This is an improvement of 3682 frames (3287 lag) over the published movie (1612M)
I could go on and on for hours to explain the things I've discovered while making this run(s), I'm not sure it would be very interesting or that I can remember everything but I've used all at my disposal and research on the grey cart to produce this, I will try to update later.
The major new tricks are:
  • using pause to grab/ungrab the rope, the game use a check every 4 frames to see if you should catch the rope (0502-player state), by adjusting the pause you can "skip" the rope.
  • pausing to despawn monsters, candles or platforms, address range 0600-0700-0800 for "objects", a block is 12 bytes (don't quote me), the spawning timer is at 0009, if you pause the frame before a monster would spawn (and the timer reach a multiply of 8 or 16) the game will just not try to spawn it.
  • you can also press backward to manipulate the spawn, from research done by ThunderAxe we know now that the game try to spawn the monsters but for some obscure reason it decide to not do it (unlike pause where he doesn't even try, this decision is only worth a couple of cycle and hence why there's no frame difference by itself).
  • note that if the scroller is on the left side (and unlike on right side), you cannot press L+R to despawn something, instead you have to L-R-L
  • monsters usually has to be despawn 2 times (timer with multiply of 8, so every 8 frames it try again if you are in range of the monster), but by generating more lag with candles, its possible to backward or pause once instead of twice (this isn't a theory but definitely working), yet, we haven't found the timers related to your position that determine where the checks happen (monster range), but in most cases the delay is 8 frames which is very short so its unlikely you can despawn further/faster than whats presented here.
  • autoscroller; if you don't press UP all the time but rather in short burst, you generate near zero lag, this is a lot more effective on grey version, but still save over 500 frames here too.
  • manipulate luck : unlike previous runs, pausing for 1 frame (pause-blank-pause) doesnt work to manipulate the rng, instead you have to pause for 2 frames or more (pause-blank-blank-pause), this is how you manipulate bats flypath, direction of fireball projectiles or stage2 boss holes spawn.
To improve further:
  • invulnerability gives you a speed boost, I didn't try to measure it with subpixel but its just obvious while watching anyway, I'm not sure if there's more on candles I didn't hit.
  • you can go and test all candles, but provided you don't use pause, it is almost always slower to hit candles, except like before climbing a rope for example.
  • I couldn't figure how to replicate the Dracula fight, I'm blaming emulation for that but I could be wrong.
  • fix eventual small mistakes

Samsara: Claiming for judging.
Samsara: Well, first off - Welcome back, arukAdo! I could turn that into a Welcome Back, Kotter reference, but I'm afraid of people actually getting it. Anyway, welcome back, arukOtter.
The optimization looks solid. Naturally, the big draw is the enemy despawning, but the new rope trick adds a lot to that as well, so there's still a clear improvement that isn't pure lag reduction. Great work overall!
I love that this run exists. It's a crazy technical achievement, being able to despawn almost every single enemy in the game, and I have to give props to you, Mazzin and ThunderAxe for pushing the game to its limit through thorough refinement of the Eldritch technique known as "pausing the game". Pretend that didn't come off as sarcastic. I feel like this is one of those runs I'm going to show people in the future for the kinds of things that a TAS can do. It may not be anywhere near as exciting as other runs, but it's clear throughout the entire run that something is happening that's making nothing happen, and honestly... That's my jam, but to take this analogy in an entirely different direction, the community seems to be more of a fan of jelly.
I asked for feedback on the site and on Discord, and for the most part the consensus was "GAME BORING". The voting since I asked for feedback has been more telling as well: Accounting for the fact that there is a single misvote (one Yes should be a No), the voting went from 13/1/1 (90%) to 14/5/4 (72%). Having watched the run several times by now, I'm inclined to agree: Game boring. (quietly googles which belmont this is) Christopher moves very slowly, the sweet tunes are constantly interrupted by the sounds of pausing, and the novelty of there not being any enemies wears off partway through. It's less Castlevania: The Adventure and more Castlevania: Chris P. Belmont's Lazy Afternoon Zen Experience, which I'll be honest sounds like a much better game, but still not a very interesting TAS.
I'm accepting this as an improvement to the published run. It's staying in Vault for now, but remember it could always be knocked up to Moons if the publication voting goes well.
fsvgm777: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6848: arukAdo's GBC Castlevania: The Adventure in 14:01.02
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
Great improvement. You made this difficult game look like one of the easiest pushovers ever. Strong yes vote. I greatly enjoyed the Christopher Belmont workout: 12000 steps: Check. Climbs 20 flights of stairs: Check. Climbs 20 ropes to ceiling: Check. Jumps 30 chasms: Check. 20 sets of rope swinging: Check. Good workout music: 3/4 stages. Now let's do some push-ups.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Wow, the game actually runs at an acceptable framerate now. Most of the time. The new rope tricks also look really cool. They actually almost make this game kinda exciting. Huge props to Mazzin and you for actually pushing Adventure to its limits. Gladly voting yes on this run.
Experienced player (543)
arukAdo's return! Voting yes for this run! Wanna see you doing Sotn runs again if any improvements found lol!!
I still learn more about English. https://www.youtube.com/user/McBobX100
I wrote:
Working is the best way to achieve goals in speedruning. Hardworking is a pain.
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1638)
Haven't watched the first GB Castlevania game...until now. While I found the sequel of first game more entertaining, this new TAS looks more technical, with heavy manipulation to despawn monsters for lag reduction. The rope tricks are impressive too! Yes vote and welcome back for TASing ;)
My homepage --Currently not much motived for TASing as before...-- But I'm still working.
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
This is getting pretty positive voting, but not a lot of convincing thread feedback. Is this worthy of Moons? It's certainly an incredibly impressive run on a technical level, but does removing all of the enemies actually make it more entertaining of a watch?
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
Samsara: I speak as someone who played this game when I was young. This game was incredibly difficult. Beating this game normally requires excelling at two points: 1) Learning the best places where to stand to effectively let the enemies spawn and come to you to get killed. (Trying to move towards them to kill them is generally a bad idea, as they have much better maneuverability than you do.) 2) Learning the jumping mechanics, because jumping in this game requires precision and is difficult to do under pressure. Knowing all these enemies are supposed to appear, it's like watching arukAdo killing them before they're on screen. And he's doing so without needing to stop and wait in certain spots. Seeing jumping without hesitation, and even reckless on the ropes is quite a site to behold. For someone not familiar with the game, I concede that the run is probably fairly boring. But at least to me, I see arukAdo killing enemies faster than any other TAS, and the game is played really well. I find it quite entertaining.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
I have not played the game. Classic Castlevania games and their playthroughs/speedruns/TASes are typically defined by navigating around hordes of annoyingly-placed enemies with limited slow movement options. Dealing with enemies typically requires some puzzling to get past optimally, using sub-weapons, damage boosts, or enough well-placed whip strikes, and so on. Here, what seems like the vast majority of enemies is just despawned, so what then remains is the character slowly strolling through lots of empty corridors. Which is sort of humorous in its own right, but after a short while it gets extremely boring. There are some cool beats to listen to, and occasional nice challenges with actual enemies or bosses, but that doesn't really save it for me. It's a very well-made TAS, but on entertainment value I vote no.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Experienced player (954)
Samsara wrote:
This is getting pretty positive voting, but not a lot of convincing thread feedback. Is this worthy of Moons? It's certainly an incredibly impressive run on a technical level, but does removing all of the enemies actually make it more entertaining of a watch?
Im not gonna answer about moons because thats something im not sure about. I want to thank everybody who voted yes or contributed to the run, it is possible that ive had slightly more yes vote because of my "return" But for the removal of ennemies, it sure does remove some action of the run and make it a little dull, but this tas is all about fighting the lag and trying to reduce it, so on that front I think its a success and it display something that cannot be achieve real time, it is noticable that removing monster make you go faster(nearly a minute!), im not sure its more entertaining but rather shorten the torture maybe. I could go for another run that doesnt skip monsters, but im not sure it would find a good reception from audiance, and lets face it, the game is very much trash. Im definitly going to rework the run in the future with newer version of bizhawk, and finish the grey run too (even if its not publishable), but im not sure its worth a second category, unless ppl get vocal about it, also, console verification would be really interresting.
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
While the enemy despawn trick is an interesting concept on its own, unfortunately, to me, it makes the run really dull to watch. You've practically seen what the run is about after the first two stages. From a technical standpoint, though, this run is really great. No vote on entertainment. Great fit for the Vault.
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
Pokota
He/Him
I'm going to echo what I said in the other submission's thread. I know what's going on and why, so I'm entertained as hell by the otherwise-inexplicable lack of enemies. I can see why there's not a lot of push for this one, though.
Adventures in Lua When did I get a vest?
Invariel
He/Him
Editor, Site Developer, Player (169)
Instead of echoing what a lot of people have already said, I'm going to pause unpause thank pause unpause you pause unpause for pause unpause using pause unpause L-R-L pause unpause as pause unpause much pause unpause as pause unpause possible so that there is something redeemable about the game: the music. I like how you demonstrated how to work around the bad decisions that went into this game's existence.
I am still the wizard that did it. "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -- Satoru Iwata <scrimpy> at least I now know where every map, energy and save room in this game is
CoolHandMike
He/Him
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (636)
Good lag reduction improvement. Problem is just that...there is not much to look at. It is very strange to not have any enemies, but...meh.
discord: CoolHandMike#0352
Post subject: Re: #6848: arukAdo's GBC Castlevania Adventure in 14:01.02
Emulator Coder
Samsara wrote:
Having watched the run several times by now, I'm inclined to agree: Game boring. (quietly googles which belmont this is) Christopher moves very slowly
Come on man, it was in the first response in this thread.
Post subject: Re: #6848: arukAdo's GBC Castlevania Adventure in 14:01.02
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
Nach wrote:
Samsara wrote:
Having watched the run several times by now, I'm inclined to agree: Game boring. (quietly googles which belmont this is) Christopher moves very slowly
Come on man, it was in the first response in this thread.
Come on man, it's right next to my name.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [4273] GBC Castlevania: The Adventure by arukAdo in 14:01.02