(Link to video)
Mega Man 4 Voyage is a heavily modified romhack of Mega Man 4, with completely new tiles, level design, weapons, minibosses bosses AI, and a very unique soundtrack done exclusively for this romhack! This TAS tries to go as fast as possible using almost all weapons, there is a item in this game called Speed Boost, this item increase Mega Man's speed while he walk and climb ladders, this is a very useful item so you will see this all through this run.

Game Objetctives

• Manipulate luck
  • Takes Damage to save time
  • Complete the game as fast as possible

Run Comments

Like any other romhack, you can change weapon with Select or even A and B of the second controller, this is very useful to change weapon almost instantly on the run. You can skip the get weapon animation from all the 8 Robot Masters fights like in the original Mega Man 4. There is another item in this game that replaces Wire, it's the Spike Guard, this item gives you invulnerability for a limited time, but this item will not save any time because you have to pass an entire new section on Ring Man Stage to pick this item and is not needed in any part (Fake Wily 3 almost, but you can do the spikes section without the Spike Guard).

Robot Master Order

You want to obtain the Speed Boost as soon as possible to use during all the run, that's why Bright Man is the first one on the route. Ring Man 2nd, his weakness is his own weapon but i don't have his weapon yet, i don't need any other weapon than Speed Boost for the stage itself so i can do it without problems and i can easily kill Ring Man with Mega Buster without losing any pattern or losing big time. The following order is by weakness, no other specific reason.

Speed Boost

The Speed Boost is very useful in moments like when Mega Man is not sliding like jumping, falling and climbing ladders, this weapon wastes only when Mega Man is doing these three things. If you change weapon and back again to the Speed Boost just before you waste a bar, you can use that bar a bit more.

Speed Glitch

This game has a Speed Glitch that actually is a bit faster than the Speed Boost, in every Boss Fight before the Boss appears you have 1 frame to do any input, if you slide in this frame then you will gain speed with the weapon you have entered the room, the bad thing is if you do a slide again or if you change weapon the Speed Glitch dissapears and you will be with normal speed, this is useful on some Robot Masters, Fake Wily 2 (lasers section) and Fake Wily 3 (water section), not useful in Wily 2 because you have to change weapons on the fights.

Bosses Fights

Like in the original Mega Man 4, the most optimal fight is to kill the Boss on the center of the screen, some fights looks a bit slow because i have to wait him to move to the center (Dive Man, Doc Bubble), but that is actually a bit faster than killing him on the sides of the screen.

Mega Buster Fights

You will see that some Bosses are killed with Mega Buster, these bosses has no weakness in particular, so the most optimal fight is to killing them with Mega Buster (Wily 1, Wily 2 Quick Man and 2nd Phase of Wily Capsule).

Wily 3 Refights

This game replaces Ballon with Speed Boost, so you can't skip the entire Refights like in the original Mega Man 4 and you don't have any other platform item to zipping on the ceiling. Skull Man Refight is a bit slower than the 8 Robot Master one since you have to save Drill to kill Wily Machine (2nd phase) optimally. Ring Man dies instantly with his own weapon, no problem.

Wily Capsule

Like i said, the 2nd Phase of Wily Capsule has no weakness, the most optimal fight that you can do is shooting with Buster or Pharaoh and when he falls to do his attack, shoot Mega Busters.

feos: Few people reacted to this movie, probably due to the submission flood. For that reason, it didn't get as much recognition as [2843] NES Rockman 4 Burst Chaser × Air Sliding by magmapeach in 21:37.66 (comments, votes, rates). Yet the judge of the latter wasn't too impressed by that hack and decided that it should be obsoleted by a better one. From available stats one may argue that this hack is better, even though there's no perfectly clear indication. The main quality of this hack is that it looks like a completely different MM game: its levels are completely rewritten instead of being versions of the original game. It also relies on a variety of new gimmicks throughout the game instead of just 2. Accepting over [2843] NES Rockman 4 Burst Chaser × Air Sliding by magmapeach in 21:37.66.
Dacicus: Processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6665: Baddap1's NES Mega Man 4 Voyage in 39:46.94
Editor, Player (67)
Looks good. I could follow the gameplay easily because there wasn't an overload of glitches. The hacking involved seems impressive, though I found the reuse of bosses and enemies from other games somewhat boring. Also, there were too many Mega Man clones as bosses and enemies. Yes vote for entertainment, regardless.
Current Projects: TAS: Wizards & Warriors III.
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Forgot to reply until now. I like that this ROM hack has original music (how many hacks of any kind even have that?) and there were some neat things during the stages. Certainly left more of an impression on me than the last Mega Man hack Baddap1 did. Still it's difficult to beat Rockman 4 Minus Infinity which was pretty much the best Mega Man hack I've ever seen. Also, with all the Mega Man level hacks available right now, it's somewhat hard to stand out nowadays. I wish I could say the same about Mega Man X series though; the number of hacks of Mega Man X games can be counted on one hand.
Baddap1
He/Him
Experienced player (730)
Encode replacement with better quality, now available at 1080p 60FPS.
FractalFusion wrote:
I like that this ROM hack has original music (how many hacks of any kind even have that?) and there were some neat things during the stages. Certainly left more of an impression on me than the last Mega Man hack Baddap1 did. Still it's difficult to beat Rockman 4 Minus Infinity which was pretty much the best Mega Man hack I've ever seen. Also, with all the Mega Man level hacks available right now, it's somewhat hard to stand out nowadays.
Yeah, this romhack is really impressive adding things of another mega man games, the run itself is not as impressive as Rockman 4 Minus Infinity, but i wanted to try something different, something that people doesn't know very well, something that in terms of romhacking is really advanced and something that is not very exploded with speedrunning like Mega Man 4 Voyage. I hope people likes this romhack and get accepted.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1235)
I watched this along with the regular MM4 TAS and Burst Chaser × Air Sliding. Gameplay in all 3 is significantly different, in both hacks the levels are reworked. BCAS has 2 gimmicks that make it different, and they're used throughout the entire run. Voyage is so heavily redone that it looks like a completely different game (the patch is also twice bigger than BCAS). I'm not exactly sure how we compare entertainment between those 2 hacks. BCAS got really good feedback and great ratings, but the judge didn't like it and expected it to be obsoleted someday. This movie got little feedback. BCAS has got almost 5k downloads on romhacking.net since 2014, while Voyage has got 3k in a year. 2,860 hits on google for "Mega Man 4 Voyage", 13,500 for "Burst Chaser x Air Sliding". -infinity is the only hack that has more downloads than those 2 (~30k).
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
CoolHandMike
He/Him
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (635)
Impressive hack. Think this is definitely cool enough to publish. Good playing too.
discord: CoolHandMike#0352
Zakatos
He/Him
FractalFusion wrote:
I wish I could say the same about Mega Man X series though; the number of hacks of Mega Man X games can be counted on one hand.
I'm so looking forward MMX Corrupted and Maverick's Fury. BTW, I liked this hack. The reuse of many classic bosses was a better choice than some fortuit big bosses. I just can't understand how the Yellow Devil was put aside though.
The eyes of a machine are wonderful, but there's nothing like the the eyes of the heart – Old Cid, Cybercop
Experienced player (543)
If we look at BCAS, the most enjoyable thing is the high speed and the air sliding. This created many funny moves throughout the run. The level layouts, weapons and bosses attack patterns looking pretty much close to the original MM4 game. The special things about -infinity and Voyage is that they introduce new weapons much advanced attack patterns for bosses (like in Spirit of the Hackers hack of MM6), as well as completely different stage layouts, making them far more superior than BCAS.
I still learn more about English. https://www.youtube.com/user/McBobX100
I wrote:
Working is the best way to achieve goals in speedruning. Hardworking is a pain.
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
McBobX wrote:
If we look at BCAS, the most enjoyable thing is the high speed and the air sliding.
I just watched BCAS now, and actually that was the least enjoyable part of the run for me. The most enjoyable part of the run was the autoscroller. Did it combine two gimmicks or something? (Just from its name I thought it was a hack like that.) It just doesn't feel like Mega Man.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [4167] NES Mega Man 4 Voyage by Baddap1 in 39:46.94
Player (12)
Not a big deal, but it is a bit strange that the description of this movie showcases the Burst Chaser x Air Sliding movie that this very movie obsoletes. Like, was it obsoleted or not? :P
SmashManiac wrote:
Not a big deal, but it is a bit strange that the description of this movie showcases the Burst Chaser x Air Sliding movie that this very movie obsoletes. Like, was it obsoleted or not? :P
Considering the game this TAS is is the "Voyage" hack, probably not. Got a few days to spend reading posts? http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15532
"The guy was fatally injured and wants to be covered by God's tears (rain) before he dies. God is too busy to bother because it wastes frames." Frames 16:26
Site Admin, Skilled player (1235)
I fixed it yesterday.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.