(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
And here's the clock stop version.
  • Emulator: Bizhawk 2.3.1
  • Aims for in-game time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Does not forgo a time saving glitch
  • Manipulates luck
I'd originally planned to include the four clock stop fights as branches in the non-cs submission because of how similar the runs were. Turns out you can't actually submit tasproj files, so that didn't happen. I basically just pasted those branches into the full run and then spent the whole night resyncing everything.
Because of the nature of the clock stop glitch, the in-game time improvements are very low -- only 1.34 seconds. The real time savings are much larger, totalling 00:16.24 seconds over adelikat's old run.
For details on how the other ten fights have changed since then, see the currently published TAS or the current submission.

The Clock-Stop Fights

• Don Flamenco I: 11.97
    • Unchanged from the previous strat. The only other option in such a short fight is to get a second star while the clock is stopped and use it in phase 2. This would get a time of 12.00.
  • Soda Popinski: 31.48 (was 31.82)
    • It's possible to cancel Soda's first hook sooner with a misdirected gutter. This accounts for all the in-game time saved.
    • In phases 1 and 2, everything between stopping the clock and knocking Soda down has been reworked. The key change is using simultaneous hits so Mac takes damage but only loses one heart. In total, the new phases save 112 frames over the old submission.
  • Don Flamenco II: 44.48
    • Only one frame of game time is saved, and it's not enough to change the final time.
    • Using stars throughout the fight saves a substantial amount of real time over the old submission -- 512 frames! Normally a star punch will unfreeze the clock after it lands, but a simultaneous hit with a star will keep it stopped.
    • Don gets up with his middle refill in phase 2. This gives him 8 more HP, but he can now get up on 3 instead of 8. Another simultaneous hit into his first punch takes off all of this extra health.
    • Once Mac gets up the second time, there's no way to squeeze in any more stars. If I were to try, he'd dodge the final star punch in phase 3 unless I delayed it.
  • Super Macho Man: 34.82 (was 35.82)
    • It's just barely possible to make the next second by cancelling all of Macho's hooks with gutters. In fact it only works with right guts -- even though the blocking animation for rights is one frame longer, they can be thrown two frames sooner. This doesn't apply to macho's last two uppercuts, since the delay for those is too short to gain any advantage.
    • The stun glitch in phase 2 isn't just for show. Getting clock stop this way actually saves a few frames while cancelling Macho's next few attacks.
    • In phase 3, I can afford to fit in a star punch before Macho starts spinning. Because he locks the timer to the next second, this doesn't actually cost any game time. Most of the 352 frames saved come from this.

Memory: Claiming for judging
Memory: So this is an interesting submission. Now optimization appears very good for the chosen goal. However, said goal is the center of controversy.
So for a little bit of background, Mike Tyson's Punch Out has a mechanic where certain actions will briefly stop the ingame timer. This is pretty much unavoidable during the course of normal gameplay and is also taken advantage of in the other submission. However, there is also a glitch where in certain circumstances you can prevent the ingame timer from resuming. This is called the clockstop glitch. Various actions will allow the ingame timer to resume, but most of them can be avoided. However, an opponent getting knocked down and getting back up will resume the timer and this is largely unavoidable. Additionally, this will not prevent the timer from starting at the beginning of future matches.
The audience reception was much worse compared to the submission that doesn't use this glitch. I also find it a tad less entertaining due to how drawn out some fights can be. Additionally, this movie is very similar to the other submission, since only 4 fights differ. As such, this movie isn't suitable for moons.
What makes this submission interesting is that several people have made the argument that this is true vault fastest completion. This is how one obtains the lowest ingame time for the game, and we don't really have rules regarding similarity of branches for Vault, the reason this branch was previously rejected.
However, I felt the question to ask about this was… is this a good situation in which one should rely on an ingame timer? When are ingame timers meaningful and useful?
The obvious answer to the latter is the Sonic scenario. In the old 2D sonic games if you optimize for ingame you want to trigger the goal post, or capsule or whatever as fast as possible. Gameplay is optimized to be as fast as possible. If one aims for real time, the time bonus countdown becomes a problem. Since the time bonus counts down slowly, it might be beneficial to wait a little before triggering the end of the stage to avoid a longer time bonus. This is obviously rather dull and arguably caps optimization strategies and we don’t want that.
This game has a similar problem where if one were to aim for real time, one would encounter situations where they have to wait. The knockdown countdowns aren’t counted on the ingame timer, so it would be preferable to get K.O.s where possible instead of T.K.O.s (3 knockdowns in a single round). K.O.s tend to be hidden developer easter eggs rather than requiring any sort of creative thinking. As such they are largely more trivial than T.K.O. strategies. The most notorious example is the second Piston Honda fight. In that fight there is an attack rush he performs at 1 minute which if you counter is an instant K.O., regardless of his HP. In a real time focused run you’d aim for that KO and simply wait until it is performed. In an ingame time focused run, you aim for a TKO long before the 1 minute mark and is significantly more technical.
I’d argue that ingame timers are meaningful and useful when they cover gameplay, result in faster, shorter gameplay, and generally somehow represent the time of the run.
So when aren’t ingame timers meaningful and useful? To answer that question, I came up with a series of examples, starting from most extreme and moving to less extreme.
The most extreme example is arbitrary code execution (ACE). If a game has ACE, is ingame time meaningful? With ACE you should have control over values such as an ingame timer. You could easily set the ingame timer to 0:00. Heck you could set it to -9:99. Or you could maybe even set it to T:AS. Because you have such a high level of control over the game, ingame time no longer represents time in any meaningful fashion and just happens to be some number the game displays. This is similar to how we treat ACE in regards to full completion. Ultimately all of the optimization would be for real time and so having ingame time as a primary goal seems rather redundant.
Now a less extreme example, but still rather extreme. So take this game and the clock stop glitch. However, instead of the clock resuming on the opponent getting knocked down, or at the start of a new match, it just never resumes for the rest of the game. In such a scenario, the majority of fights would have an ingame time of 0:00. The majority of the game would have to be optimized for real time, despite having a “primary” goal of ingame time. Does ingame time really represent time of the run in this circumstance? I don’t think so.
Lets say there were ways of clock stopping every fight. Some fights can get rather long, I’d think there’d be much of the game covered by RTA at this point and ingame time would be sorta redundant.
And then we have this submission right here. It’s only used in 4 fights, and only in 3 of those 4 fights is the difference in gameplay significantly big. There is a fairly limited amount of gameplay covered by real time but not by ingame time.
In my opinion, the only reason this seems questionable is because the gains are relatively small. Such a glitch could easily make ingame time just so obviously meaningless if one or two things were different. As such I cannot really see ingame time as adequately representing time in this submission.
The obvious solution is for the game as a whole to fallback to real time, but for reasons mentioned prior, that isn’t exactly ideal either. The only sensible solution therefore becomes to ban the glitch, since it subverts the purpose of the ingame-timer with regards to this game. The other submission becomes preferable as a result.
For purposes of a sort of Vault policy, I believe we might only allow aiming for ingame time if the resulting movie has shorter gameplay as opposed to things like menus or cutscenes that might add to the real time. However this isn’t set in stone currently and might be pending additional discussion.
Rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Alyosha
He/Him
Editor, Expert player (3522)
Wow that's a big improvement, nice work! Once again voting yes, this is an interesting category.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Voting Yes, despite the fact it won't affect the rejection.
TASing is like making a film: only the best takes are shown in the final movie.
Player (50)
Voting yes. I can't wait until this run's publication (assuming that happens).
DJ Incendration Believe in Michael Girard and every speedrunner and TASer!
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
Voting yes, obviously. I've always thought this was a worthy branch for this game.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3967)
as I said in the previous submission, I dont think this category feels any different to the published movie other than the fact that IGT is shorter but real time is longer. I'm voting no for entertainment.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Experienced player (994)
I only noticed the clock-stop glitch happening on one of the fights (Don Flamenco), and only then because I had time to look around while Mac was down. The point being that the glitch has no noticeable effect on game play (except for it being longer). There is no new content that this glitch showcases. And even if there was, it'd still be less than 50% different from the regular run at 4 out of 13 fights. It was a little entertaining watching Mac toy with his opponents a bit more.
Player (26)
EZGames69 wrote:
as I said in the previous submission, I dont think this category feels any different to the published movie other than the fact that IGT is shorter but real time is longer. I'm voting no for entertainment.
I agree. This is basically in-game time vs real time, and as far as I can tell we haven't had separate branches for those since the IGT and RT branches for Metroid 2 got merged.
Memory
She/Her
Site Admin, Skilled player (1523)
Radiant wrote:
EZGames69 wrote:
I agree. This is basically in-game time vs real time, and as far as I can tell we haven't had separate branches for those since the IGT and RT branches for Metroid 2 got merged.
Nope. They both explicitly aim for ingame time. It's just one aims to manipulate the ingame time in a specific method that the other one bans.
[16:36:31] <Mothrayas> I have to say this argument about robot drug usage is a lot more fun than whatever else we have been doing in the past two+ hours
[16:08:10] <BenLubar> a TAS is just the limit of a segmented speedrun as the segment length approaches zero
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Memory wrote:
They both explicitly aim for ingame time. It's just one aims to manipulate the ingame time in a specific method that the other one bans.
Reminds me of this submission that I had to reject. Glitching in-game time to artificially be lower is like glitching the completion counter in full completion movies. Aiming for in-game time is meant to make speedrunning that game more fair. For example in Sonic we discard the tally, because if we counted it, people would simply find the "perfect" balance between actual level times and tally times, removing the need to optimize the levels further and further. In situations when in-game time doesn't help to have fair optimization competition, it doesn't make sense to rely on.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3967)
I agree with this. IGT is really only useful when aiming for real time gets real muddy (like with Sonic).
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Memory
She/Her
Does gameplay during clock stopped segments especially matter? Obviously you need to setup for the next phase of the fight if you have to knock them down and have them get back up, but could one theoretically drag this period out indefinitely? EDIT: Side note, real time is considered inferior for this game as it would mean you would aim for easy KOs on a number of fights instead of TKOs since it'd involve Mario doing fewer counts. Notably Honda 2 you'd simply wait for the 1 minute mark and punch him once for an easy KO, and would be a significantly more trivial strategy.
[16:36:31] <Mothrayas> I have to say this argument about robot drug usage is a lot more fun than whatever else we have been doing in the past two+ hours
[16:08:10] <BenLubar> a TAS is just the limit of a segmented speedrun as the segment length approaches zero
Active player (374)
Memory wrote:
Does gameplay during clock stopped segments especially matter? Obviously you need to setup for the next phase of the fight if you have to knock them down and have them get back up, but could one theoretically drag this period out indefinitely?
As long as you're set up for the next phase, you can drag things out for as long as you want. For Don Flamenco 1 it's especially easy; no matter how long you take, he'll never attack unless you punch him again. You could take a nap or get something to eat or whatever, and he'll just stand there the whole time. That said, I'm still aiming for real time as a secondary goal here, and haven't lengthened the movie beyond what the optimal clock stop times require. Actually, even in the other run, it's possible to extend the real time indefinitely without changing the total in-game time. Super Macho Man's super spin punches naturally freeze the clock until he's done spinning, but there's no upper limit on how many times he can spin. (Or you can just stay on the pre-fight screen for a while.)
adelikat
He/Him
Yeah, I think McHazard brings up points I want to make here to try to defend this branch. Both runs aim for in-game and realtime as a secondary. In both games you can extend the clock indefintely. Also both exploit stopping the clock. You can get a second slower in super macho man while still being the exact number of frames due to how the clock stopping for the spin punch works. Also stun punches stop the clock for a few frames, and for star punches as well. This fact comes into play when deciding move order. For instance, my first MTPO publication improved Piston Honda I by switching the punch order on 2 of the phases to maximize the amount of time the clock spent stopped. My point is that the "default" branch we've picked is a messy one. It aims for in-game time, but extends real time to achieve this. AND it exploits the nuances and quirks of the clock. But it avoids a particular exploitation of the clock. This is an uncharacteristically nuanced goal choice for TASVideos, where we have struggled to agree on such "arbitrary" goal types. I think it has gone largely unquestioned due to ignorance of the game and these details. In contrast the cs glitch branch is completely non-subjective. It gets the lowest possible in-game time by any means necessary, the typical any% goals we like having represented. I undoubtedly think the current published branch is the best choice of the two if we are limited to 1. But I think cs glitch has merit since it is a more traditional TAS goal with less decisions of what is or isn't allowed. It also shows more aspects to the game and more "real time" strategies, even if it is for only a few fighters, such as exploiting simultaneous hits to save time.
Skilled player (1706)
As a person who never played this game, it's rather hard to appreciate this compared to the other movie.
Senior Moderator
Our of curiosity, which pair of runs would be the most different between each other in terms of gameplay: 1) non-clock-stop vs. clock-stop, 2) non-clock-stop vs. real-time, or 3) clock-stop vs. real-time? This could help put things into perspective (then again it could also complicate them, but it would be interesting to know regardless).
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
adelikat
He/Him
I think non-clock-stop vs real-time is the easy answer. If x is the difference between non-clock-stop and realtime, then clock stop, which extends real time, in every fights would be x+y. As for real-time, I don't know off hand all the differences offhand. The striking differences would be: 1) Piston Honda II where you trade a very non-trivial strategy for a cheap 1 hit KO at 1 minute that anyone can do. 2) Mr. Sandman, no longer being knockdown on purpose to save clock time. I think there would also several other fights where strategies would change slightly, all of which would increase the clock time to save some frames.
Memory
She/Her
The issue with this glitch is that it significantly decreases the amount of gameplay covered by the ingame timer and forces much more of the run to be optimized by real time. A timing method should cover basically all relevant gameplay. If a significant amount of gameplay is not covered by an ingame timer, said ingame timer generally doesn't make sense as a primary speedrun timing metric. Yes you're optimizing it, but it no longer truly represents time. If you have to time significant portions of gameplay by real time anyways, you might as well just aim for pure real time. However, given that real time isn't preferred in this game either due to things like Honda 2, avoiding the glitch seems to be the smartest idea and the votes reflect this. Any additional thoughts?
ViGadeomes
He/Him
Judge, Active player (303)
Hum, I'm pretty sure that it won't be agreed by a lot of people but if we consider somehow this as a full completion category ? We need to look further if we count lowest time or points (for a maximum score TAS) on each fights but this is a possibility, I don't have any knowledge on this game but it seems like this TAS earns more points than the any%, after, i don't know if it's only due to the glitch and if the score could be improved.
Memory
She/Her
More points can be obtained. With Clock Stop it's infinite.
ViGadeomes
He/Him
Then, could it be maximized to a point that there is no new points to obtain ? This movie would have to be rejected but If a maximum score could be possible, at least there would be a TAS of this game which uses this glitch and both side could agree with it.
Memory
She/Her
ViGadeomes wrote:
Then, could it be maximized to a point that there is no new points to obtain ?
Hitting the cap on a counter doesn't count as full completion.
ViGadeomes
He/Him
It's not what I meant, maximizing the score without hitting the cap if this cap is reachable. If the score can be increased indefinitively, then I have no other ideas.
Memory
She/Her
With clock stop, score can be obtained indefinitely iirc.
adelikat
He/Him
on Soda Popinski, there is a way to max out the score counter using the clock stopping glitch. It takes a LONG time but it can be done. Most of the others fights have ways of increasing the max score using cs, but not max it out. Anyway, I think cs glitch being a "full completion" is an interesting idea but it simply doesn't work.