(Link to video)
[dead link removed] This is what it sounds like when there's lots of Sligs making the same sounds whilst the DDG is on - Sligs (Flamingos) in the pub!

Main Comments

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee is a 2D side scrolling platform game released in 1997 for the PS1 and PC. This movie beats the previous movie by 1 second thanks to a new strat in the Stockyards, several optimizations in RuputureFarms and some improvements in Zulag 4 using a fargrab trick.

Technical Stuff

• Emulator Used: Bizhawk v2.3.3
  • BIOS used: SCPH7003.bin
ROMS used:
  • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (USA).cue

Game objectives:

• Bad Ending
  • Heavy Glitch Abuse
  • Major Skip Glitch

Here is a list of glitches that we used:

Death Delay Glitch

Often abbreviated as DDG it makes Abe invisible and can corrupt his sprite and eventually become invisible at some point allowing him to get past things that would kill him. Abe will die if he falls of a ledge or gets zapped. A video made by Sligfantry can show you how this glitch works:

Auto Turn Delay Glitch

This glitch works by standing on the edge of the ledge and pressing the down button quickly and run towards a spot where you would like to hoist down. You will need to press either 'left/down' or 'right/down' depending on which direction Abe was facing.

Stop Turn and Backwards Jump

By timing this glitch perfectly you can make Abe stop and turn. To set it up, Abe needs to be standing near a ledge (pressing up whilst tunring arround) you will be able to make Abe do a backwards jump. Notice that when you press the opposite direction to where Abe is standing at the incorrect frame, Abe will just jump up and stand. But if you time it perfectly, Abe will jump backwards and possibly jump to another screen. This will allow you to jump backwards to areas and skip Zulags. In a 100% run it will allow you to get to secret areas quicker and it skips a section of StockYards Escape after finishing the secret area. Sligfantry's video can show you how this glitch works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIo1TJUBGlo

Multiple Backwards Jump

Whilst performing a backwards jump, simply press up/jump and Abe will do a multiple backwards jump and in this run Abe will use it to skip Zulag 3 to get to Zulag 4.

Diagonal fall

This is done by combining the stop turn and the auto turn glitch. It is used as a time saver in Monsaic Lines and to save a frame in RuptureFarms.

Bird Portal Closure Glitch

This run contains a glitch which saves a few frames. You can free the Mudokon a few frames earlier than a normal rescue. Here is the before and after video on how it looks when using the glitch.

Jumping from a Roll

A new thing discovered by Himmdwag, in some parts of the game Abe will jump from a roll!

Faster Slig Dodge

Improvements

RuptureFarms

I managed to improve this stage again based on the PC any% IL run by CrashingSnake.

Stockyards

I improved the stage thanks to using Sligfantry's Quick Slig Dodge strat. Thanks Sligfatnry for showing this strat! I also managed to improve the Slogs section towards the end of the stage. With advice from Himmdawg, I can run and jump from the top ledge to the bottom platform and he said I had to be aware of RNG with the Slogs as they can be further away from Abe. But I figured out I can overcome this RNG by rolling on the next screen with the other Slog. Also, the slepeing Slog can be RNG too - sometimes he'll wake up quicker whilst the other Slogs are chasing.

Zulag 1

Legna noticed a mistake in my previous run and that is an uncessary roll that I did. Well, without the roll I save a bit of time in this stage!

Zulag 4

Himmdwag suggested I should roll one extra tile heading towards the Slog Kennels so I can enter the door faster. Doing this trick saves around 2 frames!

Thanks

I need to thank Sligfantry for his video in the quick Slig dodge trick that was a time saver in this run, LegnaX for pointing out the mistakes in my previous movie and Himmdwag for more mistakes that I managed to improve in tihs run. Thanks again LegnaX, Sligfantry and Himmdwag for their findings - An die Arbiet!

Fixed YT module as well.
Samtastic: Added new YT encode of the new movie file that is 6 frames faster.
Samsara: Replaced movie file with aforementioned 6 frame improvement.
Samsara: After the huge number of improvements found over the previous submission and this one, I took a deep dive into the run and, as far as I could tell, there's nothing else obvious that can be improved. All these improvements seem to be pure strategy, coming from a deep knowledge of the game, which isn't something I have. What's left is as optimized as it can be. The game's pretty fickle with its movement: If you're unfamiliar, it controls in much the same way as Prince of Persia, so actual optimization opportunities are fairly limited With Samtastic currently busy on 100%, I think it's safe to accept this as an improvement to the published run.
I'd like to explore the tier at a later date. Like the previous publications of this category, it's staying in Moons for now, but that's mostly because I can't really pin down how the audience is reacting. The prior publications have been getting fairly low entertainment ratings, and it's hard to tell whether or not they're "real": i.e, whether it's an actual sign that we need to readjust the tier or if it's just fatigue from how many minor improvements this game receives. I'd like to see some discussion on this, whether in the thread, in the tier changes topic, or just saying your talkwords at me directly. Slide into my DMs with your Oddworld opinions.
feos: Pub.
Samsara: Disregard that, setting to delayed while improvements are being investigated.
Samsara: File replaced with an 18 frame improvement. Submission will remain on delayed for the time being.
Samsara: Re-accepting. Due to feedback both worsening and fading over time, up to and including this submission, I am changing the tier to Vault as this game's fastest completion run.
feos: Pub.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6852: Samtastic's PSX Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee in 12:59.96
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3967)
You’re so close to getting sub 13, why not try to aim for it before submitting again?
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Samtastic
He/Him
Player (60)
EZGames69 wrote:
You’re so close to getting sub 13, why not try to aim for it before submitting again?
It's pretty difficult considering that all the known tricks are in use it's very hard to optimize.
Enjoys speedrunning, playing and TASing Oddworld games! Has TASed: Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee in 12.06.13 (with Dooty) Oddworld: Adventures II in 20.03.78 (with Dooty) Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus 100% in 2:08:28.4 (with Dooty) Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee 100% in 1:05:01.65 Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus in 37:18 Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus in 37:15 Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus 100% in 2:!5.44.12 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee any% in 13:01.3 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee any% in 12:59.95 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee 100% in 1:04:16.27 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee 100% in 1:04:01.07 Currently working on: Waiting for Windows TAS Tools to work so I can TAS PC version of Exoddus.
EZGames69
He/They
You’ve tried your best to optimize those tricks as much as possible?
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Samtastic
He/Him
Player (60)
EZGames69 wrote:
You’ve tried your best to optimize those tricks as much as possible?
I think so yeah. I’m gonna try and fix the ending as this is the first time I heard the Sligs keep shooting repeatedly at the end. If I fix that I’ll be sending a fixed movie file. Update: This time I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what causes this to happen at the end. This is the first time it has ever happened in a PSX run so I'd gueess I'll have to leave it in.
Enjoys speedrunning, playing and TASing Oddworld games! Has TASed: Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee in 12.06.13 (with Dooty) Oddworld: Adventures II in 20.03.78 (with Dooty) Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus 100% in 2:08:28.4 (with Dooty) Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee 100% in 1:05:01.65 Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus in 37:18 Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus in 37:15 Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus 100% in 2:!5.44.12 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee any% in 13:01.3 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee any% in 12:59.95 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee 100% in 1:04:16.27 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee 100% in 1:04:01.07 Currently working on: Waiting for Windows TAS Tools to work so I can TAS PC version of Exoddus.
Samtastic
He/Him
Player (60)
OK - I have improved the previous movie by 6 frames and fixed the Slig shooting bug at the end. http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/65607670076006980
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
Are you planning on improving it further? Given the number of improvements on the previous submission, and now this submission that's already had an improvement, I'd prefer to wait for an absolutely final version before replacing and judging.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Samtastic
He/Him
Player (60)
Samsara wrote:
Are you planning on improving it further? Given the number of improvements on the previous submission, and now this submission that's already had an improvement, I'd prefer to wait for an absolutely final version before replacing and judging.
No, this is the final version.
Patashu
He/Him
I assume the reason why this game gets so many submissions is because it's super easy to resync, and a lot of its movement is prince of persia style or frame rule determined, so it's easy to do things optimally given the best known routes/tricks, not because Samtastic is half-assing his submissions.
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Samtastic
He/Him
Player (60)
Patashu wrote:
I assume the reason why this game gets so many submissions is because it's super easy to resync, and a lot of its movement is prince of persia style or frame rule determined, so it's easy to do things optimally given the best known routes/tricks, not because Samtastic is half-assing his submissions.
Yeah the only one trick that make's it hard to resync in an any% run is the bees in the Monsaic Lines. I have a struggle to get the glitch to work in a realtime run on the PC version it has a 20% chance of success!
Samsara
She/They
Patashu wrote:
I don't think the runs are half-assed, I'd just like to prevent another situation where we dedicate time and resources to judging a run, then multiple improvements, and then fully processing a supposed final version only to have a brand new improvement come in barely a week after publication with an immediate subsequent improvement afterward. I'll replace the file now, but I'm going to hold off on judging just in case more improvements manage to trickle in.
warmCabin wrote:
Samtastic
He/Him
Player (60)
Samsara wrote:
Patashu wrote:
I don't think the runs are half-assed, I'd just like to prevent another situation where we dedicate time and resources to judging a run, then multiple improvements, and then fully processing a supposed final version only to have a brand new improvement come in barely a week after publication with an immediate subsequent improvement afterward. I'll replace the file now, but I'm going to hold off on judging just in case more improvements manage to trickle in.
OK fair enough. Let's hope someone finds a new strat that will hopefully get a sub 13.
Patashu
He/Him
Samsara wrote:
Patashu wrote:
Yep, fair enough! If you want to have some guideline (formal or informal) for how often you'll commit to doing publishing work for a category because publisher time is a limited resource, that makes perfect sense to me.
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Samtastic
He/Him
Player (60)
Well, I've been playing around with the game today and haven't found anywhere I can save time so I doubt this movie will be improved again.
Samtastic
He/Him
Player (60)
OK so Himdawg just gave me some things I can try to improve this TAS in particular. I should try and add these fixes and see if I can improve it and a get a sub 13. He has pointed out 6 mistakes: 1.) In Rupture Farms: You did a slow enter on the door after shadow slig 2.) In Stockyards, you can do a roll jump after the first slog (it's rng whether he'll end up with a good amount of distance to you) 3.) In Stockyards, instead of sliding and chant at the end where the second slog is, do roll to stand up, chant, and go on 4.) In Monsaic Lines, where you double chant to get past the slinger guy. I feel like you can go a few frames earlier? It's just a hunch 5) FFZ, the slog chase: you can do a far grab there 6) Zulag 4: just before you enter slog kennels: roll just one tile further so you quik enter So I think I need to put this on delayed and cancel publication for now until I add these improvements to the movie then I'll add a replacement file here.
Samtastic
He/Him
Player (60)
Finally, managed to make another improvement to the previous movie - it's 18 frames faster and the new time is 12:59.96! http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/65823879909895178 - temp enocde inocming!
Samsara
She/They
I'll replace the file once I verify sync, but I will once again be waiting a number of days before re-accepting just to make sure that there are actually no more improvements to be had. I highly recommend double and possibly triple checking with the RTA community to see if there's anything left. In the meantime... As I stated in my submission text, the ratings for this category have been steadily dropping over time. While a declining rating would normally be enough for a tier change, I can't help but think that these declining ratings are more due to the fatigue of so many Oddworld submissions as opposed to the run's actual entertainment value. That, combined with the general lack of thread feedback across nearly every previous iteration of this category, leads me to believe that we need to have a more objective discussion on entertainment. How does everyone feel about the entertainment value of this run/game? Personally, I've felt a really sturdy Meh from the very first submission of this game. The major time cuts and route improvements due to the new glitches have made it a fair bit more interesting over time, but I'm still pretty firmly at Meh for this submission.
warmCabin wrote:
EZGames69
He/They
I personally like watching this game. However I have been less likely to watch new runs of it for the reasons you mentioned. Since I dont know this game that well, it’s not easy to know where each improvement was done in the game, I like seeing new movies for games where I can notice something different each time, unfortunately the nature of improvement for this game makes it impossible to tell what’s changed just from watching.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
The problem with this category in its current form is it doesn't have enough variety and tension. The BG art is amazing, and the level layout is constantly changing, leading to changes in action, but most of the time it's the same limited set of things that barely changes across the whole movie. Floor clips are nice, whatever shortcut the suicides help with is also cool, but overall it does get old eventually. It stayed on Meh+ for the first few minutes, disappearing sprite led to Meh-, then gameplay got repetitive and it became a No, and in the end there are a few seconds of tension that move it back to Meh-. The ratings show that after 2014, when the last big improvement happened, this category stopped entertaining people. I can agree that improvements aren't so obvious anymore, and it feels like watching the same run over and over, without it providing enough entertainment to actually be worth watching several times.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Player (50)
Sub-13. Wow! Yes vote. Regarding tier choice, I believe that it is just the number of small improvements. I believe this is an entertaining game (and TAS), from the skips to the "Freeze!" - Good game, good TAS.
DJ Incendration Believe in Michael Girard and every speedrunner and TASer!
Samtastic
He/Him
Player (60)
DJ Incendration wrote:
Sub-13. Wow! Yes vote. Regarding tier choice, I believe that it is just the number of small improvements. I believe this is an entertaining game (and TAS), from the skips to the "Freeze!" - Good game, good TAS.
Thanks for yes vote! I’m almost done with the 100% TAS. I ran into a desync in the Slog Kennels of Zulag 4 which I will fix. The second Mudokon doesn’t want to go off screen. There’s plenty of new strats in this one and all the strats that were used in the any% run like the roll into jump in the Stockyards is now in the new 100%.
Samtastic
He/Him
Player (60)
When will this movie be published? I need to get this one out before my Oddysee 100% gets judged/accepted etc.
It will be published when improvements stop arriving at the rate they have been arriving. Having a new submission of this branch every month with 10 file replacements doesn't look like any of those improvements is actually final. Why do you need to get it published before 100% is judged though?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Samtastic
He/Him
Player (60)
feos wrote:
It will be published when improvements stop arriving at the rate they have been arriving. Having a new submission of this branch every month with 10 file replacements doesn't look like any of those improvements is actually final. Why do you need to get it published before 100% is judged though?
Because any% is the shortest run and is the most watched.
How is that a reason for specific publication order?