(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
Yeah you wanted to forget this Port existed, but we will never forget it does.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: BizHawk 2.4
  • takes damage to save time
  • Uses GBA BIOS

Comments

this is a 134 frame improvement to the publication, if you only count out the differences in bios time. Each loading screen is about a frame longer than VBA.
This movie was originally made in VBA, but I was able to convert it into bizhawk and sync between stages. the only input I contributed to this movie was during the Bowser fight. Originally this movie wasnt finished and only did the first 2 phases of the boss, I ended up finishing the 3rd phase and did the best I could to end input as early as possible.
I had this movie ready for awhile but I did not want to submit it until I got approval from Bruno, he was ok with it.
Keep in mind that I (EZGames) do not know much about TASing SMW, so if I get some information incorrect (which I bet I will do) in the submission text I'm sorry. Hopefully someone will correct me and I can update the text properly, or Bruno can come in later and do it.
Just like the previous movie, this movie uses the Japanese version because it has a faster title screen.
anyway, here we go.

Stage by stage comments

Yoshi's Island 2

Since this is the GBA version, there is no known way to get ACE yet, and block duplication doesnt seem to be a thing in this version, so we don't bother grabbing Yoshi for the whole game.

Yoshi's Island 3

The camera in the GBA version only moves vertically upwards if you stand or run on the ground long enough, this doesnt save time but is cool to see off screen movement

Yoshi's Island 4

we use a shell jump to get over the river here. Not much else to say.

Iggy's Castle

small mario is able to clear some gaps faster than big mario. I am not sure why Flower Mario wasn't used for the iggy fight, perhaps it has no effect on him or that getting the flower would waste more time than it saves. not sure.

Donut Plains 1

unlike the SNES version, items once they spawn have an invincibility period before they can be collected. that's why you see Bruno moving back a bit before getting the feather. we of course use the secret exit to go into the water.

Donut Secret 1

as usual, a shell is collected in the cave area due to mario's horizontal speed increasing if he is holding an item. we go though the secret exit again.

Donut Secret House

the stairs clip seems to work in the GBA version as well. the trick to getting immediate P speed though doors unfortunately does not work.

Star World 1

the clip through the blocks does not work as well as in the SNES verison, but it can still be done, just with a bit of setup. The setup in this area is one of the improvements made to this game.

Star World 2

one of the changes made to the GBA port was the secret exit area, for some reason they made it slightly longer.

Star World 3

a blue block was collected to make the key appear sooner.
an interesting mechanic in the GBA version is you can still hold items while in the flying cape mode, this will be used in the next stage

Star World 4

an extra fether is collected in this stage that will be used for a damage boost in Bowser's castle
since we can grab a shell while in flying mode, we can bring it with us to open the key block faster.

Bowser's Castle

Like mentioned earlier, you cant transfer speed between doors, so for the 2nd room, we have to jump through this area the more intended way.
for the 5th room, you can walk through the spikes through means of a damage boost, unlike on SNES where they act as walls.

Bowser fight

the GBA version does not have a ceiling, so we can get as high as we can in this area.
the boss fight is pretty much the same here, this is also where I started adding my (EZGames) own inputs. I ended input by doing one lunge upwards and falling on bowser to take damage and deal the last hit.

Other comments

Just to reiterate, most if not all of the main inputs in this movie were done by BrunoVisnadi, the only changes I made were some syncing inputs to account for differences in emulation, which thankfully this movie had very little to change (other than 1 frame slower loading time and one or two lag frames). The other inputs were just finishing up the final phase of the Bowser fight.
Thank you to BrunoVisnadi for allowing me to submit his movie and for letting me finish it up. I added him as an editor for this movie in case he has anything extra to add.

feos: Judging...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
*sigh* I am waiting for an all Dragon Coins run...
Fortranm
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (775)
SMA2 is the definitive version of Super Mario World. You can't change my mind. Yes vote.
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3965)
PikachuMan wrote:
*sigh* I am waiting for an all Dragon Coins run...
And this is relevant to this specific submission how?
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Amaraticando
It/Its
Editor, Player (157)
" the GBA version does not have a ceiling, so we can get as high as we can in this area." Then Mario should get as high as possible in order to minimize input length, right?
EZGames69
He/They
Amaraticando wrote:
" the GBA version does not have a ceiling, so we can get as high as we can in this area." Then Mario should get as high as possible in order to minimize input length, right?
This might be wrong actually. It’s possible that the ceiling is still there, just that it’s higher up because the GBA height isn’t as tall as SNES. Either way, I did what I could to try and get as high up as possible, but I unfortunately dont know this game well enough on a tasing level to pull it off. If someone wants to experiment they are free to do so.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Editor, Skilled player (1409)
Amaraticando wrote:
The reason for which I didn't submit this movie I made years ago is precisely due to the fact it would be ridiculously hard to end input optimally, for various reasons. It's way worse than it looks, it'd take weeks and tons of effort, so I simply got demotivated. Colin synced my movie to Bizhawk some time ago, which is something I appreciated, and he insisted to me quite a lot to let him submit it. At first I didn't want him to because I really don't like to send material I feel to be suboptimal, but I eventually agreed because I realized I'd never get around to touch that movie again and it's probably better to submit something than to submit nothing at all. After seeing the Bowser Kill, though, I don't know how I feel about this anymore :/ I thought Colin would aim for fastest Bowser Kill instead of fastest input end (I think he said that at some point but I might be wrong), which I would be OK with, although it's not my favorite style. Watching now, it seems he didn't go for any of these goals at all :/ It obviously makes no sense to hurt Mario if you are aiming for fastest kill (no point in letting the screen to freeze for a while), and if you are aiming for shortest input Mario should have started flying 30 seconds sooner, carrying a Mechakoopa. Since most of my real life activities got cancelled due to covid, I'll have much more free time than usual for a few months. Thus, I'll be able to do some TASing during this time, and although I mostly intend to work on 96 exit, I might touch this movie again and give it a proper end of input. In a couple weeks, hopefully I will get it done. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh to Colin, but as I said, I really don't like the position of having suboptimal material submitted. It's related to how I view the 'philosophy' of TASing and what I think the point of this should be, but we can discuss this (and we probably did several times) at a more appropriate place.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVoUfT49xN9TU-gDMHv57sw Projects: SMW 96 exit. SDW any%, with Amaraticando. SMA2 SMW small only Kaizo Mario World 3
EZGames69
He/They
I'll work my way to saving as much end input as I can, I wouldnt be surprised if this starts a frame war. but either way: -37 http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/61996412906872107
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
BrunoVisnadi wrote:
Since most of my real life activities got cancelled due to covid, I'll have much more free time than usual for a few months. Thus, I'll be able to do some TASing during this time, and although I mostly intend to work on 96 exit, I might touch this movie again and give it a proper end of input. In a couple weeks, hopefully I will get it done.
Any news on this, especially in light of the improvement posted above?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
feos wrote:
Any news on this, especially in light of the improvement posted above?
It's still possible to improve it way further. I won't be able to touch it until May, though.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVoUfT49xN9TU-gDMHv57sw Projects: SMW 96 exit. SDW any%, with Amaraticando. SMA2 SMW small only Kaizo Mario World 3
EZGames69
He/They
Should I just cancel this submission until then?
Bruno?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
I think it's up to you guys. You might cancel it or set it as delayed, not sure what's more appropriate. I can't guarantee how early I'll be able to come up with the improvement
Sounds like cancellation then.
EZGames69
He/They
Yeah I'll go ahead and cancel.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... juicy!