Submission Text Full Submission Page
This game a very unusual boat game where you race to the finish, rescue swimmers from being abducted, dispose of bombs, kill sea monsters and shoot targets.
This movie aims for the fastest time and is 44 seconds faster than Walkerboh's published movie.
Every level except for the pod collecting levels was improved by at least 10-30 frames. The major improvements are as follows:
  • Level 1: 4 seconds improved from faster handling
  • Level 2: collect more pods upgrade more ammo
  • Level 5: Killed monster faster with upgraded weapons and moved to the edge of the screen to exit faster
  • Level 6: Intentionally missed a target to avoid 1-up (72 frames)
  • Level 7: Saved only 1 person (120 frames saved)
  • Level 9: Most of the savings were a result from this level. When the road forked I went right instead of left, cost 22 frames but allowed a different route later on
  • Level 20: The better route allowed the icebergs to be replaced with logs, this allowed for an 8 second improvment. also the timer was :50 instead of 1:20 allowing another 90 frames saved after it counted down the timer at the end of the level. In addition I did not need to use the "force" saving it for the red dragon boss
  • Level 21:Used the whirlpools to proplel me around faster, saving 3 seconds
  • Level 23:Used the "force" to defeat the red dragon instead of waiting for the timer to expire saving over 10 seconds!
  • Also, on all boss fights holding A before the fight will allow you to get in a cheap shot, knocking one bar off of their life. This allowed me to beat all the bosses slightly faster.
Also, their are places where a shoot that seemingly hits nothing. Those are to manipulate luck. Turrets usually don't fire if you fire just before they appear on the screen.
Well that's it In summary:
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Manipulates luck

adelikat: Cancelled my submission due to finding a way to manipulate pods in level 1; allowing the ability to get speed upgrades and complete the stage several seconds faster. This will also result in upgrading sooner, saving more time later.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #769: adelikat's NES Cobra Triangle in 17:10.93
Former player
Another run! Gah. 44 seconds seems reasonably though. But it's harder to rescue all those guys even though it might be slower.
/Walker Boh
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
Very good. And it fixes the major issue I had with the previous movie: it concentrates only on speed, and doesn't go for points in some levels. I thought hitting the targets made you go faster. Perhaps this is an illusion... but if it's not you should skip the last target and not the first.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
as far as I know, your speed has nothing to do with the targets. Also, by missing the 1st one it makes it more obvious that I'm doing it on purpose and not just missing due to sloppiness Also with the saving the children levels, when I did the calculations, it takes a full 2 seconds more to save all 8 (due to the score racking up at the end). Since there are two of these levels, that 4 seconds. I felt that was a bit much to sacrifice for a marginal entertainment value. Also the second save the children level breaks up and glitches badly (even on the actual console). By driving around with one of them it fixed the graphics problems and made the level a lot cleaner looking. [edit] I checked, the frame count is identical when I shot all the target and when I shot none of them. So the targets definately do not affect speed.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Former player
So are we keeping Walker's movie as a fast playaround?
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Former player
Of course you shouldn't. It has a lot of flaws in it which Adelikat apparently fixed good. I just wished I could have done it myself.
/Walker Boh
This is the USA version of the ROM? I'd downloaded your movie, and I have the USA version of the ROM, but the thing had desynced at about 10 seconds into it...weird.
adelikat
He/Him
The correct file size should be 129k.
Skilled player (1885)
The ROM:s name is: Cobra Triangle (U).nes And the ROM:s checksum starts with 187e9 Make sure you don't use PAL emulation when playing the movie.
Randil wrote:
The ROM:s name is: Cobra Triangle (U).nes And the ROM:s checksum starts with 187e9 Make sure you don't use PAL emulation when playing the movie.
That's all correct, but it still desyncs... The file size of the movie should be 129 kb? The file of the movie that is yours that I have download says it's 71 kb. Maybe this is why it'd desync...?
adelikat
He/Him
the file size of the ROM should be 129k not the movie file
Sorry for another late response, but the ROM file is 129Kb, but the movie still desyncs... I just don't know why...
adelikat
He/Him
I just downloaded the .fcm myself and played it with no problems. It is most likely that you have a different version of the rom despite the file size being the same. Try finding a different rom and see if that works
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
BiroZombie: is the checksum the same when you play the movie? There's usually a warning if it isn't. I could play this movie too without problems, so it's likely something on your side.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... 'twas dry