Submission Text Full Submission Page
  • Aims for the fastest time possible
  • Manipulates Luck
  • Genre: Storybook game
Emulator used: FCEU Ultra 0.98.12-blip
Frame advance + Menu Navigation = WIEE!
This is a ~14s improvement of the current movie. This is mostly due to more precise, and in some cases different, cursor movement. This movie uses the same route as Walker Boh's movie, but as said earlier, the cursor movement is slightly different. Overall, the ~14s improvement is pretty hard to see with the naked eye, but you can see it if you use frame advance :)
I hope you all enjoy this movie
/Randil

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #754: Randil's NES Deja Vu in 11:11.90
Player (70)
This sounds very interesting. I will have to check this out after doing the laundry.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
Faster than the published version, no obvious mistakes, voted yes.
Editor, Active player (296)
14 seconds of improvement without changing the route? Amazing.
Bisqwit wrote:
14 seconds of improvement without changing the route? Amazing.
True, but there's the one extra step being taken in both routes. I've told Walkerboh about it for when he redoes his version, but I mean some of these cursor movements... never woulda thunk of them. I still wonder if the bathroom stall could not be done a mite bit faster with slightly different cursor placement, but then again I could be wrong too. I still give this a yes vote though, because it IS faster. Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Skilled player (1885)
To Mr. Kelly R. Flewin: Is this extra step you're talking about picking up the PENCIL and using it on the MEMO? Because you left that part out in your speed guide. I think I see what you're talking about, that the the bathroom stall could be done faster, and you are right... I redid it with some other cursor placement and got to the mirror in the second room 18 frames faster... But if I redo this run I will wait to do so until I find out what this "extra step" is, and if there is anything else in this movie that needs improvement. In the light of this new information I'll probably do a re-run of this TAS, using these new techniques. But I'll start with that after I finish my Shadowgate movie. Oh, and if anyone else sees something that could be done faster, please let me know, so I don't have to redo this movie more than once :)
Randil wrote:
To Mr. Kelly R. Flewin: Is this extra step you're talking about picking up the PENCIL and using it on the MEMO? Because you left that part out in your speed guide.
Yep ;) I left it out for a reason.. primarily because you DON'T need the pencil :) My guide on Gamefaqs is as flawless as possible now. There'a also a way to exit the stall in such a manner with a click, that you can also click again and you hit the mirror. Not sure if it'd be faster for you, but it did work well for me when I tried. Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Skilled player (1885)
I checked out if it would be faster to open the stalldoor on a spot where you can click on the mirror directly when you exit, and this is exactly as fast as to move the cursor into position after you exit the stall. Either way, I have to move the cursor the same route and the same distance. Oh, and I do have some information on how to manipulate luck (more exactly, how to control the random factors in your speed guide) on Deja Vu, and you can very well do this on a console too i believe: You can avoid meeting all these persons on the street (the mugger, the homeless bum and that lady) this way: First choose MOVE, then go down to the minimap (below MOVE) and click on A somewhere next to the dot (the one you should click on to go to the area where one of these persons could show up), and after this, click on the dot. To make absolutely sure you don't run into them, it could be a good idea to click up to 5 times next to the dot before clicking in the dot. Sometimes it is necessary to click this many times in order to avoid these. I can probably come back to exactly how many times you have to click later on. It's pretty easy to check these things out when you're using savestates and can see into the future :) By the way, I've started my new run of Deja Vu, and right now, I'm about 10 seconds ahead of the time for this movie. I'll probably be able to break the 11-minute barrier with the new version!
Skilled player (1885)
I managed to improve this movie by another 18 seconds, which makes it 32 seconds faster than the published version! I submitted the new movie too, see this thread: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2651 This is why I'm cancelling this submission, for further discussion, check the new thread.