• Aim for fastest completion
  • Use of programming errors
  • Manipulation of luck
In this final installment of the famous Phantasy Star series, the protagonist, while out on a routine assignment, uncovers evidence pointing to a sinister threat to the entire solar system. One thing leads to another and he and the rest of his party eventually find themselves fighting the root of all evil. Such a quest would normally take at least ten hours, but with copious amounts of luck manipulation, it can be reduced to just under an hour and a half. Yes, yet another improvement. It had been a while since some people had found new ways to improve the game, namely escaping Igglanova and skipping the spaceship "docking" sequences. I finally decided to get back to it after the menu glitch run. After careful planning, here are the major changes
  • Igglanova: Once paralyzed, your team is able to escape! -1360 frames
But sadly, I had to catch up all these levels before the Juza fight. I fought slugs in the cavern leading to Kadary, which still put me at a -125 frames advantage over the old run. But then...
  • Juza: It lasted only 4 rounds. Rika was so strong that she withstood Juza's force slash. -1448 frames
  • Gy-Laguiah: Demi was able to survive a hit! -1537 frames
  • Zio: Even though Rika failed again, the fight was still luckier. -1580 frames
  • Chaos Sorcerer: While Rika couldn't kill him on the first try, skipping the docking meant a net improvement. -1715 frames
  • DF I: Yet more luck (and less space docking). -1863 frames
  • Xe-La-Thul: I couldn't replicate their attack-only pattern, but I still got luckier. -2475 frames
  • Lashiec: I got luckier toward the end. -2511 frames
  • DF II: I skipped casting shift on Rika and made other improvements. -2728 frames
  • DF III: Better manipulation by killing characters earlier. -3284 frames
  • Tower of Strength: always hard to manipulate because of Chaz, but I still improved -3333 frames
  • Tower of Courage: manipulated killing characters earlier. -3504 frames
  • PD 1: I skipped casting saner since it would have been cancelled anyway. -3636 frames at the start of the fight
  • PD 2: I got lucky. -3995 frames at the start of the phase
  • PD 3: My luck ran short, and it kept spamming megid. From -4012 frames at the start of the phase to -3669 frames when PD3 started exploding (-575 from the previously cancelled test run)
Suggested frame: 10318, escaping Igglanova
Possible improvement: better luck overall in fights, especially PD and xe-a-thul

ThunderAxe31: Judging.
ThunderAxe31: Accepting as improvement over the current publication.
feos: Pub.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6721: janus's Genesis Phantasy Star IV in 1:25:29.44
any encode ?
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Nice run. I don't know this game well enough to really notice the improvements, but I'm impressed how many times you have improved this over the years.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [4184] Genesis Phantasy Star IV by janus in 1:25:29.44