• Aims for fastest time
  • One player controlls 2 characters
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Manipulates luck
  • Genre: Platform
  • Genre: Shooter
This submission is something I whipped up in a couple of days because I got tired of waiting for Phil and Genisto's SNES version of the game.
Used gens_movie_test9c.exe to create this run. If the run desyncs with your favorit settings, try switching both controllers to 6 buttons since that was used to create this run.
First of all, this game is NOT an auto scroller game. It just scrolls slowley when the characters walk forward. I've tried to make it as interesting as possible, as fast as possible.
Now.. For the real stuff. This is a very pruned version from the original arcade version. This game contains name swaps on some bosses, such as Poco Loco (which in this game appears as level 2 boss). It also contains some other dialog boxes when the bosses talk. Also, the Genesis version only has the two characters Cormano and Billy.
The game features great music and graphics. Awesome guns blazing, dynamite exploding, falling rocks and dangerous arrows.
Some more details then?
Damage can be avoided by sliding or jump and grab a ledge or balcony. If you press down and jump at the same time, the command for jump down from a building will be executed, even when there is nothing to jump down from. This allows me to avoid getting hurt.
I don't grab the second gun with Billy since I think it won't look good due to all those missed shots.
I don't grab the stars because I don't wanna end up in bonus levels which will only give me more useless points. I only go for extra points in special occations to make more things happend during the run. More like a show off and not a practical thing.
Level 1 - Nothing much to say really. Shooting bandits, getting the necessary upgrades to complete the game a bit more stylish and perhaps faster?
First boss - Simon Greedwell There is some problems with the collision check on those barrels which allows my bullets to go straight thru them and hurt Simon instead. This was taken into play of course. :)
Level 2 - Just one thing to get annoyed over really, which I found no way of completing faster. There are those logs that comes rushing towards you as you travel on the train. You can either jump over them or slide under them. Problem here is that it appears at a very bad situation since I'm between two of the wagons. No way around as I see it.
Second boss - Poco Loco Well.. He get's his share of bullets through his body. Rather fast as well I must say.
Level 3 - Filled with annoying indians, or native americans if you will, shooting fire arrows and dropping large boulders at you. They also have a very cool cableway which leads to the chief! :D
Third boss - Cheif Scalpen DOES HE REALLY HAVE TO BOUNCE AROUND LIKE THAT? Highly irritating. And just as I'm about to put a bullet through his head and paint the ground with a lovley red touch, his bloody sister comes and hinder me! He'll better watch his back. I don't like people throwing knives at me like that. Bah!
Level 4 - Very action packed level with alot of bandits and a couple of irritating dogs with bad sound fx. Most probable this level will be the most fun to watch due to alot of shooting.
Fourth boss - Sir Richard Rose He got his name 10 years ago when I leashed his sorry butt, made it all rosy. BWAHAHA! He get's badly burned this time as well. He shoulden't play around with dynamite like that. Someone could get hurt.
After this you'll get to witness one of the top 10 worst endings ever.
The making of this run was surprisingly easy. As you notice I haven't used that many re-records. Sure.. I bumped into alot of desyncs during the road, so I had to redo alot of stuff. But well solved in the final GMV. ;)
Thats all from me.
Hope you enjoyed this run. Cheers!

Truncated: Due to good votes and feedback, accepting and enqueueing for encoding.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #669: Highness's Genesis Sunset Riders in 10:27.15
pretty nice, gonna go with yes for this one
Active player (410)
Why you have done it on Genesis? Genesis sucks. Snes is a lot better. I am voting no because of that.
Player (70)
Just because I'm not familare with the SNES version. I own the cartridge for Genesis and I thought it was fun to make it since I'm much more familare with that.
Wow, this is a heavily butchered version of the arcade game. There are about half the bosses and the level layouts got changed for the worse. Still, I found this run entertaining. There was both synchronized movement and independent movement, which is always a plus. I have a few questions before I vote yes. In the third stage, right before the boss, is it possible to jump off the mine carts to reach the boss more quickly? IIRC, Cormano's shotgun bullets could go through the Indian boss's guard if he was at point blank range. Did you try this out? Why isn't Cormano shooting at the last boss very often? Seeing this version of the game makes me yearn for a 2 player snes time attack of this game..
Former player
I was surprised by the shortness of the movie until I realized that this translation cuts the game in half. They eliminated several stages and bosses, including the autoscrolling horseback levels. And what's up with all the hostage rescues? Anyway, YES.
Do Not Talk About Feitclub http://www.feitclub.com
Player (70)
mikwuyma wrote:
In the third stage, right before the boss, is it possible to jump off the mine carts to reach the boss more quickly?
No. It's not possible to jump off earlier. Those parts are made automaticly.
IIRC, Cormano's shotgun bullets could go through the Indian boss's guard if he was at point blank range. Did you try this out?
Yes. I did try this out. Scalpen blocks it no matter what. Very annoying.
Why isn't Cormano shooting at the last boss very often?
Because it was faster and easier if Billy did most of the job him self. I only use Cormano when Billy's shoots would went straight through for some mystic reason. Hopes this is answer enough for you.
Yes, thanks for your quick response. Just voted yes.
I enjoyed it, I'm a bit confused as to why they are resucing the same chick 4x, but thats games for ya =P
Player (70)
When I was a kid I thought those chicks were prostitutes.
Well.... the Genesis game seems to have like only half of the levels the SNES has. I won't vote due to this
Bein' away for like five years, and not a single new post in the ZSNES forum... :'-(
Player (70)
I figure it this way. If this movie was any longer on any version it would become very boring. Basicly it's the same thing. Moving forward, turn around for one frame and fire your gun in all directions. Seeing that for another 10-15min would not entertain me much more. Sure, it's cool to see more bosses and how they are taken out extreamly fast. But non the less it would be tedious. I feel that the genesis version is just about right in length, besides the extreamly boring ending.
I will vote Yes for this movie because I think that this game is very fun, and it's 1 player controls 2 characters at the same time (which I find very difficult but really fun to watch.) The bad thing is what Phil said, "it's made in Genesis" :/
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
This movie should be published. Both snes and genesis versions are different enough, and whats more important, i wouldnt bare watching the snes one since its so much longer. I bet a lot of people will just prefer watching this one because it doesnt get repetitive. If there can be nes bt&dd and snes bt&dd, then the site can more than surely have both the genesis and the snes versions of sunset riders published. I know i prefer to watch the genesis one. YES vote.
Player (70)
Oh! It's been a long time since this submission. Didn't notice the last two replies. Thanks Cazlab and FODA for your votes.
Player (80)
This isn't a great game, but it's well-run with decent bug manipulation and isn't long enough to get tedious.
ideamagnate| .seen aqfaq <nothing happens> DK64_MASTER| .seen nesvideoagent * DK64_MASTER slaps forehead
Player (70)
Another YES-vote? Thanks! :D
This game is even more wack than the SNES version. Billy: Alright, ma'am. Cormano: We won't shoot him. Billy: Strike a pose! My only complaint is that Cormano didn't make the Natives didn't go flying down the mountainside... so I voted yes. Good movie.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
This should have been published a long time ago...
Player (70)
Great to hear you guys think so! Thanks for the vote Dromiceius!
Player (61)
Phil wrote:
Why you have done it on Genesis? Genesis sucks. Snes is a lot better. I am voting no because of that.
First, GENESIS ROCKS!!! I think that movie must be judged by its quality technique, and not for the used system. An excellent movie, YES from me.
This was pretty good, but I think it may save a few seconds if both characters do 50% damage to the bosses. If anyone ever works on an improvement, I also think it would be worth getting Billy's second gun if it saves any time. Missed shots do look sloppy, but I don't think that should matter if "fastest time" is the run's primary goal. (Unnecessary missed shots are something else altogether... note the unusual but purposeful shots at nothing in Megafrost's new Metroid Fusion run.) Although the SNES run would probably be preferable, it doesn't exist yet, so I think I'll vote yes on this.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (240)
the snes version isn't preferable, imo, because it is much longer.
The snes version is censored/localized, but has it's advantanges. I think publishing a movie for both systems would be ideal. I still think this movie's pretty good.
Player (70)
Glad you liked it, but it's all up to the judges I think. :)