Confuzion

This is a puzzle game in which players must explode all of the bombs in each level using a spark. The spark flows along a fuse, which is made up of a series of tiles. These tiles can be moved in the manner of a sliding puzzle. In other words, there is only one unoccupied space and adjacent tiles can be moved into that space, freeing a new space in the process. The aim is then to move the tiles so that the fuse forms a path from the spark to each bomb. There is a time limit, however, and extra time is knocked off if the spark reaches a dead end. Some levels also contain water droplets that extinguish the spark if they touch it.

TAS Objectives/Notes

• Beat the Game as quickly as possible
  • There are 64 unique levels in the game. After that the level number changes to 65 and it repeats Levels 33 through 64...only faster. After the completion of 96 levels, it returns back to 65, where the same level of difficulty exists.
  • BOTing was performed on a cut scene that occurred between Level 63 and 64.

Tools used

• Emulator: Bizhawk 2.4 (Because I needed to do some lua script BOTing, which fails on version afterwards).
  • Ram Watch: was used to determine when the level changes.
  • Lua Scripting: Used to create a BOT that ran RNG combinations for a cut scene that varies in time for the random explosions.

Controls

In this game, you only have 4 directions to move. A direction will move a block into an empty spot. Just like a slide puzzle. The only control that can make a speed difference is the fire button...which speeds up the spark, when pressed. When level 65 is reached, this button no longer has any control...where the game then runs at full speed.

Why PAL?

I noticed, when performing the load of the TAP image, the length of load time was well into the 10K frames. When the game finally loaded, it appeared that NTSC was performing input adjustments to add one frame for every 5 frames. The game didn't seem to run faster, but the length of the movie was much larger than I wanted to deal with. So...I stuck with PAL.

BOTing

One past submission (I'm not saying which), was partially BOTed...but not in the normal sense. This will be my first submission where BOTing was done that was accounted for actual cuts. In this game, RNG is not part of game-play. I could have wrote an algorithm to BOT the main parts, but it could have been months of writing. So, I manually TASed the game-play and BOTed the only part that has RNG...the Explosion Cut scene after Level 63. Why was this necessary? The game seems to play a certain amount of explosions; however, each explosion had a specific length of time for its detonation...which was derived by use of the RND function in ML. This RND provides a number, based off of CPU "Ticks". This was enough to warrant a pseudo brute force between Level 63 and 64 to speed this section up. In fact, the result was around 3 seconds cut. So, if a frame was found before this area...the BOT would have to be ran again to find the shortest time.

Be on the lookout. This is just a prelude to a huge project that I'm working on where 99% of a game is being BOTed against predefined inputs. The results so far are showing a MASSIVE reduction against human effort. :) My prediction is that it will be finished by the beginning of 2022!!

slamo: Judging! And replaced the movie file with an improvement that saves 53 frames.
slamo: Optimization looks pretty good to me, and this run definitely completes the game under our rules because the level number just loops back around to 65 at the end. This game was released on tape so the format is fine as well.
The movie is similar to our Junction run, which is currently in Vault tier. The feedback was not very enthusiastic and I think the run is a little repetitive, so I'll also be accepting this run to Vault.
Zinfidel: Processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6889: nymx's C64 Confuzion in 26:58.33
arflech
He/Him
This looks like a predecessor to Junction.
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png
GJTASer2018
He/Him
If this is what a human can do unaided, it will be truly jaw-dropping what a bot can accomplish in this game! I have one question though: Does the game keep track of how many sparks you have in reserve beyond 9? If so, are there any glitchy effects when the number reaches certain thresholds? (100, 128 and 256 would be good ones to test for this purpose)
c-square wrote:
Yes, standard runs are needed and very appreciated here too
Dylon Stejakoski wrote:
Me and the boys starting over our games of choice for the infinityieth time in a row because of just-found optimizations
^ Why I don't have any submissions despite being on the forums for years now...
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Skilled player (1637)
GJTASer2018 wrote:
I have one question though: Does the game keep track of how many sparks you have in reserve beyond 9? If so, are there any glitchy effects when the number reaches certain thresholds? (100, 128 and 256 would be good ones to test for this purpose)
I've wondered that, and I probably should look into it...since I was curious. Since it didn't matter for TASing it, I never checked...sorry. But! since it caps off at 9, while the level indicator can show 10 and beyond...I have a feeling that 9 is the max.
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Skilled player (1637)
DrD2k9 contacted me to report a flaw in my TAS. It occurred early in the TAS (Level 8). Fortunately, the re-sync brought up more cuts. 53 frames to be exact. This also came from running my BOT between Level 63 and 64 again...which took about 3 days. Admin or Judge...please replace my submission file with the following file: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/66349111542519896
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [4319] C64 Confuzion by nymx in 26:58.33