Submission Text Full Submission Page
Emulator used: VBA-rerecording-9
  • Aims for the fastest time
  • Never die
  • Use Glitches & Tricks
Balloon Kid is a autoscrolling game, where you normaly fly with Balloons. I try here to play it in a different way, a much more interesting way. I use as less Balloons as possible. So I jump often from bird to bird, fish to fish, spider to spider or through spikes and fire. Sometimes there is no other way then the Balloon, because the next save place is to far away. So I must use sometimes Balloons. I try too to catch as less Balloons as possible, because it save some Frames after done a Stage. Sometimes it is maybe possible to catch not so much Balloons, when I just use a Balloon and fly. But my first priority in this game is to use Ballons as less as possible. So I catch some Balloons more. But it looks much better then just use Balloon and fly over or under these Balloons.
Fastest time is no big problem, because its an automatic scrolling game. So at the end from every Stage I must only at the left side and end every Stage as fast as possible. I must too defeat the Boss enemies as fast as possible. So I test the Frames, where I can hit the Boss at the first time. Werewolf is no big problem here. The Fish is more the problem, because you can hit him earlier, but then you will not land on the save place anymore and die. So I must wait, when the fish is high enough and I will land again on the save place. Maybe it goes faster, when you use Balloons here, but my first priority is, only Balloons when there is no other way. By the Snowman I must wait, that he throw his helm away, then I can jump on his head. And finally the Robot, there I must wait, till he show his head and open his mouth. So I hit him as fast as possible and you will not see, that he open his mouth.
I found out some nice Tricks and Glitches while doing this run. In one Stage I destroy the Balloon and can now walk through the crabs without get hit. This help me to catch no Ballons, because I must not jump over the crabs. The much more interesting Glitch which I found out can you see in Stage 7 & 8. There I jump from spike to spike without die. Normaly you die when you jump onto the spikes. But I found out, when you jump as fast as possible again, you will not die, just jump again. Same work too in Stage 8 in the fire. I can jump through the firs without dieing, because I jump as fast as possible again.
The hard part from this game is the controlling. She run so fast and slide long, when you stop running. And flying is to not easy. So this movie looks maybe not astetic, but its hard to control and move the girl how you want.

Truncated: Hmm. No. The autoscrolling is bad enough, but you don't manage to do something interesting while waiting... mainly you just run back and forth. It's too long and too slow. If the game hadn't been autoscrolling, then perhaps Balloon kid without balloons would have been a fun idea, but at the moment it's not. I'm rejecting this submission.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #744: MattyXB's GB Balloon Kid in 29:10.60
Nobody interests in it? The author did a good job, though I like GBC version better. The movie itself was well-planned, with good use of glitches.
Player (24)
Thanks, finally one who like this one. I wonder me too a bit, that noone interested on this one. I like the game as child. But the problem here is, that it looks bad. Moveing and astetic looks bad. The reason is the controlling. You can't time the movements like in other games. Example when you jump, you can only jump low, medium or high. When you press maybe the Jump button for 1 Frame you jump as high as you press it for 3 Frames (not sure exact how many Frames you need to jump a bit higher). So you can't make the movie look perfect like jump as far as you only need or high as you only need. Or maybe the game is to hard for me, that someone else can make a much better movie with this controlling. Thats maybe the big problem in this game. By Gargoyle's Quest its much better. Here I jump as far and as high as I only need. So it look later maybe great and well planed. There I jump every Frame I push the button higher or longer. So you can time every jump much better then here in Balloon Kid. I hope that Gargoyle's Quest will be loved much more. Thats the reason why I try to play it a different way, that it looks maybe much more interesting. It was hard to time the jumps with this bad control and without use Balloons so often.
Last TAS finished: Final Fantasy Adventure (4.0 Warp Glitch Run) WIP in the moment: Tail Gator (GB) Matty
Its a good movie but a bad game to time-attack, sorry. But the auto-scrolling makes it bad since no improvements can be made or be gotten any faster than in real machine. Of cource boss fights can be made faster , but still in overall it seemed a bit boring in the end. Try another game next time :). If trick runs will be here in the future, then these kind of games could be fiddeled with. So i voted "Meh".
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, stale!