(Link to video)
Explained Video (includes detailed breakdowns of tricks used):
Technical details:
  • Emulator used: Bizhawk 1.11.8 (Glide64mk2 / HLE)
  • Heavy glitch abuse

Overview

Donkey Kong 64 chronicles the adventure of five simians to defeat the evil reptile King K. Rool. To get the final key to fight the King you must collect 100 Gold Bananas (think Super Mario 64 stars), thousands of loose bananas, two special coins hidden behind classic arcade games, 15 banana medallions, 4 battle crowns, dozens of banana coins, and more. The game has even made it into the Guinness Book of Records for “Most Collectable Items”. We’re just going to skip all that.
There are two main goals in this run: spawn K. Rool, and beat K. Rool. The former requires the third and eighth key in this game - keys 1, 2, and 4-7 are supposed to be “required” to get key 8. The latter requires getting enough abilities for the Kongs that they can win the 10+ minute fight.
Central to this run is a trick called “Main Menu Mode” (MMM). Freeing all the Kongs and buying moves turns out to be a very time consuming process, but through MMM that can be skipped. Much of the middle of the run is devoted to setting up and executing MMM. This includes unlocking seemingly useless features on the main menu, notably a Rambi minigame and the ability to re-watch cutscenes.
The final time of this run is slower than the best real time runners. This is for three reasons.
  • RTA timing is about 33 seconds shorter than TAS timing.
  • The Wii U Virtual Console version has at least a minute worth of less lag.
  • Unlike this TAS, real time runs start with main menu features already unlocked. As is standard, I avoid using dirty SRAM. This makes for a more entertaining run with less questionable validity. This choice costs on the order of 4.5 minutes.

Tricks and Techniques

If you are interested in learning more about the tricks and techniques used in this run, I would highly, highly recommend watching the "Explained" link above. It is incredibly comprehensive and informative, and the visuals explain things way better than I could in text.

Improvement Details

This run is about 50 seconds faster than the previous iteration. This is thanks to new techniques to optimize movement, a new trick (phasewalking) that makes passing through walls even easier and faster than before, and a new route (and corresponding tricks) that skips learning how to throw orange grenades.

Etc

Endless thanks to Bismuth for working with me to produce the explained version of this run. Had he not approached me about a video on this topic, I would not have made this new version. Thanks to TJ Blakely for discovering phasewalking and making this redo worth the effort. But dude, don't find a major glitch immediately after I submit this again. And thanks to theballaam96 for helping me get this route working with his original research on temporary flags.
I will always have to thank Isotarge and Cronikeys for their work on emulation for this game. Hats off to Exchord for discovering so many things about ISG including MMM, as well as telegrab and moonkick. And thanks to everyone else who has helped or advised who I didn’t name.
If you want more DK64 tool-assisted content, you can find a 101% low-optimized TAS by theballaam here.
You can also check out some cool A button challenge videos on my alternate channel here

Maru: Judging.
feos: Reset to New.
Memory: Judging.
Memory: He-he-here we go!
So I'm finally here, judging for you
If you know the link, you can watch it too
I put my hands together, cuz I want to clap
As I take you through this awesome TAS!
Huh!
So this TAS seems to be really high quality. There are no signs of any sloppiness.
As mentioned by the previous judgment note, typically in real time DK64 speedruns, dirty sram is used. Like the previous movie, this submission also avoids dirty sram. However, the lack of said SRAM barely seems to slow this TAS down at all. As such this should continue to be the standard for this particular branch.
This game is broken in so many ways that it will always manage to be entertaining, even if movement can be a tad slow. The audience also agreed, with overwhelming positive posts and votes.
Accepting to Moons as an improvement to [3411] N64 Donkey Kong 64 by RingRush in 27:37.60.
feos: Pub.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6647: RingRush's N64 Donkey Kong 64 in 26:46.83
Blazephlozard
He/Him
Banned User
Fantastic TAS, and immensely great explanation video. I've followed DK64 runs off and on for years, and to get such a thorough explanation of the WHY behind tricks like swim through vertical walls (which now also includes walk through walls!), moonkicks, Main Menu Moves and telegrabbing was great. What little requirements are left in this game's any%, and the Intro Story timing and boss segments, come together to have in my opinion a perfect balance between quick progression and playaround time. Managing to find time to show K. Rool's control room is the peak of entertainment to me! David Wonn would be so proud!
The8bitbeast
He/Him
Expert player (2523)
Amazing work. The room inside dk isles was also a highlight for me. I wasn't expecting phase walking to open up such a different route. This was awesome. I appreciated the timing comparison breakdown at the end of the explanation video. The clean cart is starting to feel very comfy. I would still really love to see a dirty SRAM TAS at some point too. Yes vote
Patashu
He/Him
A new DK64 and Sonic Heroes TAS on the same day, this is so great! I loved the commentary video for this and the new route is amazing too. Such a wonderful watch, yes vote. TAS of the year is going to be tough in 2020!
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Former player
This is a great improvement that perfectly demonstrates how broken this game is. Walls are nothing but a "suggestion". I particularly enjoyed all the effort that went into making even the moments of downtime during the Mad Jack and K. Rool fights interesting. Strong yes vote from me!
Current project: Gex 3 any% Paused: Gex 64 any% There are no N64 emulators. Just SM64 emulators with hacky support for all the other games.
theballaam96
He/Him
Player (198)
Particularly love how different the clean cart TAS route is (compared to the dirty cart RTA route) and how crisp the execution is in this TAS. Yes Vote
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3965)
Does this new movie feature any emulation differences compared to the older movie?
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Tompa
Any
Editor, Expert player (2141)
Wonderful TAS! Wonderful video by Bismuth! Wonderful!
Experienced player (511)
This movie does not have any emulation differences from the previous one. Apologies to whoever faces the daunting task of encoding this. RE: Dirty cart. I've already routed this and will likely be producing a video in the next month or two. However, it will be 85-90% spliced footage from this TAS - for the most part dirty cart just ends up as a subset of the clean cart run with ISG at a different spot.
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Skilled player (1637)
Wow. I'm impressed. Very amazing TAS with amazing commentary. Great job. Yes vote.
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
Zinfidel
He/Him
Player (200)
This TAS is totally insane. The game is so completely and thoroughly broken and exploited in order to finish it at record speed. The commentary/breakdown of this TAS is easily the best I've ever seen, and I watched with great interest the entire time. Even without the excellent commentary, the TAS is joyfully bizarre to watch. Very obvious yes vote.
Personman
Other
The explanation video is truly incredible.
A warb degombs the brangy. Your gitch zanks and leils the warb.
Yes vote. I've been following DK64 as a speedgame since Manocheese was posting timesaves on SDA 10 years ago and I still learned a lot from the explanation video! What a fascinating speedgame.
Personman wrote:
The explanation video is truly incredible.
My favorite line
At this point you might be thinking that DK can just walk through any wall at will. Well, yes, that's kinda true.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
This was even more entertaining than the previous run! New glitches, a better route, and some nice playing around during the MMM setup. And that was a fantastic explanation video. Yes vote!
Very impressive, and loved the video explaining how the TAS was created and the reason of the moves being done. I actually find those types of videos to be just as entertaining and sometime even more if it's a WTF moment. Yes vote for obvious reasons. PS: Please lets have more videos explaining in details the TAS.
CoolHandMike
He/Him
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (636)
Yes! Very impressive tricks with an excellent explanation video.
discord: CoolHandMike#0352
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Doesn't sync for me on 1.11.8, 1.11.8.1, 1.11.8.2, 1.12.0, 1.13.2, with 640x480, glide64mk2, 100% speed.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Memory
She/Her
Site Admin, Skilled player (1522)
feos wrote:
Doesn't sync for me on 1.11.8, 1.11.8.1, 1.11.8.2, 1.12.0, 1.13.2, with 640x480, glide64mk2, 100% speed.
Synced for me just fine.
[16:36:31] <Mothrayas> I have to say this argument about robot drug usage is a lot more fun than whatever else we have been doing in the past two+ hours
[16:08:10] <BenLubar> a TAS is just the limit of a segmented speedrun as the segment length approaches zero
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3965)
I also got it to sync when it was first submitted. I took a screenshot as proof but deleted it after it was Accepted.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [4192] N64 Donkey Kong 64 by RingRush in 26:46.83