(Link to video)
I am here, at Dr. West's mansion. Now, this may look like any typical abandoned mansion, but behind the walls lies something unsettling and dangerous. I've been instructed by local authorities that if I were to enter this place, I need to put on this mask. As it gives me the needed protection I need to safely explore what makes this place so infamous.
Splatter Party is a song produced by prolific composer Camellia, featuring the vocal talents of Minecraft inventor Hatsune Miku.

Game objectives, but SPOOOOOOOOKY

• Emulator used: BizHawk 2.5.2
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Splatters houses
  • hey y'all, me again, the ghostwriter
  • y'know nobody's ever asked what my name is
  • been ghostwriting the lady's submission texts for years uncredited
  • putting in jokes 'cause she ain't funny herself
  • ever seen her be funny? that's me
  • ol' tim jokesman
  • anyway my name is mark jokesman
  • don't ask why i said tim
  • tim's my brother
  • dude's never made a joke in his life
  • really shameful to the family name
  • anyway peace out, one love y'all, see you space cowboys

Comments, but SPOOOOOOOOKY

Samsara: You know we had to do it to 'em.
Since this is the Spooky Month, and since I have returned, and since I didn't think to keep Nightmare on Elm Street until the Spooky Month in order for it to be Even More Spooky, and since this is the only run of mine that got obsoleted in the time I was gone (EZGames69: she somehow forgot about Castlevania 3 warp glitch c:), and since there was a new PCE core released, and since my boy/son/boyson/Son Boy, The Boy Who Is A Son EZGames69 wanted to collab on something, I felt like this was the perfect TAS for the two of us. Splatterhouse is great. As I said five years ago, it's self-aware about what it is as a series. Pixel gore, horror movie references, and that weird unexplainable gameplay shift in Splatterhouse 3 where you make breadsticks pop out of your body in what I can only describe as the Cooking Mama sequel we deserved instead of Cookstar.
This is a 155 frame improvement over the published run, primarily through better speed control by optimizing sliding, and better boss fights. You may notice that this is, in fact, not a 155 frame improvement, and that's because everything is garbage. 5 frames are lost by switching to the TurboNyma core. EZGames made a resynced version of the published run on the TurboNyma core, which we were using for comparison all throughout. The other 35 frames are lost because everything is garbage. RNG on the final boss means we are unable to end input early in the same way as the published run. The final boss still dies on the same frame, 155 frames faster than the resynced run, so I'm taking that as the improvement, and none of you can stop me.
EZGames' comments will be added later, as I am unemployed and he is not, and it is really hard to write submission comments when you are employed and your collaborator is not. What I'm saying is that I have no life and he does (EZGames69: this is not true, I have no life despite being employed.). Please hire me. This TAS is my resume. I'm great at sliding and punching babies. Don't read that last part unless your company is Baby Punchers, Inc.

Explanations, but SPOOOOOOOOKY

Rick's Speed

Samsara: To simplify it (AKA, in the way that I, Samsara, a dumbass, understand it), Rick's speed is based on an 8 frame cycle. Value 04FD shows Rick's current pixel speed, while 0552 shows his subpixel speed in increments of 32. Each increment of 32 corresponds to a frame in the 8 frame cycle where Rick will travel 2 pixels. For simplicity's sake once again, I'll be converting these values into decimals, with 1 increment of subspeed being equivalent to 1/8.
EZGames69: Ha Ha Rick go SWOOOOOOOOOOP
Samsara: "nyoom" - Rick "Splatter" House
Rick's max speeds:
Walking: 1.375 ppf
Jumping (holding a direction): 1.5 ppf
Sliding (ground): 1.875 ppf
Sliding (air): 2 ppf
Slopes: 2 ppf
Because of this, naturally, we want to be sliding as much as possible, but also we want to be jumping as much as possible. I specified holding a direction when jumping because, without holding a direction, Rick's speed is maintained during a jump. This means that jumping on the first frame out of a slide without pressing anything causes Rick to travel at slide speed over the course of the jump. It gets more interesting when factoring in how sliding and speed work in tandem: The higher we jump, the higher we can begin sliding, which gives an extra pixel of movement per slide, which can save a frame here or there if the stage allows for it (it almost always doesn't!).
If we can't slide for whatever reason, but we need to maintain a high speed, then the next best option is to duck-jump immediately after finishing a jump. This loses a subspeed increment, but it still allows us to maintain a higher speed than normal throughout another jump. This is used to great effect on the bridge in Stage 3, the strategy we use to clear it is only possible with duck-jumping.

Stage by stage comments, but SPOOOOOOOOKY

Samsara: I marked down which of us worked on each stage. If you see both of our names, it was either we traded off halfway through, or one of us went in and optimized what the other did.
EZGames69: this is a lie, she did all the work, I am too lazy to be a good TASer.
Samsara: you pressed the run button twice and it was such a step up after DTC9 that i had to credit you

Stage 1 - Dungeon (EZGames + Samsara)

Samsara: A better "slide route" through the stage reduces the need to slow down or duck jump, saving 9 frames.
EZGames69: If you jump out of a slide right on a ledge, you can keep your 2 ppf speed for as long as you are in the air for. This is done on the platform near the end of the screen.

Boreworms (EZGames + Samsara)

Samsara: No save here, though we elect to kill some of the boreworms to make it different from the previous two TASes.

Stage 2 - Torture Chamber (EZGames)

Samsara: No save here.
EZGames69: Feels pretty tame for a torture room.

Underground (Samsara)

Samsara: Lots of music sync. Damage intentionally taken for variety in music sync sound effects. No save here.

Poltergeist (Samsara)

Samsara: One frame saved on the chair, as redemption for whatever possessed me to think that my despawning strategy was faster.

Stage 3 - Outdoors (EZGames + Samsara)

Samsara: Better slide route once again, saving 4 frames. No save on Biggy Man, but Rick does shoot the wrong way a bunch, because he's a saucy little scamp. If anyone knows what part of my brain misfired and made me type that, please let me know so I can have it removed immediately, because apart from this upcoming time, I never want to type the words "saucy little scamp" ever again.
EZGames69: Biggie is an Edward Chainsaw Hands lookin ass.

Stage 4 - Rotary Blade Room (EZGames + Samsara)

Samsara: Playaround changeups, mainly. Not messing with the harpoons and showing off a little bit of weirdness.

Mirror Hall (EZGames)

Samsara: it is a hall of mirrors
EZGames69: Shoutout to Zallard1, where I did music syncs almost exactly how he does them in his runs.
Also damn, my ass looking thicc in these Mirrors. Nice.
Samsara: ez games thiccs-ty nine

Evil Cross (EZGames + Samsara)

Samsara: Restating from previous submissions: The quick kill on the Cross is dependent on where it is on the screen when we arrive. It starts moving in an arcing pattern across the screen once it reaches a point near the bottom of its oscillating cycle. We want to arrive just after that point while it's travelling upward, as there isn't enough time to reach it while it's travelling downward. Hitting it will, for whatever reason, pause it in place for a few frames before it snaps back to where it should be on the cycle if it hadn't paused, meaning it's possible to hit it past that point going both ways and keep it on the right side of the screen. On the last hit, we want to be on the far right side to reduce the time it takes for the screen to start fading out, so the final jump and hit are timed perfectly to be able to hit the Cross as early as possible while still reaching the far right side of the screen. There's some political commentary in here somewhere.
11 frames are saved on this battle.
EZGames69: I don't want Religion in MY GAME.

Stage 5 - Chairs (Samsara)

Samsara: Continuing my chair redemption by saving 2 frames in this room with better sliding.

did a great job on this hand room (Samsara, obviously, with that joke)

Samsara: real good hand job over here
(12 frames saved through better understanding of rick's speed)
EZGames69: Why did I let you write the submission text?
Samsara:

Three whole-ass autoscrollers in a row

Underground by EZGames.
Necromancer by EZGames.
Banshees by Samsara.
Samsara: Rick wears a hat and a skull for precisely one frame each and those are definitely not part of our screenshot suggestions, nope,

Jennifer (Samsara, in what she likes to call "my gender identity in reverse")

Samsara: The biggest single improvement in the run, an optimized strategy saves 50 frames.
EZGames69: Why are you sad about her dying, Rick? You drop kicked her face ffs.

Stage 6 - The Womb (EZGames + Samsara)

Samsara: We were worried about this stage from the start. The larva fetuses that we love to yeetus are the only notable thing in the game that are RNG dependent (EDIT: GEE SAMSARA YOU SURE WROTE THAT BEFORE GETTING FRICKED ON HELL CHAOS), and the only way that was found to manipulate it is all the dang way back in the Necromancer room in Stage 5. Luckily, not only did we get a good RNG pattern, we got a... Great... RNG pattern. 39 frames are saved on the heart.
EZGames69: This was how I was born
Samsara: tag yourself, i'm the first bubble that gets punched

Stage 7 - Hell, I Guess (Samsara)

Samsara: Optimizing the sliding and damage route saves 27 frames, the final improvement in the run.

Hell Chaos, AKA Captain Mozzarella (Samsara)

Samsara: A few different strategies were tried here, but none of them worked out. Hell Chaos ended up spawning on different sides of the arena in this run, which provided a real fun moment on the fourth cycle when I couldn't figure out how to do damage and survive afterward. Turns out: Ducking. All it took was ducking. That's an hour of my life I want back, thank you very the hell (chaos) much.
I don't wanna talk about the fifth cycle. I just want those other hours of my life back, thank you very the hell (chaos) much.

Final Thoughts, but SPOOOOOOOOKY

Samsara: Really happy with how this turned out (except for the end, which sucked), and also really happy to get back into collaborative work. Naturally, the best progression from controlling 4 players with 1 character is to control 1 character with 2 TASers. I couldn't have asked for a better collaborator than EZGames, either. Everything went super smooth, motivation stayed high all throughout, and it wouldn't have been nearly as good of a final product without his help. I'm looking forward to working with that saucy little scamp again.
AW HELL I DID THE THING AGAIN,
EZGames69: Sam I swear to god if you call me that again, I will improve this run on my own, and leave your name out of it.
Samsara: that is generally how non-collaborative improvements work, yes
EZGames69: In all seriousness tho, I feel super grateful to be working with someone as talented, kind, and as hilarious as Samsara. Both of us felt equally as knowledgeable about this game and it only made sense for us to work together. And I couldn’t be happier with the final result (also, am I really the best son/boy/boy son/son boy?🥺)

Special Thanks, but SPOOOOOOOOKY

Samsara: I couldn't have asked for a better PARTNER than GoddessMaria. Love you, hon~

Screenshot Suggestions, but SPOOOOOOOOKY

12211:
28301:
29998:

feos: Judging...
feos: I also compared every room time, from fade in to fade out, and the total length of all room durations in this run is indeed 155 frames less than in the published run. No room is longer, so I have zero concerns about this improvement. Accepting over [3854] PCE Splatterhouse by EZGames69 in 12:12.61.
fsvgm777: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #6916: Samsara & EZGames69's PCE Splatterhouse in 12:10.68
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2120)
Link to video Comparison encode is here, courtesy of EZGames! This is using the TurboNyma resync of the published run, so the final improvement is shown as -155. Plus, it's video proof that the loss in input time isn't a loss of gameplay time. I like video proof. It really helps arguments.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Challenger
He/Him
Skilled player (1637)
How surprising, because I watched the previous run hours ago! This is a solid work. Yes vote.
My homepage --Currently not much motived for TASing as before...-- But I'm still working.
Cyorter
He/Him
Editor, Player (236)
Watching while listening to Camellia oh yes...
xxezrabxxx
He/Him
11/10 submission text
I like to comment on submissions and look around the site. You have probably seen me before (if you have been around for a while) either on the site, Discord, or any other social media. I recently took up making temporary encodes for new submissions. Also, I never forget to greet Tompa wherever I find him! "when resyncing stuff sucks it's called Resuccing" - EZGames69 “If an emulator stops being accepted to the site it should be called an emuLAMEr” - EZGames69 "oh no discord, everything I say will now be logged forever, sdfsdf, time to hide" - Masterjun "just had to give therapy to a taxi with daddy issues" - psx Current Projects: Mother 3 (75% complete)
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Skilled player (1637)
Well, this is something to watch. First mark of excellence is the choreography. If that had no been done, I doubt I would want to watch the entire thing through. Second mark...very clean and optimized game play; however, one spot appears to have a problem...but considering the reputation of Samsara and EZgames, I would like to hear an explanation on the stage with the fire dodging. Maybe I'm not catching something in the write-up, but at 11:03...you pause. Couldn't damage boosting be used to keep moving forward? Anyway...Yes vote to the duo!
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3964)
We just barely make it through the stage with our damage boost route, doing it any earlier would either result in us getting to Hell Chaos slower or we’d take damage right at the end and die.
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Skilled player (1637)
EZGames69 wrote:
We just barely make it through the stage with our damage boost route, doing it any earlier would either result in us getting to Hell Chaos slower or we’d take damage right at the end and die.
Sounds great then.
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2120)
Stage 7 is the most frustrating stage to slide route because the enemies are placed in exactly the right way to be inconvenient to optimal damage boosting. I tried about 10 different ways of going through (on top of the routes taken in the previous runs, of course) and only two of them managed to make it through without dying right at the end. The one in the submission ends up duck-jumping over the final log, so we're going into the auto-walking section 1 subspeed increment slower than we would if we had slid in, but at most this only loses a frame or two, and taking damage later to be able to slide into the cutscene loses much more time than this (my best attempt was 10 frames slower, even with sliding at the end). Also, to clarify more on the input file time and the inability to end input early in this run: Hell Chaos decided it wasn't going to spawn on the optimal side of the screen for the 4th and final cycles. Our way of dealing damage every cycle is starting with a slide then following with two or three punches or kicks, as it minimizes the time spent between attacks. Two punches/kicks before sliding would lead to a time loss, as we can't kick twice in the air and land into a slide, and even if we could it wouldn't save any time anyway. Since we deal 9 damage in the first cycle and Hell Chaos has 40 HP, we only need to deal 7 damage in the final cycle, meaning we can land a kick and immediately input a slide afterward, carrying Rick through and killing the boss with no further input. The problem is that you don't lose control, and Rick isn't invulnerable once the boss dies, and those falling rocks can and absolutely did hit and kill Rick when I tried doing this in this run. Hell Chaos being on the right means the rock placement is different, making it actually impossible to end input early since the slide would always carry Rick to the right side of the screen, where rocks fall. The place where we start the slide in the submission is actually still too far to the right for it to work, which is already way too far to the left to deliver the first hit. We think the spawn side is RNG-dependent (I was completely unable to find a way to manipulate it either within or before the fight), and that's a problem because the only way we (okay, EZGames) found to manipulate RNG is the Necromancer room all the way back in Stage 5, and we got SUPER lucky with the spawn patterns in Stage 6 allowing for a perfect boss fight. Going back to change the RNG would change the spawn patterns in Stage 6 and likely lose us that perfect fight. Since the only side effect of the spawn side is being unable to end input early, we elected to just take the hit (not literally, we would've died) as the gameplay improvement is the same either way. Link to video Oh, and, uh, yeah, it does restart the level if you die after killing the boss. EDIT: Second post has been updated with a comparison encode, which shows off more accurately that the input time is purely an aesthetic loss and not a gameplay loss.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [4321] PCE Splatterhouse by Samsara, EZGames69 in 12:10.68