I have not seen a full game run of SMB2 so I decided to take on the challenge. I used the same tactics for original stages as previous authors and then used some more of my own.
Emulator: FCE Ultra
Objectives: Completes game as fast as possible Takes damage to save time Does not use warps or passwords Abuses programming errors Manipulates luck
Stages are as follows. 1-1: I use the same technique as Sleepz because it is what seems to be the fastest.
1-2: Again, thank you Sleepz for showing a faster way, I also do the same.
1-3: I use Luigi because I could not figure out how to get the star perfectly to kill Mouser. So Luigi became the next best with jumps. And the UP+DOWN is first used big on this stage. Mouser however is beaten very fast I think.
2-1: Pretty much just a run through the stage until I hit the sand digging. From there I have to get some cherries in order to get my star which for some reason(for me) would only appear after the enemies projectile hit the wall and went a certain distance off the screen, so it didnt matter how fast I dug, also I had to press start 3 times to make the game think the star went to the left and then it gets a more needed early start across the screen, from there I have fun with the Birdo.
2:2: Again, running to the end and then digging my way down.
2:3: And again, running and digging. But when it comes to the boss, I use his little buddy against him to kill him faster.
3:1: This stage is a little different, more of a go up stage rather than a scroller. Nothing special really here cept for the Birdo beatin.
3:2: I chose Princess here because she can float for a good amount of time. You will see why. It just seemed the shorter route. Anyways, Birdo gets taken care of nicely.
3:3: Luigi was used for a particular reason in the level. His jumps are just the right height. Mouser gets destroyed at the with every bomb. Fastest possible way I thought of destroying him.
4:1: Same as previous speedruns.
4:2: Same as previous runs, until I take the rocket up to the next level, then I get enough cherries to make the star appear to destroy Birdo once again with the touch of my body.
4:3: Luigi worked perfect for this stage. His long jumps and his better moving ability when he picks up objects(I think). Plus, the boss gets it.
5:1: Good timing with Luigi is needed on this, plus I use the (Pick up item after returning) glitch to take care of Birdo faster than normal.
5:2: I first thought Luigi would be good for this stage, but Toad was the better choice with the faster running and all. I fish slap the Birdo at the end :)
5:3: Pretty much a running through the level. I used a faster technique than what I normally planned for Birdo. And the crab-looking-boss at the end of the stage is easier than holding A.
6:1-7:2: These stages are pretty much the same as the speedruns. I dont want to explain them because the previous authors have aleady.
ENJOY.

Bisqwit: You cancelled this submission, which was appropriate given that you're already improving it, but I'll publish it anyway. :) I hope we'll see the improved version too in the near future.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #759: GuanoBowl's NES Super Mario Bros. 2 "warpless" in 21:24.85
Editor, Active player (296)
I'm trying to check whether the first levels of this movie are carbon copies of Sleepz's play, but I find something strange. In the movie, you press right or up in controllers 2 and 3 very often. The movie file is filled with events for all three controllers, mostly controller 1 though. What is going on? But no, it's not a carbon copy... Still need to check if it's slower or faster.
After lvl1-2 you are 108 frames behind sleepz. Gigafrost used toad for level 1-3 and was 320 frames faster on that level compared to your movie.
Here are some my comments. ** Levels 1-1 to 1-3 ** - Overall no complaints. - No complaints for Mouser battle. ** Level 2-1 ** - At frame 11117, you bump against a wall, losing your forward momentum. One should avoid this. ** 2-1 sand scene ** - At frame 11995, in sand digging, you move when you could be digging. I understand you did this to handle the enemies. - At frame 12047, instead of sliding over the enemy to skip a row of sand, you picked the enemy up and threw him. = Extra delay - Consistently, your digging seems to be much slower than it needs to be. I'm fairly certain it could be made a lot faster. - At frame 12276, you didn't skip a row of sand despite being in the right position in regards to the enemy. - Apparently, you tried to move to the right in order to be able to slide over the enemy, but you weren't able to do it, which caused 1) delays when moving to the right 2) even more delays when moving back to the left to avoid the enemy. This scene could be made a lot faster. Killing Ostro with invincibility was rather cool though! In answer to your concerns about the star's behavior, I'm sure it can be manipulated somehow... - You use autofire a lot. - Frame 13613, you bump against a wall, losing your forward momentum. ** Level 2-2 ** - Frame 15207, you use a Beezo as platform, losing a few frames of momentum. - Frame 16097, sand digging scene, you managed to do the skipping of sand row, but it looks like it can be done at least 5 frames faster. - Frame 16273, same thing. - Frame 16414, same thing. - Frame 16776, same thing. - Frame 16942, same thing. - Frame 17009, a lot better - only 1 frame delay. - Frame 17422, at Ostro, you should have actually picked the first mushroom instead of the third one, to walk faster sooner. Would have saved a few frames. - Frame 17717, at Ostro: It's an effecient tactic, but I'm drooling: could you kill Ostro from the under side? ** 2-3 ** - Frame 16853, can the slow climbing made shorter, by jumping the ladder for example? - Frame 18849, how about picking something up to walk faster? If the plants don't help, perhaps you could luck-manipulate a Beezo there? - Frame 19721, the jump was a good idea, but are you sure that you could have made it a frame shorter? There was some room between Toad and the platform... - Frame 20498, sand scene: 2-3 frames of delay this time. Almost perfect, but not exactly. - Frame 20666, the Shyguy is too far, are you sure the trick actually saves time here? - Frame 20815, about 16 frames of delay here. The trick wasn't even nearly perfectly executed. - Frame 20924, about 10 frames of delay in the trick. - Frame 21180, about 6-8 frames of delay. - Frame 21282, about 2-4 frames of delay. - Frames 21381-21450, you should have moved differently in order to gain maximum horizontal motion at the first instant it's possible, instead of bumping against the wall etc. Saves maybe 10 frames. - Frame 21641, to reach the key, you jump 1-2 frames too late. - Jumping the sand up looked very unoptimized. - Handling of Triclyde looked very good. I think I have seen enough to know that this movie will surely be beaten - my estimate is that it will be beaten by 30-60 seconds. However, this is a very anticipated movie, and I don't think it's failing in entertainment, so I vote yes.
Pretty nice looking but why on earth do you pick up some of the enemies (and few blocks) when you don't need them on anything, or am I just missing something? This just slows you down since it moves forward much slower while picking up an object. This is the first full (all levels done) TAS i have seen on SMB2 and enjoyed watching it. There where those few bug abuses (or what should i call them :) ) which made it even more interesting. For example mooving forward with the flying rug and jumping while on it, pickin up fruit from the "shadow world" to kill boss with it fast and easy and useing star to kill boss. It's been _a long_ time since I have played SMB2 so (even thou this a bit is of the topic) would someone remind me what was Mario's special ability?
Which run should I encode next? :)
Maza wrote:
why on earth do you pick up some of the enemies (and few blocks) when you don't need them on anything, or am I just missing something? This just slows you down since it moves forward much slower while picking up an object.
For Toad, picking heavy objects actually speeds his walking considerably.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
I vote yes. Nice video, and not knowing SMB2 as in depth as someone like Bisqwit, there are no mistakes that detract from the entertainment.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Former player
In that note, sometimes you can pick up stuff in the ground to move faster, but don't. You also seem to have slow reaction times. Maybe it's just me, but I think you can handle the character selection screen faster. I think I'm going to abstain from voting. I have also been looking forward to such a movie, and I think the tricks are well done, but from a speedrun persepective there are too many minor issues to overlook. The two biggest mistakes that really caught my eye were a time when you kept your feet on the ground on a convayer belt moving in the wrong direction (first room of Wart's castle), and when you were climbing a sand pit with a key; you lost all your horizontal momentum when you hit the solid wall as you emerged next to the locked door. I most certainly look forward to an improved version.
Former player
I don't care about all the nitpicking. As no one else has bothered doing a full run, and as the run looked really impressive from a watcher's perspective (as opposed to a runner's perspective, which is naturally more critical) I'm voting Yes. I've been waiting for a full SMB2 run for a REALLY long time.
Very good run. I do see this time being beat though. Question though, you say u do not know how to kill mouser with star power? Im wondering that too, can anyone enlighten us?
Former player
nice. can be improved on as stated but its about time someone did this run. Guano, care to try your hand at the other "complete runs" that haven't been done yet?
Post subject: Re: feedback
Hoe
Bisqwit wrote:
However, this is a very anticipated movie, and I don't think it's failing in entertainment, so I vote yes.
Though lacking the ability to confirm or add to the problems in the recording, I highly vote yes. This movie was simply fantastic in entertainment value. If some one beats it, I can only hope they keep it as entertaining as yours.
Former player
Hey guys, thanks for the comments and such. I know all about the "small" errors that I make in the game. Also, I do know that everyone wanted to see a full SMB2 run so thats why I did it. The mouser thing is too hard to time for me, I tried with Toad and then with Luigi but the way I was reading how to do it, seemed near impossible. Anyways, I know there is time to be improved, and I wanted to show different ways of killing enemies such as me throwing the shyguy, him bouncing and hitting the birdo at the right time for me to "glitch" the game and pick up and invisible shyguy(which is the same one) and toss him while he's in mid-air back at the Birdo. I really liked my outcome of the game and I know it can be improved.
/*- wrote:
Guano, care to try your hand at the other "complete runs" that haven't been done yet?
Just name them and I will give them a try. Thats the 1 thing I have trouble with is finding a more "entertaining" game that for me as a stoner, would just laugh and be impressed by some of the techniques.
Bisqwit wrote:
I'm trying to check whether the first levels of this movie are carbon copies of Sleepz's play
I wouldnt try and rip off his play but more of his technique. Anyways, thanks for the comments and feel free to add my e-mail to MSN Messenger if and of you have it. I would love to chat with some of you people about some stuff and get some different perspectives and opinions. take care now, bye bye then.
Change my sig. again, and I will murder your pet fish.
GuanoBowl wrote:
I would love to chat with some of you people about some stuff and get some different perspectives and opinions.
You are welcome to join our IRC channel.
Former player
very yes im not saying that it was perfect, but im saying that is was a bisqwit-quailty run. im looking forward to downloading the avi of this.
The long overdue warpless run. It's a good movie, but I don't see the point in voting Yes when there are so many known improvable areas. It will just be obsoleted when someone fixes them, which might even be tomorrow if someone is dedicated enough. Remember the Donkey Kong competition?
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
Great job guano, I'm also voting yes. This was very entertaining, I'm very impressed with the improvement in your timeattacking abilities. Great use of the many glitches available. Keep it up! On a side note, I love your new avatar.
Player (24)
Too a yes from me. Great use from Tricks, Glitches and Shortcuts.
Last TAS finished: Final Fantasy Adventure (4.0 Warp Glitch Run) WIP in the moment: Tail Gator (GB) Matty
Former player
It was good, but not good enough to get my yes-vote. Definately a step in the right direction, but a few path flaws and not enough refinement. Refinement is especially important because we have the tools to do that, although granted it increases the amount of work we have to do. Tafatt mentioned my stage 1-3. I did some exact measurements for the heck of it: Gigafrost: 6129 - Level 3 Start 7075 - Inside Main 7596 - Key Room 7858 - Main Again 8792 - Preboss 9618 - Mouser Start 10276 - Door Appear 0 - Level 3 Start 946 - Inside Main 1467 - Key Room 1728 - Main Again 2663 - Preboss 3489 - Mouser Start 4147 - Door Appear GuanoBowl: 5792 - Level 3 Start 6856 - Inside Main 7384 - Key Room 7652 - Main Again 8627 - Preboss 9514 - Mouser Start 10252 - Door Appear 0 - Level 3 Start 1064 - Inside Main(-118) 1592 - Key Room(-125)(-7) 1860 - Main Again(-132)(-7) 2835 - Preboss(-172)(-40) 3722 - Mouser Start(-233)(-61) 4460 - Door Appear(-313)(-80) That's the breakdown of where all the frames were lost in that stage, for example. I'm pretty convinced that Toad is the man for this stage. Anyways, I saw plenty of small delays here and there, a good number of turns that weren't hugged tight enough, and some that were hugged too right (caught on the wall once or twice more than needed like Bisqwit pointed out.)
Active player (325)
It was a cool run, fun to watch, but to me it screamed "not as fast as possible" every inch of the way.
krieg747 wrote:
im not saying that it was perfect, but im saying that is was a bisqwit-quailty run.
At first I didn't know what to think of that statement, but yes, I think you are right. Although the glitch arsenal is new, the quality of the movie reminds me strongly of my own SMB2 movies from the earliest days of the Nesvideos site. Which means GuanoBowl is on the right road :P It's the enthusiasism "wow, it works! Let's go on" without concern to whether it can be done faster. Now he just needs to gain the concern about his work being beaten. :P
Former player
Im having a hell of a hard time trying to kill mouser with a star, it seems damn near impossible. If someone has been able to do this and would like to show me how. Feel free to record it and post it on here.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
It was OK, but it can be a lot better. I could accept publishing a slightly imperfect version and let people improve on that afterwards, but this is not that slightly imperfect version.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
You people must have good eye for super mario games, because, i didnt really see any problem with it, other than the wall bumping once or twice. It was very entertaining to me. I vote yes.
Former player
Hey guys, I gots a new run for SMB2 coming in like a week, im at 3-3 Mouser and already about 16 seconds ahead of my original