Submission Text Full Submission Page
Puyo Pop Fever is the fifth main installment of the popular in Japan puzzle series. The runner does the Endless Fever for the maximum score possible.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: BizHawk 2.3.2 with mGBA core
  • Aims for Maximum Score
  • Luck Manipulation?
  • Uses Easy Level
  • Genre: Puzzle

Comments

The Endless Fever is what it is. An endless mode where you try to get a high score before time runs out. The maximum score is achieved before the runner tops out.

Memory: Claiming for judging
Memory: Optimization is... questionable. No luck manipulation is actually present in this TAS, the only way to manipulate luck is during menus. As such responses such as this reek of low effort. There isn't any proven suboptimal segments but lack of effort is frowned upon.
The author aims to hit a score cap, which is not considered full completion and therefore isn't Vaultable. It also chooses the easiest difficulty when a higher difficulty would likely make it a bit more involved since it would introduce additional puyo colors.
Feedback wasn't great. A lot of the feedback was under the assumption that the author used luck manipulation and given that it doesn't, this TAS is even less impressive. As such I cannot consider this TAS for moons, and since it is also not Vaultable, has nowhere to go.
Rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6732: MarbleousDave's GBA Puyo Pop Fever "Endless Fever" in 09:02.88
Player (108)
First thing to note: the videos are the English version & the Japanese version, for anyone who was wondering. As far as the game play, I have questions/comments. The goal, it seems, is effectively to not let the time run out, so you have to set off a chain fast enough to keep the timer going. At the end, the timer has lots of extra time. So strategically, it would make sense to me that there should have been chains that were extended that weren't. Extending lets you go up in chain length farther during the opening so you can get to 15 chains faster, and after you hit the 15 chain spawn cap, you can still go up in length to gain more points. I'm not sure what in this run really required tool assistance other than the luck.
GJTASer2018
He/Him
CaneofPacci wrote:
I'm not sure what in this run really required tool assistance other than the luck.
I agree with this assessment, but the bigger objection I have is the use of Easy mode. If this was done on Hard mode this would be ten times more impressive than simply trying to manipulate the right drops to trigger big combos over and over again.
c-square wrote:
Yes, standard runs are needed and very appreciated here too
Dylon Stejakoski wrote:
Me and the boys starting over our games of choice for the infinityieth time in a row because of just-found optimizations
^ Why I don't have any submissions despite being on the forums for years now...
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
The European version was used to create the TAS. The TAS syncs on the Japanese version as well.
CoolHandMike
He/Him
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (635)
Is 15 the highest chain possible? With only one or two drops getting those huge chains is impressive. Although some I noticed did not always reach 15 chain. Also can the drops be manipulated more?
discord: CoolHandMike#0352
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
I did a TAS on normal, but it only got to 70 million points. I could get a 16-chain but I have to be mindful of my placements.
Memory
She/Her
Site Admin, Skilled player (1522)
There really doesn't appear to be any sort of luck manipulation, the puyos seem to be in a set order regardless of what you do midgame. EDIT: It seems that waiting on the menu doesn't change anything either, I think this game mode uses entirely preset configurations. Scratch that last part, from playing real time I got a different puyo order. Same configuration of the first puzzle though. EDIT2: It also appears difficulty changes the colors of the preset puyos and the puyos that appear further down the line. Easy is 3 color puyo and Hard is 5. Not sure if normal is 4 color, haven't tested beyond the first puzzle.
[16:36:31] <Mothrayas> I have to say this argument about robot drug usage is a lot more fun than whatever else we have been doing in the past two+ hours
[16:08:10] <BenLubar> a TAS is just the limit of a segmented speedrun as the segment length approaches zero
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... minty!
CoolHandMike wrote:
Is 15 the highest chain possible?
The highest chain you can achieve is a 19-chain, by using an ability that debuted in Puyo Puyo Tsu where you can over-stack any column (besides the third one from the left). You can also rotate Puyo sandwiched between 2 columns. Link to video Link to video 4 colors is the standard for competitive play. And yes, Normal is 4 colors. 5 colors is too difficult to work with and very messy, but high chains from it can be impressive. Also, the higher difficulties start off at later levels, so I assume the intent was to score as high as possible from the earliest level.
I like Doraemon