Recorded on FCE Ultra 0.98.12
  • 1-Player mode
  • Aim for fastest possible time
  • take damage to save time
  • no programming errors used
  • total frames: 36085
Chip&Dale is a nice NES platform-game of the famous Disney-Cartoon. It supports 1 and 2 player mode.
This movie shows how to beat the game in 10:01 min which seems to be the limit in a 1-player mode. Defeated all bosses as fast as theoretical possible. Tried to be entertaining in waiting periods.
Fist I thought a timeattack for this game will be simple (thats why I started it), but to make everything Frame-Perfect has become a real pain for me. Especially the last level was a real thrill to optimize. I even got blister at my fingers making this run :-)
Enjoy

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #765: Saturn's NES Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers in 10:01.42
Emulator Coder
Unless someone has any spoilers to make this better, this looks good. :)
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
The last level of this game has some sweet music. Faster than existing record, and gets rids of a famtasia movie! Two reasons to vote yes.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
Fast and stylish. Very good.
Post subject: tricks that were not used
Editor, Active player (296)
TNSe wrote:
Unless someone has any spoilers to make this better, this looks good. :)
I do have some. I have been making a 2-player movie a long time already (a few people know about it), and in the making, I discovered something that could be used in an 1-player movie as well. Most of the benefits in my 2-player movie are only usable in a 2-player movie though. (And in fact, 2-player movie suffers from lag a *LOT* more than 1-player movie.) [img_left]http://bisqwit.iki.fi/kala/snap/applezip.gif[/img_left] I call the trick apple-zipping. It saves a frame or two when it is used on the leading character. It can't be used with boxes or walls, but it can be used with all blocking non-damaging objects that exist as sprites -- includes at least Chip, Dale, the apples, the rubber ball, and the switches in zone D. And then there's also the faster way of handling the waterhoses: However, I'm voting "yes", because this is faster than the existing movie. Still, I strongly hope Saturn will make a new movie to take advantage of these tricks, and will finish that before my 2p movie comes. :P
Player (209)
I already mentioned that I missed the part with the waterpipes in this post, but as I discovered the mistake I did the movie already. This part would save me about 45 frames, however even If I would do this trick I still have 10 frames left to improve the run to 10:00. I'm not sure if there are enough apples and switches to improve this 10 missing frames by Zipping. The final time would be 10:01 no matter what I do, it would be just 45 frames faster. Maybe sometime I will improve my run but as I know that the final time won't change in any case I don't have the motivation right now. I will concentrate on Secret of Evermore now, since this movie is already long awaited.
See my perfect 100% movie-walkthroughs of the best RPG games on http://www.freewebs.com/saturnsmovies/index.htm Current TAS project (with new videos): Super Metroid Redesign, any% speedrun
Post subject: Re: tricks that were not used
Former player
Bisqwit wrote:
And then there's also the faster way of handling the waterhoses:
I've been improving Chip n Dale 2 in small scale lately. It's going slow though but an improved version will come. Well, to stay on topic, in C&D2 it's bad to take those "coins" (those squares with flowers) because at the end of the stage they will count down and take a frame per "coin". I don't remember how it is in C&D1 but those 2 by the waterhose seems avoidable if that should be the case. It's just a thought though. Edit: I just learned that I was wrong. And btw, those small clips look great!
/Walker Boh
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [385] NES Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers "1 player" by Saturn in 10:01.42
Those clips are really cute. Man it would be great to have an organized glitch database with glitches illustrated as such... probably outside the focus of this site though.
This signature is much better than its previous version.
Very nice run, I think this should have a on it. In the last level. Is there a way to gain time using the escalator? Or is all the enemies down there costing to much time? I refering to this scene: Cheers /Werrock
Player (209)
Hmm, a interesting point. I didn't even tried that, because of the many enemies in this area. But I guess its out of question since I can't take any damage because I need full health at the upcoming axes. This is my opinion at least.
See my perfect 100% movie-walkthroughs of the best RPG games on http://www.freewebs.com/saturnsmovies/index.htm Current TAS project (with new videos): Super Metroid Redesign, any% speedrun