Submission Text Full Submission Page
Almost perfect glitchless run with warps. There were a couple of times I had to slow down, and World 7-4 was a little bit tricky, but it was amazing besides that.
Warps used. Perfect run, no deaths, no save/reset, 1 character controlled. Attempted to get fastest possible score VS. Super Mario Bros is a game made by Nintendo in 1986. It's like Super Mario Bros but harder and this VS SMB is the arcade version. Doing a TAS was hard at times, especially in World 7-4.

Samsara: Judging #232.
Samsara: Welcome to the site.
As pointed out in this post, there are a number of problems with this run, but I'd like to point out two other major flaw that haven't been brought up in the thread. First: Glitchless is not an acceptable goal for Super Mario Bros 1 submissions. This extends to every possible version of SMB1: Lost Levels, VS, ROM hacks, All Night Nippon, you get the idea. As you can see from the judgement notes on the listed glitchless submissions, the glitches in SMB1 do not drastically change the gameplay enough to warrant separate publications. I don't see us ever accepting a glitchless SMB1 submission, even one that's as highly optimized as one of our published runs.
Second, and along the same lines: I don't consider VS SMB1 to be different enough from SMB1/Lost Levels to warrant publication when we already have both of them published. This is the full set of differences between SMB1 and VS, and most of these changes don't really mean much in the long run. Over half of them aren't even seen in the TAS because of the warps, and whatever IS seen is already in our warpless SMB1 and Lost Levels publications. Any further level layout changes are trivial to the point where they're unnoticeable to casual viewers, or even people like myself who are more intimately familiar with the games.
If I had to give a recommendation that isn't "don't TAS SMB1", it would be to spend more time experimenting with each level. You want to be as fast as possible in every single stage. Compare frame counts between your run and other runs as you go so you're absolutely sure you're never losing time, and go through each stage several times trying new things in order to make absolutely sure that you're using the fastest strategies. Good TASes take time, some published runs have been known to take upwards of years to make and most tend to be done over the course of weeks or even months. Take your time, especially for SMB1, which I'd argue has one of the highest barriers to entry for getting a run on the site. You're going to have to work extremely hard to get an SMB1 run published.
Alternately, don't TAS SMB1. Hone your skills on other games before tackling it again. SMB1 looks simple, but it's surprisingly complex, and a lot has to be accounted for over the course of a run. It's not new TASer friendly. It leads to a lot of false senses of security and a lot of suboptimal, rejected submissions and a lot of people with promise being turned away from the scene because, well... Second time I'm linking this, but we've seen so many SMB1 submissions. So, so many of them. It tends to make us a little unnecessarily harsh when we see new ones. At the end of the day, we don't want to turn people away. We want the community to grow, we want to take new members under our wings and teach them a craft that some of us have been doing and enjoying for over a decade now.
Some people take their submissions getting rejected personally, and I want to make it clear that the community is always judging the submission itself, not the TASer. We point things out about the submission to help the TASer improve by letting them know what to look out for in their future works. Some people start off fairly weakly, missing things they should have seen during their submission-making processes, but later go on to make easily some of the best TASes on the site and win site awards just by sticking around the community and continuing to work. That's the beautiful thing about TASing, really. It's incredibly accessible, meaning the next great TASer can be literally anyone making their first submission, regardless of whether or not it's accepted.
I do hope you keep trying and stick around the community. You can post on the forums (direct link to the SMB1 thread) or join our Discord to gather feedback and support for your next submission, or just hang back for now and watch our other runs to get a feel for the craft. For now, though, I have to reject this submission for suboptimal play and bad goal choice.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Emulator Coder, Judge, Experienced player (595)
> glitchless > Attempted to get fastest possible score ??? So why glitchless? I really don't see how forgoing any SMB glitch actually makes the TAS more enjoyable. Although I'll refrain from voting until an encode is up.
CasualPokePlayer wrote:
> glitchless > Attempted to get fastest possible score ??? So why glitchless? I really don't see how forgoing any SMB glitch actually makes the TAS more enjoyable. Although I'll refrain from voting until an encode is up.
Well I TASed this game without glitches and with warps because as far as I know no one else has done a TAS like this before.
double pickaxe
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2120)
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
Well I TASed this game without glitches and with warps because as far as I know no one else has done a TAS like this before.
Counting at least 3 here. EDIT: Disregard this, I was counting normal SMB glitchless submissions.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
xxezrabxxx
He/Him
Link to video Still processing HD as of posting, so be patient. It's in HD now Author note: You can edit the submission text to add the encode
I like to comment on submissions and look around the site. You have probably seen me before (if you have been around for a while) either on the site, Discord, or any other social media. I recently took up making temporary encodes for new submissions. Also, I never forget to greet Tompa wherever I find him! "when resyncing stuff sucks it's called Resuccing" - EZGames69 “If an emulator stops being accepted to the site it should be called an emuLAMEr” - EZGames69 "oh no discord, everything I say will now be logged forever, sdfsdf, time to hide" - Masterjun "just had to give therapy to a taxi with daddy issues" - psx Current Projects: Mother 3 (75% complete)
Samsara wrote:
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
Counting at least 3 here.
Oh. Well i only saw 1 vs smb tas but that one was with glitches, the 1 i made probably was the first glitchless/warps one. Edit by feos: Enable BBCode in your posts please, otherwise quotes don't work.
double pickaxe
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Samsara wrote:
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
Counting at least 3 here.
Two of the three links to VS Mario TASes are literally this submission. The other one is #5564: KnucklesMaster368's NES VS. Super Mario Bros. "warps" in 10:14.92 . Apparently VS Mario is different from normal Mario in that there is only one warp pipe to World 6 instead of warp pipes to Worlds 6-8, and some other level arrangements. Also, the encode lacks sound for some reason.
xxezrabxxx
He/Him
I believe it does because I left it off to due to sounding annoying when at 800% speed, I can redo it
I like to comment on submissions and look around the site. You have probably seen me before (if you have been around for a while) either on the site, Discord, or any other social media. I recently took up making temporary encodes for new submissions. Also, I never forget to greet Tompa wherever I find him! "when resyncing stuff sucks it's called Resuccing" - EZGames69 “If an emulator stops being accepted to the site it should be called an emuLAMEr” - EZGames69 "oh no discord, everything I say will now be logged forever, sdfsdf, time to hide" - Masterjun "just had to give therapy to a taxi with daddy issues" - psx Current Projects: Mother 3 (75% complete)
Samsara
She/They
FractalFusion wrote:
Apparently VS Mario is different from normal Mario in that there is only one warp pipe to World 6 instead of warp pipes to Worlds 6-8, and some other level arrangements.
Yeah, that's my mistake. Wasn't aware that VS was significantly different from normal until after making that post. The three submissions I mentioned were the three explicitly labelled glitchless SMB submissions.
warmCabin wrote:
Player (236)
So first of all, I found this run to be considerably less entertaining than any published SMB run. You could have easily killed more enemies and/or collected more coins at various places. Next, I think glitchless just make things more boring compared to glitched. Finally, I noticed many suboptimal sections in this run, including: *Not using fast acceleration in many places (maybe you're considering that to be a glitch, but the RTA community for SMB1 considers fast acceleration to be an intended mechanic) *Not grabbing the mushroom and fireflower to speed up the Bowser fights *Slow jumping movement while climbing the vine in 4-2 *Slowing down at the end of 6-1 for seemingly no reason *Grabbing the bottom of the flagpole in 6-2 *Using the springboard in 6-3 *Lag frames in 7-1 *Going through a 1-block-wide gap and slowing down in 7-2 *Getting fireworks in 7-3 *Bonking on a wall instead of clearing it while preserving speed and other unnessesary slowdowns in 7-4 *Suboptimal movement around the goombas and the wall in 8-1 *Suboptimal movement around the tall pipe in 8-2 *Bouncing on the paratroopa instead of jumping on the hidden block with running speed then bonking on the pipe in 8-4 See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SjkKYmRQhE for a much more optimized and entertaining TAS. Although it is glitched, many of its strategies still apply in glitchless. So no vote.
xxezrabxxx
He/Him
I saved 6 frames in 1-1 during the underground section, so it's already a bad sign
Player (236)
I was able to save 10 frames in 1-1, and without using fast acceleration, which is enough to save a framerule.
xxezrabxxx
He/Him
Gonna be honest here, when I was encoding it, even at 800% speed I knew this thing was going into the dump.
xxezrabxxx
He/Him
Also, I heard that this version of smb1 didn't have framerules
Site Admin, Skilled player (1235)
xxezrabxxx wrote:
I knew this thing was going into the dump.
I guess this warning is for you as well.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Samsara
She/They
feos wrote:
xxezrabxxx wrote:
I knew this thing was going into the dump.
I guess this warning is for you as well.
Even without the prior warnings, it's still an unnecessarily harsh thing to say to a new member. If people want to pretend to be staff so bad, they could at least be helpful and encouraging like we are.
warmCabin wrote:
xxezrabxxx
He/Him
Well then in that case, I apologize for being rude.
Hey dasmilekat, Chill this is literally my first official TAS. I can explain everything you wrote 1) Explain to me why you need a mushroom/fireflower to speed up the fights 2) I can't do it any faster, that's literally my best 4-2 right there 3) I had to slow down at the end of 6-1 because if i didn't i'd hit the koopa 4) I couldn't get the top of the flagpole in 6-2 so this was the next best thing. 5) I didn't know that using the springboard for 6-3 was better 6) I don't control lag 7) What other way was I supposed to go? 8) I thought the whole jumping many times was as fast. Also 7-4 in this game is a bitch. 9 and 10) What do you mean suboptimal? That was the fastest I could do it. 11) What other way was i supposed to?
double pickaxe
xxezrabxxx
He/Him
Submissions are meant to showcase runs when they are completely optimized. Many runs go through multiple drafts before submission Killing Bowser with fire skips the bridge collapse animation during the castles, this is done in the Warpless runs of SMB1 A fully optimized run is created from testing every possibility, comparing to previous runs or drafts, looking for new strats, in-depth research of the game. If there is any other possible way, then you should try it out and see what’s faster. A TAS needs to be crafted with patience and contains many trial and error along the way. I did manage to do a few levels faster than you, and I am terrible at TASing this game. I am trying to be nice, because I was initially harsh, and should have known better. SMB1 related submissions are one of the hardest to be published, as this game has been done to death over the past decade. Maybe you can have others help you out with the run to completely optimize it. For now, I would recommend cancelling until you can come up with something better. We all had to start somewhere, and the more you do it, the better you get. Moderator Edit: Final warning stop backseat staffing.
xxezrabxxx wrote:
Submissions are meant to showcase runs when they are completely optimized. Many runs go through multiple drafts before submission Killing Bowser with fire skips the bridge collapse animation during the castles, this is done in the Warpless runs of SMB1 A fully optimized run is created from testing every possibility, comparing to previous runs or drafts, looking for new strats, in-depth research of the game. If there is any other possible way, then you should try it out and see what’s faster. A TAS needs to be crafted with patience and contains many trial and error along the way. I did manage to do a few levels faster than you, and I am terrible at TASing this game. I am trying to be nice, because I was initially harsh, and should have known better. SMB1 related submissions are one of the hardest to be published, as this game has been done to death over the past decade. Maybe you can have others help you out with the run to completely optimize it. For now, I would recommend cancelling until you can come up with something better. We all had to start somewhere, and the more you do it, the better you get. Moderator Edit: Final warning stop backseat staffing.
I'm not cancelling, and I prefer speedrunning by myself.
double pickaxe
Site Admin, Skilled player (1235)
Enable BBCode in your posts please, otherwise quotes don't work.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
feos wrote:
Enable BBCode in your posts please, otherwise quotes don't work.
Ok
double pickaxe
Player (236)
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
Hey dasmilekat, Chill this is literally my first official TAS. I can explain everything you wrote: 1) Explain to me why you need a mushroom/fireflower to speed up the fights
Killing Bowser with fire skips the bridge collapse animation, which saves more time than collecting the powerups loses.
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
2) I can't do it any faster, that's literally my best 4-2 right there
You did not jump the frame you land, and there are probably more improvements beyond that.
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
3) I had to slow down at the end of 6-1 because if i didn't i'd hit the koopa
Jumping from a different step on the staircase would probably solve that problem, and if it couldn't, you'd arrive here with the fireflower in the optimal route anyways.
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
4) I couldn't get the top of the flagpole in 6-2 so this was the next best thing.
As long as the flag stops moving before Mario stops in the pulling the flag down animation, you save time, and I think you're able to do that looking at the staircase.
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
5) I didn't know that using the springboard for 6-3 was better
Springboards force you to spend some time stuck on the springboard, so you should avoid them as much as possible, unless avoiding them loses more time than the springboard loses. In this case, you can avoid the springboard without slowing down at all.
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
6) I don't control lag
Lag count in the final time, so you should try.
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
7) What other way was I supposed to go?
Through the middle path?
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
8) I thought the whole jumping many times was as fast. Also 7-4 in this game is a bitch.
Bonking the wall is usually slower than not bonking because you get to preserve speed. Most of the other slowdowns aren't actually required to progrss further into the level, and I think you encountered a glitch in which you loop despite being in the correct path.
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
9 and 10) What do you mean suboptimal? That was the fastest I could do it.
For 8-1, I think you could have landed a bit earlier after jumping over the goombas. For 8-2, it is faster to land on the left edge of the pipe, and then jump again, instead of doing one big jump over it.
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
11) What other way was i supposed to?
You can only reach the top of the hidden coin block if you start jumping with running speed, so you jump with running speed after you activate the hidden block. But you'd be too far right to land on the hidden coin block just by holding left to slow down, so you bonk on the pipe which stops you immediately and allows you to move left onto the invisible coin block.
DaSmileKat wrote:
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
Hey dasmilekat, Chill this is literally my first official TAS. I can explain everything you wrote: 1) Explain to me why you need a mushroom/fireflower to speed up the fights
Killing Bowser with fire skips the bridge collapse animation, which saves more time than collecting the powerups loses.
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
2) I can't do it any faster, that's literally my best 4-2 right there
You did not jump the frame you land, and there are probably more improvements beyond that.
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
3) I had to slow down at the end of 6-1 because if i didn't i'd hit the koopa
Jumping from a different step on the staircase would probably solve that problem, and if it couldn't, you'd arrive here with the fireflower in the optimal route anyways.
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
4) I couldn't get the top of the flagpole in 6-2 so this was the next best thing.
As long as the flag stops moving before Mario stops in the pulling the flag down animation, you save time, and I think you're able to do that looking at the staircase.
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
5) I didn't know that using the springboard for 6-3 was better
Springboards force you to spend some time stuck on the springboard, so you should avoid them as much as possible, unless avoiding them loses more time than the springboard loses. In this case, you can avoid the springboard without slowing down at all.
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
6) I don't control lag
Lag count in the final time, so you should try.
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
7) What other way was I supposed to go?
Through the middle path?
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
8) I thought the whole jumping many times was as fast. Also 7-4 in this game is a bitch.
Bonking the wall is usually slower than not bonking because you get to preserve speed. Most of the other slowdowns aren't actually required to progrss further into the level, and I think you encountered a glitch in which you loop despite being in the correct path.
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
9 and 10) What do you mean suboptimal? That was the fastest I could do it.
For 8-1, I think you could have landed a bit earlier after jumping over the goombas. For 8-2, it is faster to land on the left edge of the pipe, and then jump again, instead of doing one big jump over it.
Double_Pickaxe_YT wrote:
11) What other way was i supposed to?
You can only reach the top of the hidden coin block if you start jumping with running speed, so you jump with running speed after you activate the hidden block. But you'd be too far right to land on the hidden coin block just by holding left to slow down, so you bonk on the pipe which stops you immediately and allows you to move left onto the invisible coin block.
I made a new TAS with everything you suggested, and it somehow a whole 1.8 seconds slower despite a 10 second timesave in World 7-4. I don't even know how that works.
double pickaxe
xxezrabxxx
He/Him
Can you send your input file then?