Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is my first TAS of a full game.
Cabbage Patch Kids is an unreleased game for the Atari 2600. This TAS aims to beat the game as fast as possible.

Maru: The forum thread for this submission provides sufficient feedback regarding the optimization of this TAS. Please read that thread carefully. TASes that are submitted here need to beat all records and not have obvious mistakes. Since this is yet another TAS that I have had to cancel for poor optimization and breaking movie rules, consider this a warning that if this behavior continues to persist, your submission privileges may be revoked until you can prove that you can create a TAS up to site standard. Please familiarize yourself with the movie rules in its entirety. Canceling.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
SonicFan53
He/Him
Sorry if the description is a little dull... I wanted to get the TAS submitted quickly.
*playing Sonic Chaos*
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3966)
SonicFan53 wrote:
Sorry if the description is a little dull... I wanted to get the TAS submitted quickly.
you shouldnt be worried about getting a tas out there "Quickly", alot of us spend time to make sure everything is perfect and optimized. you cant expect somthing to be made quickly and have it be accepted.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
ViGadeomes
He/Him
Judge, Active player (303)
Maybe he is just speaking about the submission text EzGames69. Try to complete your submission text as quickly as possible SonicFan53.
Lobsterzelda
He/Him
Skilled player (1220)
You have a huge amount of blank input at the end of your TAS, so I can't tell what the final time for this should be. Also, you should always spend at least one full day TASing a game before submitting it. If you submit a TAS in less than a day, you're doing something wrong (which you are in this case). Given how quickly you submitted this and how low your re-record count is, I can almost guarantee that this submission could be over a second faster (ignoring the blank input frames at the end). Remember, all it takes to be a good TASer is to have patience and persistence; All it takes to be a bad TASer is to not have patience and persistence. There is no difference in innate skill or ability that separates the two.
Lobsterzelda
He/Him
Skilled player (1220)
Actually, as it turns out, I didn't even need to try improving this TAS to prove that it could be more than a second faster. I uploaded a copy of this TAS with the blank input frames at the end removed here: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/61638793966706215 As you can see, this movie is over 2 seconds slower than the rejected movie, which itself was rejected due to poor optimization. Please make sure that your TAS beats all known existing records BEFORE you submit it to the workbench. Otherwise, you just end up wasting the judges' time and the time of any viewers who vote on your movie.
Personman
Other
SonicFan, having also seen some of your posts over in General, I'd like to say a few words to you about your participation in this community. It's legitimately really cool that you are excited about TASing, and I want you to be here and have a good time. I hope you don't get discouraged by the frustration of some other members. That said, their frustration is justified. You are making claims about your abilities that do not quite line up with reality, and that wastes people's time. I think all the problems would be solved if you just present yourself in a more realistic fashion — you are new to TASing, and you've got a lot to learn, but there are a lot of people here who want to help you! If you posted this same TAS in the Newbie Corner asking for feedback, that would be wonderful — it's great that you're trying out the tools, it's great that you made a full-game TAS, everything going on here is great except that you chose to submit it here without having verified that it beats existing records.
A warb degombs the brangy. Your gitch zanks and leils the warb.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2284)
Lobsterzelda wrote:
As you can see, this movie is over 2 seconds slower than the rejected movie, which itself was rejected due to poor optimization.
If you Spiked the ending input to have a jump instead it's 4 frames slower not 2 whole seconds. This isn't an improvement in any ways since it's still slower but it is a far cry from 2 seconds. And then you add 23 frames and realize it's 27 frames slower than submission. I'm probably off by a frame with my numbers but whatever it's still slower than the rejected submission.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Lobsterzelda
He/Him
Skilled player (1220)
Spikestuff wrote:
Lobsterzelda wrote:
As you can see, this movie is over 2 seconds slower than the rejected movie, which itself was rejected due to poor optimization.
If you Spiked the ending input to have a jump instead it's 4 frames slower not 2 whole seconds. This isn't an improvement in any ways since it's still slower but it is a far cry from 2 seconds. And then you add 23 frames and realize it's 27 frames slower.
Are you using timing from power-on to last input?
Spikestuff
They/Them
For the sake of it, let's do that compare game. Even though it's obvious that it's not needed as stated by previous comments. And when you can hypothetically say this game was made in an hour. Left is my old input, Right is you. Again to echo that post from almost a year ago. I don't do platformers for TASes (in most cases). So there may or not be issues with my input. However, in the 3 parts I'm showing off. I still reckon it's important enough to compare to and quickly show what's wrong.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
SonicFan53
He/Him
….I'm never gonna get a TAS accepted D:
*playing Sonic Chaos*
Spikestuff
They/Them
Because you're not taking the advice of take your time.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
SonicFan53
He/Him
Oh. Ok. I should probably find another, ideally LONGER, game to TAS then... maybe... uhh… yea idk.
*playing Sonic Chaos*
Bloopiero
Any
Active player (351)
Why would it have to be longer? Taking your time isn't dependent on the length of the game.
Whale eat again
Spikestuff
They/Them
Length of Game =/= Length of time spent TASing. A minute TAS could take a month (or more) to create for example. But. If you insist that want a little longer game, and show that you have what it takes to TAS then: The Tengen version of Ms. Pac-Man on Mini Co-op should be able to teach you what you should learn. (I recommend the NES version since smaller hurdle to jump) Or that Vectrex game you so very much wanted to do... Mine Storm II. That has some things that can help you better understand how to TAS. Just gunning it never works. It only works AS LONG AS YOU PUT IN THE TIME.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
SonicFan53
He/Him
Got it. I think I'll go back to trying to do Mine Storm II.
*playing Sonic Chaos*
SonicFan53
He/Him
ViGadeomes wrote:
Maybe he is just speaking about the submission text EzGames69. Try to complete your submission text as quickly as possible SonicFan53.
I should've said this earlier but I did try to optimize the TAS itself, but I wanted to get it submitted quickly after finishing.
*playing Sonic Chaos*
Experienced player (994)
SonicFan53 wrote:
... I wanted to get it submitted quickly after finishing.
There's no reason to do that (especially when it doesn't beat a known record). There is no one racing you on making a TAS for the same game. Even if there was, only the fastest of the two would get published. Take your time and focus on quality. On the submission page use the 'Prefill Submission Text' button. It will give you an excellent framework to follow for writing submission text. Use it to help explain what tricks were used in each level or any oddities that made the tas easier/harder to make.
SonicFan53
He/Him
WarHippy wrote:
Take your time and focus on quality. On the submission page use the 'Prefill Submission Text' button. It will give you an excellent framework to follow for writing submission text. Use it to help explain what tricks were used in each level or any oddities that made the tas easier/harder to make.
Ok. (I swear, every little thing I do causes something bad. D:)
*playing Sonic Chaos*
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Skilled player (1638)
Hmmm. This seems to be a recurring issue with newbies. There is nothing like slowing down and figuring out a game. In fact, the longer I have worked on a game...the more I have found. Embarrassingly enough, all my TASes have been submitted with flaws...not because I didn't take a great deal of time to figure it out, but because I didn't do enough testing to find things that were not so obvious. Simple platforming games, like this one, still has challenges to get through. Its no all about holding "RIGHT". Spikestuff clearly made that known with his effort. Experience pays off, but if you have none...you have to start with the right approach. SLOW DOWN and stop racing to do something. I made this mistake with my very first submission and FAILED. I think you'll be surprised how rewarding it is to put a decent amount of time into a TAS. Then length of a game certainly doesn't mandate a certain amount of time. If this wasn't so, then the Gameboy version of Tetris (B Game), wouldn't be in the MILLIONS of re-recording by a BOT. When this TAS was done, it cut around 6 seconds from the previous version. Check out Mr. Wint's TAS: http://tasvideos.org/4536S.html If your TAS does get accepted...you take the chance of increasing the visibility of your submission and creating a challenge for others to obsolete yours.
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
SonicFan53
He/Him
nymx wrote:
Hmmm. This seems to be a recurring issue with newbies. There is nothing like slowing down and figuring out a game. In fact, the longer I have worked on a game...the more I have found. Embarrassingly enough, all my TASes have been submitted with flaws...not because I didn't take a great deal of time to figure it out, but because I didn't do enough testing to find things that were not so obvious. Simple platforming games, like this one, still has challenges to get through. Its no all about holding "RIGHT". Spikestuff clearly made that known with his effort. Experience pays off, but if you have none...you have to start with the right approach. SLOW DOWN and stop racing to do something. I made this mistake with my very first submission and FAILED. I think you'll be surprised how rewarding it is to put a decent amount of time into a TAS. Then length of a game certainly doesn't mandate a certain amount of time. If this wasn't so, then the Gameboy version of Tetris (B Game), wouldn't be in the MILLIONS of re-recording by a BOT. When this TAS was done, it cut around 6 seconds from the previous version. Check out Mr. Wint's TAS: http://tasvideos.org/4536S.html If your TAS does get accepted...you take the chance of increasing the visibility of your submission and creating a challenge for others to obsolete yours.
I really need to take my time... Sorry. I like to go fast, like Sonic.
*playing Sonic Chaos*
Lobsterzelda
He/Him
Skilled player (1220)
SonicFan53 wrote:
Ironically, by going slowly and taking your time to make a more optimized movie, your final submission itself would be faster... like Sonic.
SonicFan53
He/Him
Lobsterzelda wrote:
SonicFan53 wrote:
Ironically, by going slowly and taking your time to make a more optimized movie, your final submission itself would be faster... like Sonic.
Good point. Lol.
*playing Sonic Chaos*
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... minty!