(Link to video)
Before submitting this run I've read previous discussions about "1 player" category in "Run and shoot" games such as Contra, how it's too similar to 2 player run and slower. Since then i saw that in Super C "1 player" category was allowed. So I decided to submit this run. I should give credits to Mars608 & aiqiyou, analysing their 2p run allowed me to get better at the game. And also give credits to Genisto, I compared my run to his and used (modified) some of his strategies.

arkiandruski: Judging.
arkiandruski: File replaced with 24 frame improvement per author request
arkiandruski: This run has good feedback and support. Accepting as a new branch.
fsvgm777: Processing. Samsara is handling the encodes for this one.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #7018: alex_ik's NES Contra "1 player" in 08:49.44
xxezrabxxx
He/Him
I liked it. Found it entertaining to see a 1 player TAS. I don't know too much about optimization in this game so maybe somebody knowledgeable about Contra might raise a few concerns about that. Besides that, I'm gonna give this a Yes vote.
I like to comment on submissions and look around the site. You have probably seen me before (if you have been around for a while) either on the site, Discord, or any other social media. I recently took up making temporary encodes for new submissions. Also, I never forget to greet Tompa wherever I find him! "when resyncing stuff sucks it's called Resuccing" - EZGames69 “If an emulator stops being accepted to the site it should be called an emuLAMEr” - EZGames69 "oh no discord, everything I say will now be logged forever, sdfsdf, time to hide" - Masterjun "just had to give therapy to a taxi with daddy issues" - psx Current Projects: Mother 3 (75% complete)
Player (236)
Yes vote, decently entertaining and would also serve as a comparison for RTA runs.
XYZ
Former player
Yes vote. Lone ranger can be good fighter.
GamesFan2000
He/Him
I'm going to say yes. While 2 player is indeed faster and similar to this, the main RTA category is 1 player, so I think this should be accepted. And there's also the fact that Super C has a 1 player TAS published, so there's a precedent for this.
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2120)
Claiming for encoding.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Reviewer, Active player (276)
Looking at the history for this game, it seems that the 2 player run obsoleted the 1 player run when it first came on the site. What about this run makes it worth undoing that? Speedrun leaderboards really aren't convincing. We have said multiple times that we use different criteria for what we accept.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1235)
That was a pre-Moons obsoletion, and these days 1p and 2p co-exist fine in a lot of games.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Former player
arkiandruski wrote:
Looking at the history for this game, it seems that the 2 player run obsoleted the 1 player run when it first came on the site. What about this run makes it worth undoing that? Speedrun leaderboards really aren't convincing. We have said multiple times that we use different criteria for what we accept.
As I've written in the submission's description it based on NES Super C precedent. Does this run worth it ? I guess it's not for me to decide.
Samsara
She/They
At the end of the day, branching comes down to audience reaction more than anything. Given that this movie's been quite well-received so far, I see no issue with having it be a separate branch (especially with Super C setting the precedent in the exact same way).
warmCabin wrote:
Former player
If this run will be accepted I request to replace it with this 24 frames improvement http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/69667378779438943 .
xxezrabxxx
He/Him
alex_ik wrote:
If this run will be accepted I request to replace it with this 24 frames improvement http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/69667378779438943 .
Here’s a temp encode for the improvement Link to video
I like to comment on submissions and look around the site. You have probably seen me before (if you have been around for a while) either on the site, Discord, or any other social media. I recently took up making temporary encodes for new submissions. Also, I never forget to greet Tompa wherever I find him! "when resyncing stuff sucks it's called Resuccing" - EZGames69 “If an emulator stops being accepted to the site it should be called an emuLAMEr” - EZGames69 "oh no discord, everything I say will now be logged forever, sdfsdf, time to hide" - Masterjun "just had to give therapy to a taxi with daddy issues" - psx Current Projects: Mother 3 (75% complete)
Samsara
She/They
warmCabin wrote:
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [4409] NES Contra (Japan) "1 player" by alex_ik in 08:49.44