vote. Also, how the progress of 96-exit is going?
My homepage --Currently not much motived for TASing as before...-- But I'm still working.
Amaraticando
It/Its
Editor, Player (158)
Now this is gorgeous. Yoshi Island 1 surprised me the most. I'll make a comparison video.
Editor, Skilled player (1410)
Thank you all for the positive feedback!
The8bitbeast wrote:
Interesting about the cloud glitch too. How much time do you think cloud would save if it were used?
It skips most of the Bowser fight, but you can't orb the Castle or stun glitch in YI4. Perhaps ~40 seconds?
Challenger wrote:
What impressive how the amount of frames saved is the same as the previous TAS. Maybe because of framerules?
It's just a nice coincidence. The star warp frame rule does force any improvement of real frames to be a multiple of 8, but there are tons of lag improvements and trade-offs in this run as well, which aren't affected by frame rules.
Challenger wrote:
Also, how the progress of 96-exit is going?
About half way through, it's been a while I don't work on it. Most likely scenario is I will give up of some very early improvements and of deep score/coin/frame rule planning in order to get it finished some day.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVoUfT49xN9TU-gDMHv57sw Projects: SMW 96 exit. SDW any%, with Amaraticando. SMA2 SMW small only Kaizo Mario World 3
dnnzao
He/Him
Former player
Definitely yes! The way you handled YI1 also was cool.
sorry my bad english... - Finished projects: Super Demo World any% - SMW Hack - Dropped projecs: Super Demo World All Exits - SMW Hack Super Mario World All Exits
Amaraticando
It/Its
Editor, Player (158)
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Skilled player (1638)
Dang! I rarely watch TASes all the way to the end. This was something to admire. Yes vote for improvement. Yes vote on entertainment...and yes, yes, YES!
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
Player (80)
Voting yes for the new improvement
Player (226)
Great work! I wouldn't have expected another 2 seconds to come off this run! Couple questions:
  • Why not do YI1 first? Wouldn't that save 8 units of backtracking?
  • In YI3, how is the red shell contributing to the dupes?
Btw, love the Big Boo fight! Are those some kind of runes?
warmCabin wrote:
Why not do YI1 first? Wouldn't that save 8 units of backtracking?
It would be impossible to stun glitch in YI4, because it's necessary to take damage and the orb would fall from the item box.
warmCabin wrote:
In YI3, how is the red shell contributing to the dupes?
When a turn block is hit by the first time in a level, it starts spinning and a block sprite, which takes slot 3, is set to it. If you hit more turn blocks before the first stops spinning, they'll start spinning as well and their block sprites will take slot 2, then 1, then 0. If none of the 4 slots is slots available, however, and you hit a new turn block, the block that is on slot 3 will stop spinning, and the block you just hit will start spinning, taking slot 3. If you keep doing this, then slot 2 will be taken, then 1, then 0, then 3 again. That is, it's impossible to 5 blocks to spin at the same time. What was done in previous runs was to, after duplicating each block, double hitting (hitting with Mario and with a item at the same time) 2 blocks quickly, so that 4 sprite blocks are spawned and the block you duplicated stops spinning and you can duplicate it again. Instead of that, I used this method with the red shell, so that while Mario was hitting blocks around the duplications, the shell was contributing hitting blocks much faster than Mario could do by himself.
warmCabin wrote:
Are those some kind of runes?
Well, that was a reference to a meme that came a couple years too late.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVoUfT49xN9TU-gDMHv57sw Projects: SMW 96 exit. SDW any%, with Amaraticando. SMA2 SMW small only Kaizo Mario World 3
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3967)
DID YOU SERIOUSLY ADD LOSS TO THIS MOVIE? yes vote!
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Player (226)
BrunoVisnadi wrote:
warmCabin wrote:
In YI3, how is the red shell contributing to the dupes?
It's impossible to 5 blocks to spin at the same time. I used this method with the red shell, so that while Mario was hitting blocks around the duplications, the shell was contributing hitting blocks much faster than Mario could do by himself.
Ah, gotcha. It's the same principle behind that zip in Star World 1.
BrunoVisnadi wrote:
warmCabin wrote:
Are those some kind of runes?
Well, that was a reference to a meme that came a couple years too late.
Idk what you mean. Pretty sure I saw some rune or symbol like that once, in like Stone Henge or something. Edit: found it
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3967)
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Editor, Player (163)
This is true art! Can't wait for the next 165 frames shaved in 2025
Games are basically math with a visual representation of this math, that's why I make the scripts, to re-see games as math. My things: YouTube, GitHub, Pastebin, Twitter
prouzi
He/Him
This is awesome. The comparison video is also great.
Hi. I exist.
warmCabin wrote:
Idk what you mean. Pretty sure I saw some rune or symbol like that once, in like Stone Henge or something. Edit: found it
It's what Colin said in the post before this one. Interesting observation with the similarity with the runes though.
HappyLee wrote:
Note: It seems that the new TAS saves 3 frames in the Dark Room, but somehow loses 1 frame in the final Bowser fight.
I didn't clarify this in the submission text. In the previous run, we slowed down a bit in the dark room to reduce lag, so we entered Bowser's door 1 frame late, which was the good frame parity. This time the best way I found to reduce lag involved losing less subpixels. I entered the door, thus, 1 frame before, and saved 2 lags, 3 frames in total. Only the lags mater, though, since Bowser started with bad frame parity and I immediately lost that frame back. Thanks for the comparison video, by the way!
Alyosha
He/Him
Editor, Expert player (3522)
Nice Bowser fight, yes vote.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
BrunoVisnadi: You said you had an SRAM bug to look into? Any progress?
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Nach wrote:
BrunoVisnadi: You said you had an SRAM bug to look into? Any progress?
Ops, I forgot I left that message. If you were waiting for me to check it to proceed judging, I apologize. I talked to a couple people and they said it's probably a parser bug, so I didn't bother diving into the details. If it's crucial for the acceptance of the submission, I might look into it and/or ask for more help, but I will only have time for so in a couple weeks at least.