Earnest Evans is a game I owned on a console, but was never able to beat. It's a fairly hard game that's somehow related to El Viento which were both made by Wolfteam. Earnest Evans is a Indiana Jones-esque treasure hunter who has to go through various levels and settings and battle hordes of monsters and bosses.
  • Emulator used: Gens 9f
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
This game has many pros and cons. The graphics and monster designs are excellent, but some of the level designs are some of the laziest I've seen. Also, the gameplay is somewhat screwy due to conflicts with the ground. Earnest has to jump a lot in order to avoid losing his momentum.
Earnest uses a whip to attack enemies and for hooking onto things jutting out from the ceiling in order to swing from them. Other one-level weapons are rocks, a ball+chain, and a hammer.
Unfortunately, this game suffers from some lag. I did my best to minimize it, but the whip is a very weak weapon, so attempts to kill larger things to reduce lag only worsens the situation.
This game has A LOT of bosses. Some levels have one boss, some more than one, and some have none at all.
I used a continue one time on level 7 in order to avoid having to waste time killing the giant worm and bugs.
I had a few desync issues during the making of the movie, so if it desyncs for you, let me know.
Enjoy!
This version uses a shortcut in level 10.
adelikat: I am accepting this submission. It receives good votes and good comments. It is entertaining and looks well played.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #814: Ouzo's Genesis Earnest Evans in 08:55.98
Player (80)
The style of having a bunch of sprites for each entity is a little annoying, but your gameplay was solid and interesting to watch. Level endings were also confusing, especially when dying completed a level (probably 7), but I'll assume that you found some bugs to play with. Definite yes.
ideamagnate| .seen aqfaq <nothing happens> DK64_MASTER| .seen nesvideoagent * DK64_MASTER slaps forehead
Former player
Well, I'm glad somebody liked it :)...
Yes yes and yes. ...well, that is, if I could vote. As it stands, this run should be published anyway. Finishing a tough game in style and with methods that most people wouldn't dare to pull off earns a place in my book.
Player (101)
You know, I've played El Viento dozens of times, but never the spinoff/sequel. Looks like it's just as bonkers as El Viento was. Earnest can't seem to handle the whip quite as well as Simon Belmont does... Also, I love the level that lasted two seconds. (voted yes!) Just to complete the trilogy, I downloaded and played Annette Again after watching this. It really is a crappy game, and it would make a bad time attack, not that savestating works with Mega CDs anyway.
http://girlyyy.com/ The El Viento TAS is the only decent thing I submitted here.
Hm. This is good. I wonder why I never watched it before. It's not quite hard-game-made-to-look-easy, because you can still tell how hard this game is. The play is good... improvement might be possible if slowdown could be reduced a little. I'll vote yes on this. Hm, there are lots of votes and few posts. Moreso than usual.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
comments: Game: short, interesting, enough variation, bugs, route planning possibilities, variety of bosses, possibilities to increase forward momentum, all the stuff needed to make a good TAS definate yes vote for the GAME this submission: I liked: dying to save time finding ways to increase foward momentum using the whip bosses killed quickly and effortlessly Things I didn't like: -there is a lot of lag. I trust you did your best to minimize it but it bugged me nonetheless -I felt you might be able to keep you speed higher more often, though I don't know the game well enough to confirm this. -stopping to kill some enemies (I'm sure you tried to avoid it though) so this submission entertained me some and I can't confirm that it is improvable so I will vote YES
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Shame on you Wolfteam! Test your crap next time! They did try something experimental, I'll give them that. I think you did an excellent job running this one down as quickly as possible. I do know some of the reasons why you fought some monsters, mostly because there was no 'invincibility time' between hits. So those big critters would of cost you more continues. Funny how the weapons you pick up make the whip look like it really should of been discarded. I mean, a rock killing a boss in a matter of a few hits. Or my personal favorite, the rock tied to a stick! I was entertained by the various things you did trying to keep the momentum up, like getting run over by the rocks in the first level. He gets bludgeoned in the head, and just goes flipping through the air, yet a bug does more damage to him. Anyhow, I voted yes. Edit: Oh, and did anyone else notice who was driving the car? Animated cookie to the one who can answer that one, heh.
Phear my uber gimpyness!
Former player
While the game was well played, I can't figure out why you would like this game. It looks like some flash game from the past, but with less planning. This game reminds me a lot of communism. I approve of this run, although I do not share this sentiment for communism.
hi nitrodon streamline: cyn-chine
Editor, Expert player (2459)
This is a humorous movie. There's actually quite a lot of action there, if you don't let other funny things (like grrraphics and annnimation) distract you. This should be accepted. I voted for it (the movie - not communism) a long time ago.
Active player (432)
Reviving the oldest submission.. Christ sake, what the hell did the programmers do with the poor character? I mean I got the feeling the guy is still in a beta version or something knowing how awkwardly and ugly he runs.. Thats why Im voting meh despite a fine and optimized effort by the author.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [733] Genesis Earnest Evans by Ouzo in 08:55.98
fruitbane
He/Him
I'm really impressed by some of the special effects the programmers pull off. I really wish, however, that they'd given the same attention to issues of gameplay. Good run through this game, too. Not enough crawling and diving and other funny hijinks in the down time after level completion, however.
Former player
No sound in AVI. Bad Maza.
Player (80)
Works For Me. (tm)
ideamagnate| .seen aqfaq <nothing happens> DK64_MASTER| .seen nesvideoagent * DK64_MASTER slaps forehead
Active player (277)
DefEdge wrote:
Edit: Oh, and did anyone else notice who was driving the car? Animated cookie to the one who can answer that one, heh.
I don't think anybody's going to answer. You'd better tell us.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
AnotherGamer wrote:
No sound in AVI. Bad Maza.
Works fine with me. What codecs (or codec packs) and players are you using? I have K-Lite+BSPlayer and works like a charm.
Which run should I encode next? :)
fruitbane
He/Him
Come on, it's Annette from El Viento driving the car! You peeps know that.
Player (101)
Yay Annette. =3 She plays a bigger role in the Mega CD version, which is the same game, except with cinemas.
http://girlyyy.com/ The El Viento TAS is the only decent thing I submitted here.
Player (29)
I gotta love the ending.
"The way to move out of judgment is to move into gratitude." — Neale Donald Walsch DannyLilithborne on IRC
I enjoyed a lot watching! Although this game is newer than El Viento, seems like the character animation was better in Annette's game. Congrats to Ouzo! I always wanted to see the ending of this game!