(Link to video)
A few years ago, zyr2288 made a 2 Players TAS of Jackal, the time is 7:16.73. But he didn't submitted it on TASV. Now we improved it with 355 frames, which include 68 frames and 287 lags. The main technique used in this TAS is shoot at the bottom of the screen to attack the enemy at the top of the screen. In this work, I am mainly responsible for editing TAS. Zyr2288 provided me with his previous FM2 documents, and proposed some improvement points and technical support. Zyr2288 also a hack author of Jackal. He has a deep understanding of the game. You can download his Jackal hack on romhacking.net.
In the fifth level, at 19688th frame of this TAS, I took a shortcut near the airport, it can save 17 frames' journey. At the end of fifth level, I let 2p die and get a flash captive, to reduce the weapon level of 2p. Because in the last level, 2p is too far behind, high-level weapons can not play a practical effect, and will cause a lot of lag.
About the final level, the machine gun track at 24311 frame is the difficulty of TAS. With the help of the limit of the maximum number of enemies in the game, some machine guns can be controlled to be unable to shoot.
Screenshot suggest is 19764F, 19688F or 24263F.

feos: Nice improvements, and 2P makes it look better than 1P, yet there wasn't a lot of excitement in the audience feedback, and the existing runs have Vault ratings. Also as I showed in the thread, 1P and 2P still look quite similar. So we can't have them as 2 branches, and I'm not sure which tier this submission should be accepted to. The current publication was only moved to Moons because it was theorized that it had a time-saving death that it avoided, but there's no convincing evidence about this. Originally it was vaulted when the tier was created, like both its predecessors. I personally consider it borderline. I'll do the same thing I did to #5992: klmz's NES Formation Z in 01:51.90 and accept this to Moons, because it's still a vaultable goal and we can move it if we need later. This obsoletes [1164] NES Jackal "1 player" by klmz in 07:25.98.
Dacicus: Processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6640: zyr2288 & aiqiyou's NES Jackal "2 players" in 07:10.82
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Well done! Your mission accomplished. More seriously, how do so many games have a glitch where the bottom of the screen and the top are connected? That made a huge difference in the lag management here. Nice work.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
aiqiyou
He/Him
Skilled player (1782)
I think it's best to publish both 1 player and 2 players mode. Instead of using this to obsolete the 1 player TAS.
aiqiyou
He/Him
Skilled player (1782)
mklip2001 wrote:
More seriously, how do so many games have a glitch where the bottom of the screen and the top are connected?
When the memory value is greater than 255, it becomes 0. I think that's the main reason.
CoolHandMike
He/Him
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (635)
I liked this but I kind of wished it felt more like both cars were going wild equally. A lot of the time it felt like the second car was just kind of along for the ride.
discord: CoolHandMike#0352
aiqiyou
He/Him
Skilled player (1782)
CoolHandMike wrote:
I liked this but I kind of wished it felt more like both cars were going wild equally. A lot of the time it felt like the second car was just kind of along for the ride.
It's ture. However, in order to save lag, I have to do so. Let the backward players attack the bottom of the screen to ensure that the enemy is killed as soon as possible, this is a compromise.
Judge, Skilled player (1278)
Did you ask to zyr2288 if he wanted to be included in the author list of this submission?
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: thunderaxe31 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
aiqiyou
He/Him
Skilled player (1782)
ThunderAxe31 wrote:
Did you ask to zyr2288 if he wanted to be included in the author list of this submission?
He gave me his previous FM2 file, and proposed the improvement to let the red Jeep death at 6th level. And so on. I'm sorry I didn't mention that in my description. I think I need to re edit my submission. Thank you for your reminder.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
The current publication has a Forgoes time-saving death tag, but it wasn't clear in its submission text if it was actually a way to have a shorter movie. Can you address it please?
But can't you still utilize two players while avoiding lags? Yes, sucide can be abused to have only one jeep on the screento avoid lags, and the game-over player can "borrow" a life from the other to join boss fight, and then commit sucide again. This can be a faster way than this movie uses, but I deprecated it for the sake of entertainment.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
aiqiyou
He/Him
Skilled player (1782)
feos wrote:
The current publication has a Forgoes time-saving death tag, but it wasn't clear in its submission text if it was actually a way to have a shorter movie. Can you address it please?
But can't you still utilize two players while avoiding lags? Yes, sucide can be abused to have only one jeep on the screento avoid lags, and the game-over player can "borrow" a life from the other to join boss fight, and then commit sucide again. This can be a faster way than this movie uses, but I deprecated it for the sake of entertainment.
Game hard level = $33 I tried to let 1P game over. But invincible time is too long, and we have too many lives. I will kill 1p as soon as possible at the first level boss. After resurrection, when the invincible time is over, the enemy's third tank has appeared. Apart from here, I can't think of any other place where 1p can die.
aiqiyou
He/Him
Skilled player (1782)
When there is only one hostage in our jeep, there will be no hostage appear after the car explosion.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Comparison video Link to video mmbossman said about the current run that it doesn't look too different from the 2P one, and even though this is a new movie, I kind of agree that the same applies to it and 1P. The facts that it was initially sent to Vault also means there's little chance to have 2 branches for this game.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [4133] NES Jackal "2 players" by zyr2288, aiqiyou in 07:10.82