This is Lucky Luke's 4th TAS on GBC, I personally thought I wouldn't have to touch this game anymore, but an improvement was observed during the fight against Billy the Kid.

Objectives

• Emulator used : BizHawk 2.2.1 (Yes I started my TAS a while ago and on an old emulator version)
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Take damage to save time
  • Uses the hardest difficulty
  • Genre: plateform

Main improvement

After watching LoS's RTA WR, I noticed a comment that claimed to be able to shoot Billy the Kid multiple times in 1 cycle. Even though I thought I had tested this possibility, I could not believe it but after testing again, it seems that there is indeed a 6 frames window where the boss can still be hit. So, I thank SKATERAD420 for finding this improvement. I will also have to improve the 100% TAS but not immediately.

Stage by stage comments

Nothing Gulch

I don't know where I could lose 4 frames but probably a difference with the emulation?

Diligence/Bisons/Ranch/Rapids/Tornado

Nothing change

Painful Gulch

I lost 1 frame but don't know what is the cause

Train

Killing Billy the Kid in one cycle saved me it seems, ~390 frames.

Saloon/Cheyenne/Jail

Optimization in movements

Steppe

Using a different strategy for taking damage in the area where I need to get the potion. The old strategy was to wait for the snake to let me into the tunnel and allow me to lose a heart on the second wall to explode. The new strategy is to take the damage directly from the snake and dodge the dynamite explosion field when the 2 walls are exploded. Still dashing to the left and putting the dynamite down at the first available frame to explode the wall, Lucky Luke would have taken damage, which would have killed me. But by stopping running for 2 frames and putting the dynamite on the next frame, it allows Lucky Luke to be positioned at a specific area on the x-axis that prevents me from taking damage from the explosion. and at the same time allows me to break the second wall. This allowed me to save ~50 frames.

Level by level frame saved

I consider the entrance of the level to be the first frame where we have Lucky Luke in the level and the end of the level the first frame where Lucky Luke raises his arm in the air.
Whether it is in the navigation in the menu to choose the difficulty, during certain levels or between levels, I noticed that I could lose 1, 2 or even 3 frames. Is this due to the accuracy of the emulator? It's possible. For example, in Nothing Gulch as well as Painful Gulch, I lost 2 frames in each of them, in the diligence level I did not have a loss. It's weird.
Level Frame gain(+)/lost(-)Total savedComment
Nothing Gulch (Entrance)-30Emulation's accuracy ?
Nothing Gulch (End)-20Emulation's accuracy ?
Diligence (Entrance)-20Emulation's accuracy ?
Diligence (End)00No time saved during the level
Painful Gulch (Entrance)-10Emulation's accuracy ?
Painful Gulch (End)-20Emulation's accuracy ?
Train (Entrance)-30Emulation's accuracy ?
Train (End)377377Kill the boss in 1 cycle
Saloon (Entrance)-1376Emulation's accuracy ?
Saloon (End)16392Better movements
Steppe (Entrance)-3389Emulation's accuracy ?
Steppe (End)50439Best strategy for taking damage
Bisons (Entrance)-2437Emulation's accuracy ?
Bisons (End)0437No time saved during the level
Ranch (Entrance)-1436Emulation's accuracy ?
Ranch (End)0436No time saved during the level
Rapids (Entrance)-3433Emulation's accuracy ?
Rapids (End)0433No time saved during the level
Cheyenne (Entrance)-2431Emulation's accuracy ?
Cheyenne (End)10441Better movements
Tornado (Entrance)-2439Emulation's accuracy ?
Tornado (End)0439No time saved during the level
Jail (Entrance)-2437Emulation's accuracy ?
Jail (End)4441Better movements

Screenshot

feos: Judging...
fsvgm777: Processing. EZGames69 is handling the encodes for this one.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #7041: TheKDX7's GBC Lucky Luke in 24:08.34
xxezrabxxx
He/Him
720p encode I just uploaded it so it will be a while before it is available to watch. I'm posting this in advance because I am tired and want to go to sleep. Link to video
I like to comment on submissions and look around the site. You have probably seen me before (if you have been around for a while) either on the site, Discord, or any other social media. I recently took up making temporary encodes for new submissions. Also, I never forget to greet Tompa wherever I find him! "when resyncing stuff sucks it's called Resuccing" - EZGames69 “If an emulator stops being accepted to the site it should be called an emuLAMEr” - EZGames69 "oh no discord, everything I say will now be logged forever, sdfsdf, time to hide" - Masterjun "just had to give therapy to a taxi with daddy issues" - psx Current Projects: Mother 3 (75% complete)
Emulator Coder, Judge, Experienced player (595)
http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/69909855521277011 I've re-synced this movie to 2.6.1 with an official BIOS (which is apparently not present in this TAS?). The movie mostly synced fine save for adding frames to account for the BIOS and slightly different loads (the latter mostly being a result of me turning Equal Length Frames off, since that caused weird lag to appear in one of the levels, otherwise the loads are mostly identical). Here's an encode of this resync: Link to video
xxezrabxxx
He/Him
Nice, if this gets accepeted we could console-verify it!
I like to comment on submissions and look around the site. You have probably seen me before (if you have been around for a while) either on the site, Discord, or any other social media. I recently took up making temporary encodes for new submissions. Also, I never forget to greet Tompa wherever I find him! "when resyncing stuff sucks it's called Resuccing" - EZGames69 “If an emulator stops being accepted to the site it should be called an emuLAMEr” - EZGames69 "oh no discord, everything I say will now be logged forever, sdfsdf, time to hide" - Masterjun "just had to give therapy to a taxi with daddy issues" - psx Current Projects: Mother 3 (75% complete)
Skilled player (1650)
De mieux en mieux!
TheKDX7
He/Him
Player (115)
£e Nécroyeur wrote:
De mieux en mieux!
Merci beaucoup !
ViGadeomes
He/Him
Judge, Active player (303)
Good movie and improvement over your previous TAS, I really liked the entertainement you put in the autoscrollers. Sadly, there is too much of them and I have to put a "meh" vote. Great job on the game anyway. Looking forward to see the improved 100%. But if possible, be sure to make it and next submissions to a more recent version of BizHawk with the GBC BIOS enabled (The best would be 2.6.1 in GBA mode to permit console verification of your movie). Note : in your level table, I think you made a mistake by adding the 13 frames lost of the first levels to your total saved at the line of the "Train (end)". The total saved column can count frames lost from the first levels as well to avoid mistakes.
TheKDX7
He/Him
Player (115)
ViGadeomes wrote:
Good movie and improvement over your previous TAS, I really liked the entertainement you put in the autoscrollers. Sadly, there is too much of them and I have to put a "meh" vote. Great job on the game anyway. Looking forward to see the improved 100%. But if possible, be sure to make it and next submissions to a more recent version of BizHawk with the GBC BIOS enabled (The best would be 2.6.1 in GBA mode to permit console verification of your movie). Note : in your level table, I think you made a mistake by adding the 13 frames lost of the first levels to your total saved at the line of the "Train (end)". The total saved column can count frames lost from the first levels as well to avoid mistakes.
Thanks for your feedback and I'll make sure I'm up to date with the emulator version for the "100%" category. I unfortunately also started working on the game Taz-Mania on Gameboy which will use this old version of BizHawk ... And yes, thanks for pointing this out to me, so it's an improvement of 441 frames instead of 454.
TiKevin83
He/Him
Ambassador, Moderator, Site Developer, Player (119)
We actually were able to verify this with a resync, still need to make a yt upload for it. As to the movie entertainment, it looks polished as a TAS and there are some funny elements with everyone losing their pants when they get shot, but it gets old kinda quick. Overall mostly just impressed by the dedication to improving the TAS.
TheKDX7
He/Him
Player (115)
TiKevin83 wrote:
We actually were able to verify this with a resync, still need to make a yt upload for it. As to the movie entertainment, it looks polished as a TAS and there are some funny elements with everyone losing their pants when they get shot, but it gets old kinda quick. Overall mostly just impressed by the dedication to improving the TAS.
It's quite difficult to renew yourself to entertain by doing different movements I try to do the best to make the levels in autoscroll different from my old TAS. Anyway, thank you for your comment and I hope you like the improvement in the "100%" category too.
Emulator Coder, Judge, Experienced player (595)
I have mostly the same thoughts as Tikevin. The movie is pretty well done, and even the autoscrollers have significant work for entertainment. It does get somewhat old, but it still kept my attention throughout the movie. Overall, I have to give it a Yes vote.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Since this movie has already been resynced to use the BIOS, I suggest replacing this submission with that movie. I verified that all level durations are identical in the resync CasualPokePlayer posted, and fluctuations in loading times compensate each other by the end of the movie, aside from a single frame that the resync is "ahead" due to shorter loading around 70k frames in.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
TheKDX7?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
TiKevin83
He/Him
Ambassador, Moderator, Site Developer, Player (119)
Console verification of this TAS in the meantime: Link to video
TheKDX7
He/Him
Player (115)
feos wrote:
TheKDX7?
Sorry for the delay, you can actually replace the file with the one from CasualPokePlayer
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3967)
Claiming this for encoding
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3967)
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [4430] GBC Lucky Luke by TheKDX7 in 24:08.34