(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
*barging into the room* what day is it?? it's still april fools right?? shit uhhh, whatever publish it anyway

Objectives

• Play Super Mario Bros. but not
  • It's kinda like Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour if Mario was the golf ball and you could hit him in mid-air
  • Do something quick and easy since I missed april fools
  • Say Hi to Toad from a socially acceptable distance
  • Get lots of views and money

Gameplay

In this game, Mario can be launched while on the ground. You do this by clicking and dragging on him, and releasing the mouse in the opposite direction of where you want him to go.
Astute viewers may notice that Mario is being launched while in the air. The game attempts to prevent this by determining if Mario is on the ground, but it erroneously believes that Mario is on the ground for a frame or two at the peak of his launch. This allows us to remain in the air which is generally much faster, as landing on the ground causes lots of speed loss (usually).
Level transitions can be skipped by pressing space which I definitely knew when I started this and didn't have to go back and remove my funny end of level cutscenes where I managed to get Mario to roll off the screen entirely which nobody will ever see because I overwrote the file.
Input ends with the launch before the weird maze of invisible blocks at the end of 1-4, which requires a frame perfect launch to get the perfect trajectory to allow Mario to roll into Toad. There are lots of invisible blocks and they have collision from all sides meaning it was very hard to find a trajectory that could get through the invisible blocks, much less cross the gap and then go high enough at the end to land on the axe's platform and then roll down to reach Toad. The only other hard launch was the one into the pipe in 1-2 which used a cool strat to slide off the floating platforms originally but it desynced when fixing the level cutscenes which made me sad :( please donate all your money to me so I feel better
Also yes, 1-4 is the end of the demo, there's nothing past this point.

Optimization

This is definitely completely 100% optimized. I have spent years crafting this. This is the perfect TAS.
Jokes aside, I think there's some frames to save in 1-1 and input could probably end a little earlier in 1-4 but I'm happy with the final result.
Apr 3 Edit: with the improvement I just submitted, I'm pretty happy with the optimization. I don't think there's much left to squeeze out of this unless you brute forced perfect angles for every launch.

Final Notes

Sorry for being late to april fool's lol, hope it's not too annoying :)
Shoutouts to Aidan.#4241 on the Stabyourself.net discord for making this game, you can download it there. Sorry for not showing any of the cool parts of the game (the floating platforms rotate when you land on them, goomba corpses always exist, everything has a death animation, etc etc.) Here's an invite to the server and a link to the post.
I forgot to include annotations but this runs on LÖVE 0.10.2 which is available via the LÖVE PPA for Ubuntu 15.04 to 17.04. (Ubuntu's packages and versioning system has always confused me.)
Thank you to Zinfidel for helping me fix the YouTube encoding issues that have plagued me for ages

feos: Judging...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #7087: lexikiq's Linux Unknown Game "Demo" in 00:36.62
EZGames69
He/They
Publisher, Reviewer, Expert player (3966)
SPEEN
[14:15] <feos> WinDOES what DOSn't 12:33:44 PM <Mothrayas> "I got an oof with my game!" Mothrayas Today at 12:22: <Colin> thank you for supporting noble causes such as my feet MemoryTAS Today at 11:55 AM: you wouldn't know beauty if it slapped you in the face with a giant fish [Today at 4:51 PM] Mothrayas: although if you like your own tweets that's the online equivalent of sniffing your own farts and probably tells a lot about you as a person MemoryTAS Today at 7:01 PM: But I exert big staff energy honestly lol Samsara Today at 1:20 PM: wouldn't ACE in a real life TAS just stand for Actually Cease Existing
Editor, Experienced player (608)
"I'll try spinning, that's a good trick!" -Anakin -Mario
Post subject: Improvement
lexikiq
She/Her
Active player (393)
Improvement! Saved 0.9s by going through 1-2 (originally thought it would've been too slow to avoid the koopa but I was wrong) and ended input a few frames earlier. Unfortunately I couldn't get Mario to say hi to toad, so I included a TAS for encoding which greets toad. There might still be a few small frames to save from better angles but I'm very happy with this final result :) I expect this to be in star tier by the end of the day /s
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Please post a movie with full annotations included.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Also I couldn't find any info about this game at all. Is it available anywhere in any form?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
lexikiq
She/Her
Active player (393)
no it isn't, it's just a small fan game from the stabyourself.net server that's still very far from creation, i'm just gonna cancel this as it was for april fools and no way in hell it's getting accepted anywhere lol
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech!