Post subject: Dream Team Contest 9 - Results are out!
Editor, Player (67)
It's time for another Dream Team Contest! I will be your host. If the term is new to you, this is a contest in which teams of players have a limited amount of time to complete a TAS of a given game. The winning team will be engraved in Dream Team Contest history. Rules
  • You may sign up as a 3-4 person team or request to be assigned to a team. You cannot be in more than one team, and you cannot be listed in one team multiple times. Each person in a team must confirm participation via a post in this thread. Optionally, you may provide a team name and logo. Team members cannot be changed after the contest begins, but you can update the team name and logo up to 2 weeks after the contest start.
  • Team sign-ups will end on Friday 2020/08/28 at 23:59 UTC.
  • The game will be revealed on Saturday 2020/08/29 at 07:00 UTC, and the contest will start.
  • The teams must provide their movie file to dreamteamcontest9@mail.com (note that it's not Gmail) before the deadline established below. Improvements of the run can be submitted any time before the deadline; the deadline can be extended if all teams agree.
  • In the event that Arbitrary Code Execution/Memory Corruption/SRAM Glitch/Game End Glitch/Wrong Warp Glitch is discovered, judging will be performed separately for movies that do and do not exploit such a glitch.
  • The team that provides the movie file that completes the game most quickly (input end) from power-on to credits wins.
  • The movie should sync on BizHawk 2.4.0, but you may use whatever version you want to create it.
  • The winning team will submit its movie to TASVideos, preferably with any improvements discovered by other teams, and any additional contributors will be added to the author list.
  • All submissions must also abide by TASVideos rules.
Game Info Someone on IRC complained in 2019 about newer gaming systems being neglected in the Dream Team Contest. It's time to change that. I couldn't make up my mind about which game to choose, however, so the participants will be able to vote from a list of 3 candidates. Here is the information you need about the options:
  • Option 1: PSX 3-D platformer. Estimated length 15-20 minutes.
  • Option 2: Sega Saturn 3-D platformer. Estimated length 25-30 minutes.
  • Option 3: Other 2-D platformer. Estimated length 8-15 minutes. In case people think 3-D games might be too difficult for the contest or something. This run will require you to control 2 players at once. This game is not on any system that has been used in a DTC previously.
Due to the differences in the games, the contest deadline will be:
  • Saturday 2020/10/31 at 00:00 UTC for options 1 and 2.
  • Saturday 2020/10/03 at 00:00 UTC for option 3.
Voting Contest participants may vote for their game choice after being assigned to a team. Each participant votes individually, but feel free to discuss preferences within your teams. Please PM me your choice before the sign-up deadline. If there is a tie, then I will decide the game in some way (maybe streaming something and using that game's RNG). Here are the current sign-ups. Note that individual players have until Friday 2020/08/28 at 23:59 UTC to decide or change their team; if they don't, they will be randomly shuffled into 4-person teams. If the player amount is not divisible by 4, they will be shuffled into 2- or 3-person teams. If there is only one individual, existing teams with 3 players will be asked if they'd be willing to accept the individual into their team. Full Teams Team 1: Samsara, Memory, GoddessMaria, fsvgm777 - "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Frames" - Logo Team 2: EZGames69, Cyorter, Jules, Bloopiero - "LAZY TOWN" - Logo Team 3: Mittenz, g0goTBC, The8bitbeast, WarHippy - "🐻🐦" Team 4: ThunderAxe31, RetroEdit, ViGadeomes, DrD2k9 Team 5: Really_Tall, Malleoz, TASPlasma, PerilousPeanut Team 6: Invariel, KiwiCracker, CoolHandMike, arukAdo - "Team 5" - Logo Partial Teams Individual players
The sign-up and voting period has ended. The remaining individual players have been assigned to Team 6. Remember that teams can submit name and logo updates for the next 2 weeks. Results Option 2: 0 votes. The game was Ninpen Manmaru. (Contest subtitle: Pacifist) Option 1: 1 vote. The game was Floating Runner: Quest for the 7 Crystals. (Contest subtitle: Swarmed) Option 3: 16 votes via PM, 6 votes in thread. The game will be revealed at the appointed time. Other games I had considered for the contest include: Blast Corps (Contest subtitle: Nuclear) Duck Dodgers Starring: Daffy Duck (Contest subtitle: Spaceman) The Lion King: Simba's Mighty Adventure (Contest subtitle: Scarred) While you all await the game reveal, please review some tips from previous contests:
  • Divide the tasks. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Assign your team members to work on different jobs in order to improve efficiency. This is crucial.
  • Keep in contact. Use a private and secure chat group of your choice to talk with your teammates about your progress, discoveries, and ideas and to share your files.
  • Play it a lot first. Game mechanics are easier to understand by playing the game casually, with some cheating if necessary. Start TASing when you feel that you know enough.
  • Take note of everything. Any trick or glitch may be useful in one way or another, even if it does not seem so initially. Also remember that your discoveries may be useful after the contest.
  • Try anything. Even after you've finished TASing the game, use the remaining time to try and improve the run. A sudden discovery can turn the tide of the contest.
  • Don't procrastinate. You may make mistakes, but you have the ability to fix those mistakes if you give yourself the time to do so.
  • Don't give up. There is always the chance for motivation to plummet. Try to keep at it even if you hit a roadblock.

The game Bugz is an original 2-D platform game for the Uzebox. The goal is to guide one or two adventurers through 21 levels, collecting all of the cookies in each level (perhaps the adventurers are related to Cookie Monster?). Obstacles are standard for platform games and include death pits, fire, and enemies--bugs, in this case. The game's developer has a full playthrough of the 1-player mode on YouTube. Your goal in this Dream Team Contest is to complete all 21 levels in the P1 VS P2 mode. This mode is different from the standard 2-player mode in one key mechanic that I believe allows for the routing curse to strike more interesting route options. The button combination allowing you to skip around levels is allowed only for a run aiming for Arbitrary Code Execution/Memory Corruption/SRAM Glitch/Game End Glitch/Wrong Warp Glitch not allowed (see here). In the event that two or more runs tie for first place based on time, the combined final score (P1 score + P2 score on the trophy screen) will be used as a secondary determinant of rank; the higher score will have a higher ranking. I found one WIP from several years ago; note that it uses the standard 2-player mode rather than the versus mode. Please use the ROM in the UZE format from here to create the TAS. It should have the following properties:
   Size: 58094 bytes
 CRC-32: 22c1bbe4
    MD5: b62117e7c6448e266ce9f7f8d46def5a
  SHA-1: d8789a9b671340c57713cf434a4b92d8e0865862
SHA-256: 5f288cd9a1c4e1e7cb5f172fa5393b041f3016cab3a0c39c164f9abef43b39f6
Remember, the contest ends on Saturday 2020/10/03 at 00:00 UTC. That is slightly under 5 weeks from now. I wish you all the best of luck and much fun. Let the contest hereby begin!
The result The contest is over. Here are the rankings: #6: Team 4 in 3:03.316 - movie file - YouTube encode #5: Team 6 "Team 5" in 2:57.533 - movie file - YouTube encode #4: Team 2 "LAZY TOWN" in 2:55.466 - movie file - YouTube encode #3: Team 1 "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Frames" in 2:54.650 - movie file - YouTube encode #2: Team 5 in 2:47.366 - movie file - YouTube encode #1: Team 3 "🐻🐦" in 2:46.933 - movie file - YouTube encode Thank you to everyone that participated and a special congratulations to Team 3 "🐻🐦" for winning!
Current Projects: TAS: Wizards & Warriors III.
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2120)
HI YES I AM INTERESTED EDIT: Leaning toward Option 3 at the moment, good length for the game and I like the idea of a 2p DTC run. 25 minute Saturn sounds pretty harsh, 15 minute PSX seems okay too as long as the 3D is accessible (i.e, no analog stick support).
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Memory
She/Her
Site Admin, Skilled player (1522)
I'm also interested (I have a team in mind but need to confirm all the members), but I feel Option 2 is just way too long for a contest like this.
[16:36:31] <Mothrayas> I have to say this argument about robot drug usage is a lot more fun than whatever else we have been doing in the past two+ hours
[16:08:10] <BenLubar> a TAS is just the limit of a segmented speedrun as the segment length approaches zero
Invariel
He/Him
Editor, Site Developer, Player (169)
Sure, I'll sign up for this.
I am still the wizard that did it. "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -- Satoru Iwata <scrimpy> at least I now know where every map, energy and save room in this game is
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3963)
I also want to sign up, potentially start a team with Cyorter. Option 3 is probably the better choice imo.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Judge, Skilled player (1278)
I'm absolutely signing in!
my personal page - my YouTube channel - my GitHub - my Discord: thunderaxe31 <Masterjun> if you look at the "NES" in a weird angle, it actually clearly says "GBA"
Bloopiero
Any
Active player (350)
I will participate. Yes. (and I vote option 3)
Whale eat again
DrD2k9
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Expert player (2056)
I'm in. Even though I didn't like last years game, I tend to find these contests interesting to be a part of.
RetroEdit
Any
Editor, Reviewer, Player (165)
I'd love to participate. I also like option 3 over the other two.
Editor, Active player (264)
I'd also like to participate! (I don't have any preference regarding the games.)
CoolHandMike
He/Him
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (635)
Sure I'll participate. Put me somewhere.
discord: CoolHandMike#0352
Memory
She/Her
Signing up with Samsara, GoddessMaria, and fsvgm777.
[16:36:31] <Mothrayas> I have to say this argument about robot drug usage is a lot more fun than whatever else we have been doing in the past two+ hours
[16:08:10] <BenLubar> a TAS is just the limit of a segmented speedrun as the segment length approaches zero
Jules
Any
Skilled player (1144)
I'll join.EZGames69 has invited me to be on his team, so I guess I'll roll with that.
Mittenz
He/Him
Active player (406)
o/ I'm game.
Samsara
She/They
Memory wrote:
Confirming!
warmCabin wrote:
Editor, Player (67)
First post updated with participants mentioned to date. Again, all team members should post confirmation in the thread.
Current Projects: TAS: Wizards & Warriors III.
GoddessMaria
She/Her
Reviewer, Experienced player (848)
Samsara wrote:
Memory wrote:
Confirming!
Also confirming!
Current projects: failing at life
Cyorter
He/Him
Editor, Player (236)
This so soon? Well, let's warm up! Nah jk, confirming sign while joining with EZGames69 and Jules! Edit: almost forgot, option 3 of course
EZGames69
He/They
Cyorter wrote:
This so soon? Well, let's warm up! Nah jk, confirming sign while joining with EZGames69 and Jules!
confirming both Cyorter and Jules
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
GoddessMaria wrote:
Samsara wrote:
Memory wrote:
Confirming!
Also confirming!
Confirming as well!
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
Memory
She/Her
Team name is "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Frames".
Samsara
She/They
We're also pre-emptively signing up for DTC10 as "Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit".
warmCabin wrote:
Bloopiero
Any
Active player (350)
I'll be joining the team with EZGames, Cyorter, and Jules.
Whale eat again
EZGames69
He/They
Confirming Bloop is joining
Cyorter
He/Him
Editor, Player (236)
EZGames69 wrote:
Confirming Bloop is joining
Confirming too