1 2
14 15
Post subject: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
Former player
I figured I might as well make a topic for this game. It really pales in comparison to CotM and AoS, but It definately deserves a movie here. I might work on this after my last version of CotM. Theres a few nice time saving glitches in this game. Rapid forward dashing also seems to be the fastest way to travel. If I do this game I'm gonna go for the best ending fighting Dracula. The main problem is I need a solid route. This is where you guys come in hopefully. So far it's... Start > Use door glitch and grab Lizard Tail > Grab Vlad's ring earlier using Ice Fist trick > Fight Vampire Bat (?) > Head to Skeleton Cave and get double. Thats all I have so far. Although you can skip the Vampire Bat, you need to kill him eventually to trigger the lowering of the draw bridge. One of the relics is past the bridge, so It's necessary to kill him. (Not sure if I should kill him sooner or later..) I'm pretty sure all of Dracula's relics and Maxim's bracelet are necessary to get the good ending fighting Dracula. So if anyone has any ideas, route wise or gameplay wise that would be cool.
Working on: Command and Conquer PSX Nod Campaign
Active player (277)
I played this game today for the first time, so I don't know anything about it, but it's pretty fun.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Former player
As for Vampire Bat: If the exp helps you fight the Shield boss faster/helps you get to double jump faster, kill him early. If not, save him for later so that you can kill him in a few seconds with Wind+Cross. The test run you did before had a pretty solid route. Just try to find more door glitches like the one in the Skeleton Cave.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Former player
For those interested on a visual, grab my old test Here. It shows the basic route up until near the Skeleton Knight which is where the double jump is. I included everything you need to play(Besides the rom) it, including the emulator. I believe both Euro and U.S roms should work. I was thinking that the best time to fight the Bat would be probably after I get Vlad's ring since I go right around the boss in my test. Though I could get the ring later, but I think I would end up back tracking more. Comments would be appreciated.
You can do the door-glitch when getting the Lizard Tail much faster. When you enter the door immediatly dash back then back in again. In the crystal room with the big blue bomb throwers. You can easily jump over them without wasting mana. I can show you my run if you'd like, though I'm not aiming for the good ending.
Former player
Ahh, didn't know I could do that door glitch faster, thanks. I wouldn't mind seeing your run as it might be informative for me. Edit: I never managed to jump over those Blue Bombers..but I probably wasn't close enough.
http://hornqvist.ath.cx/~martin/castlevania-hod-hornqvist.vbm There's a few things I know i can improve. Like skipping the rolling skull, don't know how I could've missed that.
Former player
Watched It, not too bad .:) Although you know you can switch spell books without using the menu? Just hold L + R then down to cycle through them. About the rolling skull, you can just Ice Fist across, though you probably knew that. :)
Nice, didn't know that. Also, do you think it's faster to kill those "boomerang" throwing skeletons than to skip them?
Former player
It might be slower, but it's probably worth killing some enemys that are in the way. You might need some levels so your not doing pitiful damage against the bosses. Edit: BTW, which Subweapon/Book combo would you recommend for killing bosses the quickest? I always thought Wind book + Cross was the best.
Hmm, it's been a while since i played this game, but i remember to thunder book and the bible (the gradius shield) to be really powerful.
Player (65)
Wind + Sacred Fist is the most MP efficient form of damage for most bosses, especially in the last three battles. If used properly you can get two hits from each shot on both Maxim and Dracula's second form, and you might be able to get a third hit per shot on Dracula, I'm not sure. Wind + Cross might be better in terms of time, though, I don't know. Depending on the boss, Fire + Cross might be faster, as well as Lightning + Holy Water. I remember being impressed with some of the Knife's spells, but the only one I remember is the Wind one, which is just Richter's Knife crash from Dracula X. I seem to recall that the Fire spell can do major damage if you do the rotating pad thingie to get more fireballs. I don't recommend taking anything but the Cross to a boss fight, though. Once you run out of MP the cross has the best damage potential.
If life were an RPG, I'd be an NPC.
Former player
Well, I found a new glitch in this game. (Atleast I think it is.) If you go to a Gate that takes you to Castle A or B and equip the Floating Boots, It'll warp you to each Gate you've uncovered on your map. Simply descend to the bottom of the floor in the room when the boots are equipped. Watch the movie Here. I've been playing around and totally found ways to totally break the game. For example, go to the Clock Tower and talk to Death so you can use the Gates. Now go back to the Castle Entrance and go to the Gate that you normally need the Super Jump to reach. If you have the Ice Fist and the double jump you can make it up the platform with ease if you time it right. From there after you use the Gate you can grab the Lure key which is right below the Gate room. If that wasn't enough, go fight the Pike Master in the Gallery and get him to drop the Floating Boots. If you have the Crushing stone go back to the Entrance hall and go to the shaft that has the metal gate blocking your way. Destroy it, equip the Floating Boots so you can fly up that one place where you need the Super Jump. From the you can head all the way down and grab the Floodgate Key. For like all of this you need Maxim's Bracelet which is why this breaks the game so bad. I'll still need it for my run though to complete the game properly. Gah, this game is so confusing. I have no idea of what to do in what order. Edit: The Crushing Boots and Super Jump seem to be needed to get one of the relics. The one outside the castle to be exact. So It looks like I can't just use the Floating Boots instead...
The new glitch you think you've discovered, it's not a glitch. It's just a way to teleport between the gates, no boots required. The thing about getting the Lure Key early is the exact thing I'm planning to do, though I'm going back to the entrace gate after getting the double jump. I've updated my movie, it goes as far as to that gate. Get it here. If you wonder why I got the Soul Orb it's because I wanted to know how much damage I'm doing, this is just a test run after all.
Former player
Oh really? Doh, thought I had something discovered there. I plan on getting the Soul Orb whenever I start this. I will be manipulating every attack so it's a critical hit. You can't tell if it is or not if you can't see your damage. Well, unless you hack the game/emulator. Why go back to the entrance gate then BTW? You can't use it unless you talk to Death unless you want the Platinum Tip.
I go back because I want the tip early and to get the lure key right after i can use the gates. The critical hit part was intresting, do you think it's possible to manipulate every hit?
Former player
Yes, pretty sure because I remember getting more then one in a row before. Are you going to need the Crushing stone for your ending? If you do a critical hit with that charged to the max, it's a lot of damage. Combine it with something like Wind + Cross and any boss should die fast.
Yes I'm going to get the Crushing Stone, I need it to get the Floodgate Key.
Whoa, that resetting stuff looked pretty wierd :) Keep 'em coming!
http://www.megazpeed.com - THE site for the ultimate MegaMan Zero superplay movies.
Former player
I've been fooling around some more. I tried not using the flood gate key then heading to death and seeing if I could still fight him in the water. The boss door wouldn't even open when it's flooded. Oh well, it's not that practical anyways sence it took like 20 High Potions to even get to his door.
Updated run. Ends after getting the Lure Key.
Former player
Looks like a pretty solid route so far. Could you have gotten Vlad's Heart after you defeated the Merman Boss? It's pretty close, or are you going back later? Also did warping back to the Entrance not work after you talked to Death? Because you resetted. Plan on using the Crushing Stone against any bosses? A fully charged Stone should do around 100 damage. A lot more if you Critical.
I'm not planning on getting the heart, I really don't need it. Don't really know why the teleportating didn't work, now I'm not sure if it's worth getting the tip early since it doesn't matter if I visit the gate or not. I also totally forgot to kill Shadow before getting the Crushing Stone. And the Crushing Stone really isn't that useful. I'll do twice the damage if it's fully charged, but the charge time is too long. And if I use it instead of the Platinum Tip I'll do much less base damage.
Former player
Yeah, this is the only CV game I don't know well so sorry if my suggestions suck. I thought you needed all the relics to open up the floor to fight Maxim. Your probably right about the Crushing Stone..you could get off way more hits and do more damage using the Plat Tip. I think I won't do this game as I suck at making routes. It's way easier in CotM. Getting all the relics and knowing when to do a quick reset just makes it more complicated. I need to finish my non lag normal route of CotM anyways. Also do you plan on doing the best ending when you finish this? It would be more interesting, though more confusing as there is a ton of backtracking.
Active player (277)
I think your technique's getting better, Hornqvist. I just love that downward slide. Do you think it's possible to find the damage you do using the memory viewer so you can still manipulate critical hits without getting the Soul Orb? That would be great if you could.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
1 2
14 15