Star Control, Hierarchy melee.
Game objectives
   Emulator used: Bizhawk 2.5.1
   Aims for fastest time
   Uses hardest difficulty
   Game mode: Melee
   Faction: Hierarchy

Comments

Star Control is a game hybrid borrowing elements from Asteroids and Archon. The game mode in this run is called melee. In the melee mode the goal is to destroy all spacecraft of the enemy faction. There are two factions, Hierarchy and Alliance. Both factions have 7 unique spacecraft. Each spaceraft has a normal attack and a special attack. Each ship also has unique rules for fuel consumption and fuel regeneration.
I choose Ur-Quan, because it has very high DPS. (Umgah and Androsyn can probably do pretty fast runs also.)
I waste two frames before pressing start to manipulate luck, so that Yehat comes first. This seems to give better battles overall. The rest of the ships come in a strict order based on what the computer thinks is the best choice.

YEHAT

Yehat uses shield with perfect precision making him invulnerable to our shots. He only fails if we make a point blank shot. We can also time our shots to connect just when the enemy runs out of fuel and there is a short gap when the shield is offline. First shot and launched fighters are decoys to deplete his fuel faster.

MMRNMHRM

Fastest ship in the game that can dodge shots very easily.

EARTHLING CRUISER

Pretty good spawn point.

CHENJESU

This is usually the hardest battle because Chenjesu can deplete our fuel with dogs, damage us heavily or escape slowly which makes the battle very long. This time I get perfect spawn point.

ARILOU

Almost perfect spawn point. Arilou can dodge easily so one shot is wasted to manipulate his movements.

SYREEN

Syreen often spawns far away so I am happy with this result. Here input is ended early.

SHOFIXTI

If we get too close to Shofixti he will make the most powerful attack in the game, self destructing.

Thanks

Thanks to TASVideos and adelikat. Please make Amiga and DOS runs also. 100% campaign missions would be a viable run also.

slamo: Judging! And changed the branch to fit the naming convention of the other run.
slamo: Optimization looks fine here, given how cumbersome the ship is to move and the limited firing angles. Ending input at the penultimate opponent and then having the last ship self-destruct is extremely clever.
As I established in the judgment for the Alliance run, these runs are Vaultable together because the opponents are completely different.
Feedback was limited but ok. The Alliance run is pulling Vault-ish ratings, and the gameplay is fairly similar here, so I'm accepting this run to the Vault.
feos: Pub.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
xxezrabxxx
He/Him
Here's a temp encode I made Link to video
I like to comment on submissions and look around the site. You have probably seen me before (if you have been around for a while) either on the site, Discord, or any other social media. I recently took up making temporary encodes for new submissions. Also, I never forget to greet Tompa wherever I find him! "when resyncing stuff sucks it's called Resuccing" - EZGames69 “If an emulator stops being accepted to the site it should be called an emuLAMEr” - EZGames69 "oh no discord, everything I say will now be logged forever, sdfsdf, time to hide" - Masterjun "just had to give therapy to a taxi with daddy issues" - psx Current Projects: Mother 3 (75% complete)
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Skilled player (1638)
Ok...I used to play this a lot when I was in college. I really liked this a lot. Thanks for TASing it. It certainly is played above human capabilities, but it does seem to be optimal on the surface, but it does look a little questionable in some areas. Maybe this version is just different than the one I played on DOS. Question, was a "Last Input" used to set up the encounter with the Shofixti? If so, that was a clever selection for your last battle. Anyway...Yes vote.
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [4295] Genesis Star Control "Melee mode, Hierarchy" by artbreeder in 01:37.48