Submission Text Full Submission Page

Final Fantasy (J) new stairs glitch TAS

• As fast as possible
  • corrupts memory
  • Executes arbitrary code

Stairs glitch:

As stated in the previous submission, certain staircases in Final Fantasy push a state on to the stack to keep track of where you have gone. If you go up/down enough, you can overflow the stack. Hitting start to bring up the menu triggers a glitch that jumps into a range of memory that's used when entering the names of your characters. There aren't a lot of staircases that use this but one of them is right where you start, in the castle. For a full explanation see the forum discussion of the previous submission.

How to use the glitch

There are many ways to beat the game with this glitch. One way is to jump right to the credits by jumping to the memory of the item list. However, it has to be set up a certain way for this and even with underflow glitches it still takes a while (about 20 minutes).
Another interesting but much longer way involves gaining access to the final dungeon with the glitch, and completing it. The stairs glitch can corrupt the thief's level to 103. At that level most normal enemies flee and bosses flee about 2/3 of the time. It takes close to half an hour but that still beats the USA any% TAS by over 20 minutes.
The method used in the previous submission first uses the same level corruption trick. A second glitch causes the next NPC (directly to the left of the stairs) to trigger the final boss fight vs Chaos. The new method used in this submission, found by pirohiko, has a set of names that jump to the end from a different set of instructions, and only requires 32 stair climbs instead of 70. However, you do have to enter the menu before the 32nd stair.
Thanks to pirohiko for finding the route used here. Also, normally, you would need to have your 4th character as a white mage. This time, though, you can keep it at the default, just put the right name.

Samsara: Unfortunately, this run has been bested.
Samsara: Bit late on this, but replacing the file with Spike's conversion/improvement.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Previous movie for context: [2816] NES Final Fantasy "stairs glitch" by TheAxeMan, Inzult & Gyre in 06:58.24 Writing that this is based on an RTA run completed a week ago. So this leaves a major question. Is there a better string of text that can be used to jump to the end faster, and is there a "game end glitch" variant that can obsolete this category? Author actually has an encode: Link to video ---- Edit: Converted it to BizHawk, cleaned up the input (nuked the rerecord count), saved 5 frames and requesting co-author. - 2 frames from reboot (1 frame is free cause BizHawk). - 1 frame on a character name (Red Mage). - 1 frame for late input. And no idea where frame 5 comes from.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Player (50)
Wow, I was not expecting that... I use FCEUX 2.3.0 because of the accuracy. I know that the sound is more or less the same for FF1 in BizHawk, but FCEUX gives me more audio information for frame advance.
DJ Incendration Believe in Michael Girard and every speedrunner and TASer!
Player (50)
Oh, also, I accept the request. Would I edit the submission and add you to the authors box?
Bigbass
He/Him
The updated movie from Spikestuff verifies on console: Link to video
TAS Verifications | Mastodon | Github | Discord: @bigbass
Player (50)
I don't know how I'd update this, but I think it's a good change.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Spikestuff wrote:
Is there a better string of text that can be used?
Turns out there might just be. Coming from the Japanese TASers who are still looking into it. pirohiko may have found something related to faster name entries so-- welcome to the eventual frame war I guess. This has come as a "this came out relatively quickly after the RTA record was approved" kind of comment... which isn't the first time something like this has happened where a new strat was found and a TAS with no refinement or exploration was submitted not even a month after discovery.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Player (50)
Spikestuff wrote:
Spikestuff wrote:
Turns out there might just be. Coming from the Japanese TASers who are still looking into it. pirohiko may have found something related to faster name entries so-- welcome to the eventual frame war I guess. This has come as a "this came out relatively quickly after the RTA record was approved" kind of comment... which isn't the first time something like this has happened where a new strat was found and a TAS with no refinement or exploration was submitted not even a month after discovery.
I actually couldn't find anything else to improve this one, even after the 5 frames.
nymx
He/Him
Editor, Judge, Skilled player (1637)
This kind of submission is very interesting. I first got interested in these type of glitched runs, when Super Metroid was heavily exploited. Its nice to see other games perform the same kind of "End Credits"? Its funny that this run comes shortly after I got certified in CompTia's Security +...where they teach you tricks to avoid buffer overflows. This is an example of what would happen when you don't take in consideration, the effects in memory for handling the tracking of where you are. Just imagine the potential access to company applications, if something was discovered in the same lines. Yes vote.
I recently discovered that if you haven't reached a level of frustration with TASing any game, then you haven't done your due diligence. ---- SOYZA: Are you playing a game? NYMX: I'm not playing a game, I'm TASing. SOYZA: Oh...so its not a game...Its for real? ---- Anybody got a Quantum computer I can borrow for 20 minutes? Nevermind...eien's 64 core machine will do. :) ---- BOTing will be the end of all games. --NYMX
The visual gameplay in the movie can hardly be called entertaining, as it's walking up and down stairs (with annoying music to boot), with an extremely sudden end. The one virtue of that end is that comes quickly, I suppose. This is completely ignoring the technical side of things, of course.
Player (50)
The other good thing is that it's only 32 instead of 70 stair climbs, and only one set instead of 2.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Spikestuff wrote:
Spikestuff wrote:
This has come as a "this came out relatively quickly after the RTA record was approved" kind of comment... which isn't the first time something like this has happened where a new strat was found and a TAS with no refinement or exploration was submitted not even a month after discovery.
The answer was a non-shocking... Yes: #7120: AmaizumiUni, Spikestuff & DJ Incendration's NES Final Fantasy "game end glitch" in 01:36.47
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom