This is an improvement of 1822 frames over the published movie.
Note that I changed the rerecords count to 0 as I started from the old movie file and there was a lot of copy-paste so it was highly inaccurate.
- Emulator used : Bizhawk 1.11.9 (I had to use the same version as the previous TAS as I copied the whole beginning of it)
- Heavy luck manipulation
- Takes damage to save time
- Uses death to save time
There is no differences in term of tricks between this one and the published TAS, so you can refer to the old submission for most of the tricks used.
The beginning up to Gargan Roo is actually exactly the same. In the previous one, my dialog script made me talk to Doctor Tot twice there. This is now fixed and saved 30ish frames.
Then everything is identical until the Card Tournament. Better Tetra Master RNG saved another 30ish frames.
In Alexandria under attack, the RNG wouldn't sync in most battles, so I had to redo them, but it barely made any differences.
When Zidane wakes up in Lindblum, I finally TASed the proper way and fixed the mistake present in all my old TASes. Choosing to ask "Where is Dagger ?" saves a big amount of time (a bit more than 500 frames). This was the reason behind redoing the TAS.
After that the RNG is now completely different so everything has to be redone. The strategies, though, are mostly identical. Because of different RNGs I win time here, lose time there, not much can be done, except going for the fastest fight with what we've got.
Next big difference is the Ark fight. Ending it with only one attack from Ark save another chunk of time. (around 1000 frames ahead at this point)
The fight against Earth Guardian is ended by killing him instead of eating him. The timesave though is minimal due to the time spent manipulating a Critical.
The final big timesave come from the fights against Silver Dragon and Garland due to way better RNG allowing for more Criticals and Garland to only act once.

ThunderAxe31: Judging.
ThunderAxe31: Accepting as improvement over the current publication.
Spikestuff will be missed after Publishing this.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6756: Lil_Gecko's PSX Final Fantasy IX in 7:58:17.77
Player (50)
Nice job, yes vote. I'm surprised an 8:04 obsoletes a 7:37 though.
DJ Incendration Believe in Michael Girard and every speedrunner and TASer!
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3965)
DJ Incendration wrote:
Different emulation.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
DJ Incendration wrote:
Cause one was done on an inaccurate emulator called PSXjin. Shouldn't be "surprising" to anyone. Claiming for Pubs... cause I hate myself.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Player (50)
Nice work, good improvement!
Player (50)
Shouldn't it be the other way around, though? An 8:04 leading to 7:37? Isn't that how improvements work?
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3965)
PSXjin has faster loads and not as long of a boot up, not to mention it runs at a faster framerate compared to BizHawk. But the thing to note is IT IS NOT ACCURATE EMULATION. BizHawk is more accurate, and has longer loading, which is why it’s slower. The other thing to note is why not do this movie on PSXjin? Well that’s because the emulator is not acceptable anymore due to bad emulation (not to mention publication issues from time to time).
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
You seem to be having issues reading the words inaccurate emulator. Also this is the previous movie referenced by the author: [3817] PSX Final Fantasy IX by Lil_Gecko in 7:58:48.17 A BizHawk TAS. This TAS is ~10 minutes faster than trash (PSXjin) when loads are removed.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Player (50)
That clears it up, thank you.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [4305] PSX Final Fantasy IX by Lil_Gecko in 7:58:17.77
On the submission page, it says 7:58:17:77 obsolete the 8h04m tas. But this page claims 8h03m. Whats up with that?
Judge, Skilled player (1278)
InfamousKnight wrote:
On the submission page, it says 7:58:17:77 obsolete the 8h04m tas. But this page claims 8h03m. Whats up with that?
The PSX framerate constant used by movie parser was changed after that this movie was submitted, but before that it was published. The timing displayed in the publication page is correct. A site administrator should be able to fix the timer displayed for the submission page. Edit: I was reminded that this movie was made with a very old BizHawk version, so in the end the timing is still technically incorrect. Oh well, if we think about it, it's incorrect anyway since we don't use cycle count for calculating the movie length of PSX movies.
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: thunderaxe31 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"