All right! Finally done with my time attack of GBA Wario Land 4. For a platformer it is surprisingly long. It wasn't long after I started that I realized this was going to be an hour+ time attack. As it is, I got it done in just over an hour.
  • Aims for the fastest possible time
  • Uses no warps (not that there are any)
  • Takes damage in two levels to save time
  • Plays on Normal difficulty
  • Lag reduction is turned off, but I'm not sure that matters as VBA seems to adjust settings on playback
For those who haven't played this game, it's a little different than the last two Wario Land games. Wario is no longer invincible, but that doesn't really matter here :) The game has 18 levels and 6 bosses, divided amongst 6 areas. The goal of each level is to gather the four jewel fragments from all and the Keyzer (a ghost/bird thing that has a key for a beak), set the level's self destruct mechanism, and escape from the level before time runs out. The Keyzer unlocks the door to the next level. The jewels unlock the door to the boss. There is no way to skip any level or boss. All jewels and all Keyzers must be collected.
The reason the game is played on Normal rather than Hard came down to a matter of length. Hard does what you would expect hard to do: it has more enemies, tougher enemies, and lower time limits. However, it also drastically alters the position of the four jewel fragments in each level. The jewel fragments are placed in hard to reach areas and areas that were "secret" on Normal. I estimate that playing on Hard would have added 10+ minutes to the length of the movie, and I figured the movie was already long enough.
The movie was more challenging to make than it might appear. Some difficulties I faced were with regards to controls. For example when Wario is running at full speed (which I try and keep him doing as much as possible), you cannot control the length or the height of his jumps. This means I must stop running if I need to make a controlled jump. If it's a small jump Wario can start running full speed again as soon as he hits the ground, otherwise you must build up to full speed. Also when running full speed you can't come to a sudden stop without skidding, but if you let go of run and walk for a few steps you can stop with no skid.
Controls while swimming were especially frustrating. Wario is very disobedient to my input whilst in the water.
It took a little bit of planning in some levels to figure out the best route to collect the jewel fragments, but most of it was pretty straightforward.
The hardest level to complete was definitely Pinball Zone. Looks like a breeze when you watch it, but getting those balls in the holes as fast as possible was exceedingly difficult. The Aerodent boss was also particularly frustrating until I figured out how to do it right. At first I didn't think it was possible to hit him more than three times without him flipping back up, but if you hit him just right he wont flip back up. It almost has to be pixel perfect to get a good hit.
Anyway, I hope you like it.

Nach: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #670: JuanValdez's GBA Wario Land 4 in 1:02:21.45
Player (101)
Hot damn! I was planning to delete all my emulators, but I must watch this first. =3 edit: man, nothing like seeing a time attack video to see just how much faster Wario truly can get around with his new dash move, compared to the other Wario Land games. Still may be neat to a Hard Mode run... To go along with this one, and not replace it. That way we can have this super-fast Sonic-speed video as well as a more Puzzle-heavy one which Hard Mode would create. I think they'd both be interesting in different ways. Anyway, great video. =)
http://girlyyy.com/ The El Viento TAS is the only decent thing I submitted here.
Editor, Active player (296)
Any good reason why this 1 hour movie would be interesting?
Active player (277)
Because it's Wario!!! :)
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Former player
Bisqwit wrote:
It's true that it's a pretty long movie. Platform games are a lot longer than they used to be. I think this movie is interesting because it plays the game at an impossibly fast speed. I'm holding the run button down basically the whole time, which if you tried to do playing normally you would find yourself dead very quickly as Wario runs pretty fast and is difficult to control. Also the levels are a lot more varied than your average side scroller. It's not just a matter of getting from point A to point B. You have to get in, collect all the items, and get out the same way you came in. Plus the levels are very diverse, each one having its own theme, which breaks up the monotony. Plus it's Wario :)
I STILL can't get it to run without desynching at the same place it always has done... <_< Here's the MD5s of the files, if it helps: 6969b418e0ce9079a2d4b3f29de81003 - ROM c9965559e3a9f9453bc7431930981c1d - Movie 0b9f224118f9fab0add390ccf101ebed - Emulator
Player (101)
Bisqwit wrote:
Because it's a lot more entertaining than all the movies that have been published on the site lately. bobxp: I had problems too, but when I got it to work, it was with the European ROM.
http://girlyyy.com/ The El Viento TAS is the only decent thing I submitted here.
Former player
bobxp wrote:
I STILL can't get it to run without desynching at the same place it always has done... <_< Here's the MD5s of the files, if it helps: 6969b418e0ce9079a2d4b3f29de81003 - ROM c9965559e3a9f9453bc7431930981c1d - Movie 0b9f224118f9fab0add390ccf101ebed - Emulator
The MD5 of the ROM I used is 5FE47355A33E3FABEC2A1607AF88A404. I also have the rom with the same checksum of yours. That's the wrong one, as it contains a hacked intro. Don't use that one. Make sure your rom is 0169 - Wario Land 4 (U) (Q)
Bah, google-searching for it is completely futile. All I get is timeouts, 404s and what actually still exists is either rom lists (ie no downloads) or bullsh!t. -_- EDIT: Got it off someone else, w00t. I'll watch it soon. EDIT2: Wow, very good. Definately a yes vote for me. :) A "hard mode" run would be even cooler IMO.
The movie seems to work with the (J) Eurasia ROM, regardless of the mismatch warning. Very nice movie, and I found it to be very fast-paced, as well. "Yes", for me.
I watched this movie yesterday and I think it's really well done. Wonder why it hasn't been published yet?
Is there any reason why this run hasn't been published yet? Because it kicks so much arse that it's ridiculous. X) Definite yes. And this forum needs some strikeout tags.
This game gets a yes vote from me. Why hasen't it been published yet?
Patashu
He/Him
Hey, cool! Someone was doing a TAS of this game? I'll have to grab the rom at some point, I really liked this one...
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Player (101)
This really needs to be published. =/ I'd like to see it again, but I can't find the ROM anymore.
That was weird. My ROM has one of those introductions on it placed by whoever ripped the ROM. But the file still played right... except it set the ROM to be in... Spanish I think. It synched perfectly [watched it all the way through] except all the level names and things were in Spanish. [It might have been Portuguese. I'm really not much of an expert on languages.] But yeah, incredible run.
Still not accepted and approved. I think the "management" should care less about their own favorites and convert and approve the games accepted by the voters.
Player (101)
Hahaha... I'd put it a little nicer, but I agree. It's really annoying seeing perfectly entertaining submissions such as this languish for months on end as they accept movies submitted a day ago, again and again. And as you say, the voting system seems to mean nothing now. And there are still submissions from 2004 in the queue, for goodness sake. I understand time is limited, so maybe Bis should add more reviewers and encoders to the staff or SOMETHING.
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1300)
The ability to accept/reject/delay a movie separately from publishing it was added after this movie was submitted, I think. But now that it's there, someone should go through and change the status of the older unjudged movies to something, anything besides "new". If they're really reluctant to publish it, then "reject" or "delay" (with a reason) would be preferable to leaving it apparently indefinitely unjudged like this.
Player (101)
I wonder if this grievance is worth reposting in a seperate thread on another forum. I doubt the judges will ever see it here, since this thread is about a game that doesn't involve Megaman or Mario.
Active player (277)
But Wario's like Mario! Only... different.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Active player (301)
I watched this run last night and was incredibly impressed. That final fight was just showing off =D I would vote for it... but I can't.
Former player
If I might say something... I love watching TAS, and I've enjoyed working on the two TAS that I've submitted, but it's a little discouraging to have my movie sit in the submissions queue for over half a year without a decision being made on it. There were a few other (somewhat esoteric) games that I was planning on doing a TAS on, but I've held off because I don't want them to meet the same fate that has befallen this one. If my run was approved, that would of course encourage me to create more. If it was rejected, that would also be fine as long as I was told what I could have done to make the movie publishable, so that I could do better next time. But to have it just sit here this long with little feedback and no decision, I'm not sure what to think. As anyone who has done a TAS knows, it is time consuming work. I worked hard on this movie, and I would love to do more, but not if they are just going to sit unjudged for all eternity. At this point I just want some closure on this.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
(I can't find the non-intro hacked rom, else I'd have watched this by now) I'm honestly surprised this hasn't been looked at much. The game itself is a treat for the eyes; very colorful. Wario's got a huge variety of moves, many of which involve hard-to-control speed. Once I can watch this movie, I'll vote on it.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
Here's what I think of this run: It's somewhat fast (however long), and the game is colorful with an amusing character. If the music was good, it would remind me of a Sonic game (just not as fast). But for the run being an hour, there isn't an hour worth of action. Why? Because there are all sorts of stupid cutscenes that programmers put into games now to make them feel like they have some sort of plot. All said and done, I think fans of the game will definitely enjoy this run. Non-fans watching may get tired of the cutscenes, but it does contain some action and is well-played, so I vote yes.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)