(Link to video)
This is a 644 frame improvement over Aglar's published movie.
  • Emulator used: FCEUX 2.2.3
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses death as shortcut

Improvements

The primary improvement in this TAS is from further use of a death as a shortcut. It was theorized a long while ago that killing yourself would be convenient to end some levels faster, so I made use of some different routing to pick up as many extra lives as possible. In general, if you can get a 1-up without losing over a second, it will wind up saving some time. There was already one instance of a time-saving suicide in the published movie, which I improved by "quitting" the level by pause instead of getting hit by an enemy.
Aside from that, there are a few movement optimizations in some levels. I found that certain stages don't require you to turn around to do the acceleration trick (related to the way the game loads your position to start). I also decided to aim for collecting more golden arches in this run, which, although irrelevant to time, adds some new style to the TAS, since most of Aglar's levels were very hard to improve and I didn't want them to look identical. Though I can't collect as many as I want because getting 100 forces you to play a boring bonus game.:p

Wtf? This isn't an All Levels improvement...

Well, funnily enough my first plan was to only improve the all levels movie, since it's quite out of date by now and I thought the current any% run was still pretty optimal enough. However, I realized a new any% movie would be a good starting point, since I could compare to my own work instead of having to refer to 2 runs at once. Also, my brief tests I did just now showed me this game is mostly pretty edit friendly, so this new movie will make doing that run easier. Look forward to it :)

Thanks

Aglar for the published movie, Brushy for his runs & "all levels" WIP, nitrogenesis and Schaaa for some new techniques, and Walker Boh and Sami for contributing to M.C. Kids tasing. And to you for reading this far :D

feos: Judging...
Samsara: File replaced with a 131 frame improvement. The embedded encode already represents this replaced file.
feos: While gameplay is a bit longer in a few rooms due to different routing, in some other rooms it's shorter due to optimization; in similar rooms the time is identical, and where death abuse was added, that still counts as an optimization technique, because levels fade out sooner, and the movie gradually gets shorter. I think a bit of time is only lost in one level, but the death abuse evens that out by the start of the next level.
The feedback is mildly positive, and the current publication is in solid Moons, accepting over [1254] NES M.C. Kids by Aglar in 18:15.97 inheriting the tier.
fsvgm777: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6851: Jules's NES M.C. Kids in 18:03.45
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
I hadn't seen the previous run, but this one was pretty smooth throughout. No mistakes stood out to the naked eye, so here's a yes vote.
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3967)
I have a feeling that a new all levels TAS would obsolete this category.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Jules
Any
Skilled player (1144)
EZGames69 wrote:
I have a feeling that a new all levels TAS would obsolete this category.
How come? They're not terribly similar.
EZGames69
He/They
Because the same levels that are done in any% are also done in all levels, this was the reason for [3630] Genesis Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure "all levels" by Evil_3D in 26:54.70 to obsolete any%
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
RetroEdit
Any
Editor, Reviewer, Player (165)
I guess my question with regards to all levels vs. any% would be whether the level strategies are different, or whether any% is just a strict subset of all levels for this game? Having levels in common doesn't necessarily mean the gameplay strategies are similar.
Jules
Any
Skilled player (1144)
I did see that movie, but it doesn't seem like the same situation since it was obsoleted for containing the exact same gameplay as an all levels run. M.C. Kids all levels requires collecting all 6 cards in each level, in addition to every secret card, in order to access the secret 7th world, so it's closer to a 100% run than a run that just plays the any% run input with the skipped levels.
Memory
She/Her
Site Admin, Skilled player (1523)
Colin, I think instead of making assumptions such as "I think this will be obsoleted by all levels" maybe ask what the differences are. Thank you for listing them Jules.
[16:36:31] <Mothrayas> I have to say this argument about robot drug usage is a lot more fun than whatever else we have been doing in the past two+ hours
[16:08:10] <BenLubar> a TAS is just the limit of a segmented speedrun as the segment length approaches zero
EZGames69
He/They
I apologize, I was certain that the only differences was just playing extra levels, I wasn’t aware that there existed secret cards as well. Ignore what I said. And yeah, I’ll take memory’s advice and ask about differences in the future.
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1638)
How much time is gained for each death? Meanwhile, nice improvement and yes vote.
My homepage --Currently not much motived for TASing as before...-- But I'm still working.
Jules
Any
Skilled player (1144)
Dying at the goal is an improvement of 72 frames, which means we have 3.5 seconds saved from the default three extra lives given to you by the game, while the rest are (72 - however many frames you needed to waste to collect a 1up, usually 20-30). The closest call comes from the detour to pick up the life in the very first stage, which only winds up saving a handful of frames, even though it's visually very different. The suicide after grabbing the magic bag only saves 2 frames, but luckily it doesn't require having an extra life. It's also worth noting that the position of the character at the goal isn't relevant to time, despite what came up in the last submission thread.
Expert player (3578)
While watching I thought I saw a potential improvement at the start of 6-2, and indeed the unassisted speedrun uses it: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/243996322?t=0h17m59s At least it's close to the end and shouldn't pose a big problem adding in :) Great job on the run nontheless!
feos wrote:
Only Aglar can improve this now.
Jules
Any
Skilled player (1144)
Two straight submissions of mine with an improvement found after? I must be slipping ^.^ Here's that implemented: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/65633912286313509 I also took the liberty of making a high-def encode, since I noticed my original was pretty blurry at times.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [4282] NES M.C. Kids by Jules in 18:03.45